Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ProControl, Control|24, Command|8 (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Command 8 PT11 (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=309819)

Jon Webber 117 10-23-2011 02:24 AM

Command 8 PT11
 
I have heard a rumour that PT11, currently in development, will not support Command 8? Is this correct Avid? I have just bought one - shall I return it and go back to my old Mackie Universal Controller?

Dism 10-23-2011 03:04 AM

Re: Command 8 PT11
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Webber 117 (Post 1849783)
I have heard a rumour that PT11, currently in development, will not support Command 8? Is this correct Avid? I have just bought one - shall I return it and go back to my old Mackie Universal Controller?

The next major upgrade will not support the command 8.

SKI 10-24-2011 06:39 AM

Re: Command 8 PT11
 
Makes a lot of sense because they need some way to make the Artist Series sell to the users of the smaller PT setups.

Just looks like Avid is trying to distinguish themselves once again with more pro-like offerings.
It seems that since they want to continue to be considered the standard they are going back to a structure that is more like the old company structure.

The non-hardware version of PT would be the safety net that would still offer a lower cost solution for those not wanting to invest heavily into Avid products.

Interestingly enough the non-hardware PT will probably work out much better than the crippled LE versions did.

jorg 10-25-2011 02:49 AM

Re: Command 8 PT11
 
I think it's a horrible move from Avid.
No other company drops support for their hardware this aggressively in order to force sales of newer products.

I'm actually worried now about buying an Avid artist series because they obviously will drop support for the, eventually as well.
I think a Mackie Control Universal is the safer bet.

SKI 10-25-2011 10:40 AM

Re: Command 8 PT11
 
Not really.
Digidesign dropped support for many third party devices in the past, there is nothing that makes the HUI protocol safe from this.

The Artist stuff is not flying off the shelves and there was a lot invested in acquiring it so they have to make business related decisions to cover this.

When dealing with companies like Avid and Apple you learn that obsolesce is a normal business practice to a certain degree.

Dism 10-25-2011 12:55 PM

Re: Command 8 PT11
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jorg (Post 1851836)
I think it's a horrible move from Avid.
No other company drops support for their hardware this aggressively in order to force sales of newer products.

I'm actually worried now about buying an Avid artist series because they obviously will drop support for the, eventually as well.
I think a Mackie Control Universal is the safer bet.

This agressively??

Apple obsolescense is around 3 years. Most Avid stuff going extinct after nearly a decade.

chipss36 11-05-2011 02:41 AM

Re: Command 8 PT11
 
well thats it, just got the command 8 and now see this, this will be my last pt upgrade, off to another daw, last time you get to burn me evil empire...
the command 8 is a much better build than artist, and instead of building artist better, with IMO is cheep plastic junk from china you charge way to much for....just end support for something thats built well, and works well....

it is official, avid is worse at corporate greed than digi ever was...unreal..
see how this works out for you long term...your days are numbered..

Ray Lyon 11-06-2011 07:51 PM

Re: Command 8 PT11
 
Why would Avid ditch the Command 8? It's a simple MIDI device! What about PT 11 would make it impossible for it to be included?

philip888 11-06-2011 07:56 PM

Re: Command 8 PT11
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Lyon (Post 1861944)
Why would Avid ditch the Command 8? It's a simple MIDI device! What about PT 11 would make it impossible for it to be included?

Euphonix.

Ray Lyon 11-06-2011 08:09 PM

Re: Command 8 PT11
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by philip888 (Post 1861948)
Euphonix.

Care to elaborate? It would not make sense to alienate prior users so that PT is only compatible with one thing...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:23 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com