Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   I'm dying here!!!!!!!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=72887)

FatBelly 03-24-2003 07:22 PM

I\'m dying here!!!!!!!!

Ok heres the situation.

In CubaseSX in can get 26 stereo tracks with some effectS at 24bit/96Khz with the Aardvark Q10

I installed DIGI002, but when I start the program before I even open a session my cpu is up to 99%. What gives???

I've adjusted buffers up and down as well as paging file size and nothing helps.I turned off any processess running in the background that were not needed.

I can't figure it out. I would like to try and use PT since I hear so much about it, but I'm having a hard time doing it.

PLEASE HELP.
My system is a Gateway Performance 1400.
WWindowsXP Pro
P4 1.4Ghz
640MEGS PC800 RDRAM
40GB 7200RPM DRIVE
INTEL 850E CHIPSET
SIIG 3 PORT 1394 FIREWIRE CARD

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
FatBelly

blsmx8 03-24-2003 07:33 PM

Re: I\'m dying here!!!!!!!!

FB, I assume you are talking about your Windows CPU meter and not the one in PT? The Windows CPU meter being at 99% is normal for the Digi 002. Everything should work fine.

Chuck

Phil O'Keefe 03-24-2003 08:14 PM

There's a CPU meter INSIDE of Pro Tools - It's in one of the pull down menus - "Display CPU use meter" or something like that. Anyway, THAT'S the CPU meter to use... as Chuck already said, the Windows CPU meter will always show 99% use when running PT.

FatBelly 03-24-2003 08:48 PM

At the risk of sounding stupid are you guys saying that 99% CPU is normal for Windows CPU meter.

How can this be good?

I must be missing something. Is there a processor that doesn't show 99% usage.

FatBelly

Phil O'Keefe 03-24-2003 09:08 PM

It's just a bug or something... It's not REALLY gobbling up 100% of the CPU, but windows CPU meter says it is. Trust me, the meter to "trust" is the one WITHIN Pro Tools.

I'm able to open a heavy PT session with LOTS of Waves plug ins, plus Sound Forge and Adobe Acrobat and solitare - all at once... if PT was "really" using all of the CPU power, that couldn't happen. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

FYI, I'm running an Athlon XP 2700 CPU.

Scoobster 03-24-2003 09:14 PM

I don't know if it's a bug Phil. Some programs just grab all available cpu resources.

I know at work we use Lotus Notes as our main mail program and if there are 100% cpu resources available it will grab the lot. If there are other programs open then it will grab whatever they leave. If you then look at Memory usage you can get a different picture again. So I guess you kind of need to look at a number of different indicators to get a complete picture. Which I assume is what the cpu indicator within PT is doing.

Cheers

Gary O 03-24-2003 09:52 PM

Microsoft Access does the same thing.

Craig Betteridge 03-25-2003 01:25 AM

Also true with emagics Logic Audio - I think it has something to so with timing stability for either midi or audio...Looks strange, but is normal [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]