Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   WUP - renew or not? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=374861)

musicman691 11-29-2015 05:45 AM

WUP - renew or not?

In a couple of months I'll have WUP coming up for renewal and I have to ask - is it really worth it? I mean does Waves ever update plugins after they're out (barring bug fixes which I would think come out early on in a plugin's release)? Or is there something I'm missing with this?

Meads 11-29-2015 05:49 AM

Re: WUP - renew or not?

Have a look at their release notes to see what they are fixing:

http://www.waves.com/downloads/release-notes

I only ever upgrade if I find something in those notes that seems worthwhile, or when there's new plugins coming to mercury that are tempting.

Josh Voyles 11-29-2015 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2315316)
In a couple of months I'll have WUP coming up for renewal and I have to ask - is it really worth it? I mean does Waves ever update plugins after they're out (barring bug fixes which I would think come out early on in a plugin's release)? Or is there something I'm missing with this?

Unless you have the Mercury Bundle, there doesn't seem to be any advantage of renewing till you absolutely need support or there is a certain bug fix you absolutely need.

The beauty is you don't have to renew right away.

It seems like the longer you wait the more money you save.

JCBigler 11-29-2015 09:04 AM

Yep. My Platinum bundle WUP is going to expire today or tomorrow. Not planning to renew until they add something new to the Platinum bundle that is worth renewing for. Or I plan to just upgrade to Diamond.

Also, not sure I see the point of renewing WUP for individual plugins. Do they ever add new features to individual plugins?

nst7 11-29-2015 09:54 AM

To my knowledge, they have never added a feature to individual plugins, so no need to update those other than for compatibility issues.

Keep in mind that if you have both a bundle and sone individual plugins, you can work things to your advantage. First, WUP just the individual plugins. Then take the voucher they give you and apply it toward upgrading your bundle. Doing it this way, you can get all your products WUP'd for not much more than just upgrading your bundle.

knothardly 11-29-2015 11:15 AM

most plugs have not been updated in quite some time. only installer version changes and they call them that version. that is why i hate WUP... you pay a lot of money for a new 'installer' version and a version name change on each plug.

prime example the Q10. waves was founded in 1992 and their first plugin was the Q10. i am pretty sure it has not been worked on in over 20 yrs but you STILL pay WUP on it 'to keep it current' lol probably the only thing it has seen in 20 yrs is getting it to work in the rack and of course just the version number change. lol

WUP is a load of crap if you ask me. i like waves... i like their plugs but i am to the point of selling off everything i have from waves. i am NOT going to keep paying for old ass plugs. PERIOD (sadly you can not even GIVE away their plugs if not current WUP... they WILL NOT transfer them. it is their way of getting their share i reckon. FORK THAT!) ((but i did read recently they capped WUP cost to $300 which helps a tad... but STILL way too much. they should do away completely with the WUP imo))

p.s. WUP is waves' version of the subscription plan and i don't do subscription plans. they are NEVER worth it. (except maybe with the new Composer Cloud from EastWest... since those libraries are ungodly expensive lol)

Neil H 11-29-2015 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knothardly (Post 2315385)
most plugs have not been updated in quite some time. only installer version changes and they call them that version. that is why i hate WUP... you pay a lot of money for a new 'installer' version and a version name change on each plug.

prime example the Q10. waves was founded in 1992 and their first plugin was the Q10. i am pretty sure it has not been worked on in over 20 yrs but you STILL pay WUP on it 'to keep it current' lol probably the only thing it has seen in 20 yrs is getting it to work in the rack and of course just the version number change. lol

WUP is a load of crap if you ask me. i like waves... i like their plugs but i am to the point of selling off everything i have from waves. i am NOT going to keep paying for old ass plugs. PERIOD (sadly you can not even GIVE away their plugs if not current WUP... they WILL NOT transfer them. it is their way of getting their share i reckon. FORK THAT!) ((but i did read recently they capped WUP cost to $300 which helps a tad... but STILL way too much. they should do away completely with the WUP imo))

p.s. WUP is waves' version of the subscription plan and i don't do subscription plans. they are NEVER worth it. (except maybe with the new Composer Cloud from EastWest... since those libraries are ungodly expensive lol)

Changes and fixes are happening all the time, no you might not see any changes in sound or features but they are constantly making changes in the code to keep the plugins compatible with the ever changing landscape of operating systems and host DAW's this is what it takes for "old ass plugs" to keep on working with new OS's and DAW's - or maybe you don't want that? and would rather these plugins be discontinued so you couldn't use them at all?
If you want new things buy new plugins instead of a WUP but calling it a scam is a little short sighted.
Software is not the same as hardware so you cant look at it with the same analogy of buy it once it lasts forever (sure nothing changes if its working any you never update a single piece of software or hardware, but owning a computer isn't at all like that so come on its not quite the evil empire you might have it pitched as really is it?

knothardly 11-29-2015 11:56 AM

no not an evil empire. if you read... i said i like the plugs and i like waves but i hate the WUP. they are paid handsomely... well they have been over the years and it is their job to keep things functioning or else no one will buy. cheers

Wall2Wall 11-29-2015 12:20 PM

I have mercury and have wup'd once in 3 years. Never any need to pay yearly. For me there's no need to ever wup unless you are under mercury and they release a new plugin you want for free OR you are a constant OSX yearly updater. Waves is quick about fixing bugs within that first free year of wup you get with each new purchase.

BTW, I've gotten way more free usable plugins under waves mercury worth much more than what I paid for mercury way back when.

YYR123 11-29-2015 12:40 PM

How much was merq? $3k????