Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   MIDI Patch Names - From MIDI Forum (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=133590)

DigiTechSupt 04-05-2005 09:38 AM

MIDI Patch Names - From MIDI Forum

For information on using MIDI Patch Name files in Pro Tools, please read this document first:

Mac OS X Patch Names & MIDI Device Definitions

There are 2 things that you will need to get a MIDI patch names file to work properly in Pro Tools - the patch name file itself (.midnam) and a MIDI Device file that includes information on the device itself (.middev).

Once you have the MIDI patch name file, place it somewhere in the following folder:

MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Patch Names>

You can place it in the proper manufacturers folder inside the Digidesign folder located there or you can create a new folder - it won't matter which as long as it's in the MIDI Patch names folder it should work properly.

Next, you will need to edit a MIDI Devices file to include information on the device itself. The easiest way is to copy and paste the data for a similar device within the current MIDI Devices file. This file is located at:

MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Devices>Digidesign Device List.middev

You can edit any .middev file located in this folder - you do not have to use the Digidesign file.

If you open the .middev file with TextEdit, you will see a list of MIDI devices. Simply copy and paste the definition for one device, then edit the name of the copied section so that it reflects the EXACT name of your MIDI patch name file.

Here is an example:

<MIDIDeviceType Manufacturer="Access"

Model="Virus"

CanRoute="false"

SupportsMMC="false"

Image="OMS1039">

<DeviceID Min="1" Max="16" Default="1" Base="1" />

<Receives MaxChannels="16"

MTC="false"

Clock="false" />

<Transmits MaxChannels="0"

MTC="false"

Clock="true" />

</MIDIDeviceType>

<!-- ADA -->

<MIDIDeviceType Manufacturer="ADA"

Model="MP-1"

CanRoute="false"

SupportsMMC="false"

Image="OMS1026">

<DeviceID Min="1" Max="16" Default="1" Base="1" />

<Receives MaxChannels="1"

MTC="false"

Clock="false" />

</MIDIDeviceType>

The above section is from the Digidesign Device List.middev file and shows 2 devices - the Access Virus and the ADA MP-1. Each device is enclosed by the definition tags <MIDIDeviceType> and </MIDIDeviceType> (notice the forward slash in the second, closing tag.

You must copy and paste the text between and including those tags, then change the Manufacturer and Model to reflect the manufacturer and model of the midi device .midnam file you want to use. The manufacturer and model must be EXACTLY the same as what's used in the .midnam file. By copying and pasting the definition for a device that is similar to the device you're using - for instance, using the Roland JV-1080 definition for a JV-2080 - you will assure that at least most of the parameters will be set correctly in the definition.

Once you've copied, pasted and altered the mfr/model, save the .middev document. You should now be able to use the patch name file properly in Pro Tools.

bigbrendan 05-10-2005 09:59 PM

Re: Using 3rd party MIDI Patch Name files in Pro Tools

I have read everything Digidesign has to say on MIDI patchnames. . .

Ok, but what if no similar .midname is available for the DR 770 in my current library. I don't see a .midnam for say. . . the DR 660 that shipped with 6.4.1. As a mater of fact there are a surprisingly few number of .midnams that come with PT! The only patchname for a Boss product is the GX-700. Can I build a successful file from that or any other .midnam just by changing the manufacturer and model name? I have looked at lots of these in text edit and they all have very specific parameters that pertain to banks and not to mention the different patchnames. What a task! This seems like something that can be supported easily with the right download. We are just talking about text files here.

I'm even pulling out my 5.x disks looking through old OMS files for a DR 660.txt file I use to see. No use there, have to do an OMS install on 9.xNo way. I might have to fire up my 9600 and troll through the system/OMS/Factory Names.

Can anyone help here. I am going nuts setting patches every time I open a session. Heaven forbid I don't write the 770 patch name down before closing a session. Without that patch name (none) it will play a MIDI track with what ever kit was last used on the last pattern. I am going to pull out my hair!

bigbrendan 05-11-2005 12:47 PM

Collect .midnams for user download?

We need this resource badly. I have Worked out the text for The PC 88mx and the JV 1010 .midnam and could share. Can we collect these .midnam files for each other and find someone to host them on an FTP server or something? There should be thousands of us with patchnames called "none" on our MIDI tracks! Wouldn't it be nice to have that same voice every time you launch a session? Where are you all?

DigiTechSupt 05-11-2005 01:09 PM

Re: Collect .midnams for user download?

You might want to check out this site:

Digicake

bigbrendan 05-20-2005 09:33 PM

That guy at Digicake rocks and I now have a .midnam file for my Boss DR-770 but when I try to implement it I get this message: "An unknown error occured whiile attempting to parse this instruments's patch name document." Thanks for the info so far. Any ideas on this unknown error? It looks fine in text edit.

Dirk Reinking 05-23-2005 07:47 AM

try to open your midnam with the Prog "CherryPicker2.2" and save the file as a protools midnam file..there are 3 options....
and check the first sentence in your file..must be like this "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>.i can remember that i have the same message like you..but UTF-8 fix that...hope that helps ,take Care

bigbrendan 05-23-2005 10:07 PM

Yes! Yes! Yes! Cherry Picker 2.2 will do it. I had the earler version and Pro Tools friendly was not an option. What a half baked system of sort-of sandards! Why is all this .midnam borrowed from DP4 and MOTU? Oh Well. Thanks so much for the Help. I have learned a lot! Let's call for some standards though! MIDI needs something like what they do at the Motion Pictures Experts Group. I guess MIDI is no longer cutting edge though, just an after thought. But Thank You all. Drum Machine Patch Names here I come!

DigiTechSupt 05-24-2005 10:18 AM

The .midnam and .middev files were not created by MOTU, nor borrowed from them. The XML specs are part of a general 'interop' development movement that includes other programming languages like Java, HTML, XHTML and SGML. The language itself is still developing, which is why you can see slightly different 'standards' being used and why there can be compatibility issues. As with anything in it's infancy, some parts are still trial and error.

You can find more info on XML here:

Extensible Markup Language (XML) at the Society for Scholarly Publishing

jmcbrowne 06-24-2005 09:13 AM

Friends,
I've had good success with the MIDI patch name files I BOUGHT from http://skylightrecording.com/patches/.
It's listed as an alternate resource at the bottom of the Digicake page. Just go there, pay the 20-odd dollars,
and be done with it.
I'm trying to figure out why DigiTech doesn't just hire this guy . . .

RJ7 07-11-2005 10:12 PM

I totally agree. I could easily just create my own file but there is more needed than just a name and patch number. PT could use an interface to help create these files. One where we could give the patch name and number and it does the rest.

ottomoc 07-18-2005 07:51 AM

Hello all....
Bought the midnam files from skylight... Now I need middev file. I followed all of the advice about adding the device to middev file, but I get a message saying that "manufacturer/model info or instrument mode do not match". Sort of at the end of my rope here. I'm just trying to set up a Triton rack and a Kurzweil PC2, not exactly esoteric pieces. I'm also on a PC, which seems to limit my resources (Cherry Picker, etc...) Any help would be great.

wh3music 11-03-2005 06:05 PM

Hey... that error occurs ("An unknown error occured while attempting to parse this instruments's patch name document.") usually because of use of illegal characters in the file, particularly "&". I just wrote a couple of these files for my synths and figured out the hard way that you can't use certain characters... "&" needs to be written as "&amp;"

Hope that saves someone the hour or two it took me to figure that out!! Lol.

Ty Ford 12-08-2005 07:51 PM

RATS!!

I have a roland U-20. The Roland U-220 patch is throwing me a no recognize message and Digicake doesn't have a file. So does anyone else have a solution?

Thanks

Ty Ford

Ty Ford 12-13-2005 05:54 AM

Re: Using 3rd party MIDI Patch Name files in Pro T

Well I Changed both files as you said and still get a message that the patch name file manufat/model name or instrument mode do not match.

I am trying to continue to use the Roland U-20 as an entry and sound module device.

PTLE7 sees the U20 now, but I can't bring up the sound patches.

What next? What's an instrument mode?

Ty Ford

SHC 01-05-2006 11:20 AM

Hi -

Digi support was kind enough to e-mail me the .midnam and.middev files for my Kurzweil K2600. They apparently are included in PT 7. I have PT 6.9.2, however, which doesn't have them (I purchased my Digi 002 w/PT 6.9 a couple of weeks before PT7 came out).

I placed my .middev file as instructed above in this thread, i.e. MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Devices>Digidesign Device List.middev.

I also placed my .midnam file in MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Patch Names> as stated above.

When I open a patch, however, there is no patch name just "Midi #_" . When I then clik on "change" and run through the files, I do find the appropriate .midnam file Digi e-mailed me, but when I clik on that file, I still get the following message:

Pro Tool cannot find the appropriate patch name because ... either the manufacturer/model info or instrument mode don't match.

Any thoughts on what I might do?

Thank you.

cherrypicker 01-05-2006 04:54 PM

You might try deleting the K2600 device from Apple's AudioMIDI Setup app, and then add it back in again, connecting it to the same ports. Make sure you choose 'Kurrzweil' from the manufacturer popup menu, and 'K2600' from the model popup - Don't just type in 'K2600' into the text field at the top - it will automatically populate itself if all is well with the middev file. For some reason, this often helps sort out this kind of problem!

SHC 01-05-2006 06:04 PM

Thanks cherrypicker - I actually had given that a try but after reading your post, I tried again. Still no luck - keep getting that same message. I'm a bit baffled as I'm using Digi PT 7's own .midnev and .midnam files.

**cherrypicker, after sending this last post, I opened up the .midnam and discovered you wrote
it! Do I have to buy the 7.0 upgrade to make the patch names work?

dupecoop 01-20-2006 02:43 PM

I have a somewhat different problem. My Roland JV-1010 is working fine in PT 7 LE but my "vocal expansion" voices are not showing up. I found a vocal expansion midnam, but placing it in the Patches folder did nothing. Do I need to modify the 1010 midnam and paste in the vocal expansion info? I did try that and got nothing, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

And would I need to modify the middev as well?

You'd think the manufacturers would have these files for download on their websites, wouldn't you?

John Palermo

Trackside 09-19-2006 09:57 AM

I notice that this is the most widely read subject in this section.....which must tell Digidesign/ Pro Tools something..
I am another sufferer of missing Patch files for a Yamaha Tyros.....probably the most popular top of the range 'arranger' keyboards on the market. Anyone who is familiar with Yamaha knows that they use much higher quality sounds than just GM or GM2....namely XF , Cool voices and much more.

I do not relish the painful task of trying to creat my own Patch name list, in fact I do not see why I should need too.....so the question is ,,,What do Digidesign/PT propose to do to rectify this situation....or perhaps someone has already got a source for Tyros Patch names ...in which case I would be eternally grateful for a copy.

I look forward to responses with interest.
LeoD

spkguitar 09-19-2006 12:30 PM

Tyros is the new generation of the Yamaha PSR generic consumer line of products (keyword there: NEW). While they may have better sounds than the old PSR stuff, and be the "most popular" consumer level yamaha workstation, the fact remains that they are still new.

If Digidesign were to develop patch name files for every new product, they would need all of their resources to be focused on creating patch name files for new gear, instead of fixing/enhancing the current product line. Personally, I would much rather have them making the Pro Tools software better than chasing after every new product trying to create patch files, and honestly, that's not really their job. They have created the ability to add/edit the files required to do this, and in my opinion, it should be up to the manufacturer of the product to provide these files.

On the Windows side of things, the patch name functionality is fairly new. There never used to be a way to define patch names in the Windows version; you had to do everything by number for a long time. Be thankful that the functionality is even there at all. (I certainly am).

Now, I definitely agree with you; there needs to be a better way to create them, but since Digidesign has left the format open, I think a third party developer is about the only way we're going to see progress on this issue. On the MAC side, Cherry Picker seems to be the favorite and apparently works very well. Unfortunately, there isn't a comparable product for the windows side of things (yet).

Trackside 09-19-2006 04:27 PM

To Spk Gtr...
Many thanks for you candid response, which I appreciate. I do not know whether or not you speak for PT , but I imagine they would agree with your comments. I will now off and see what if anything I can do with Cherry Picker...and see how far that gets me....I may also put the arm on Yamaha to produce something, but would not be too hopeful there.

Meanwhile while `i have your ear and `i see that you are a very active member (therefore committed) perhaps you can clarify a little something for me.....namely with my Yamaha Tyros (arranger Kbd) MIDIed up to MBox2 and Protools....is it possible to record the "Total" output from Tyros onto (up to) 16 midi channels at the one time. while also recording a vocal track on the Audio channel

I have tried to do this myself without success and have had conflicting from dealer users etc as to the possibilities.

If you can help please let me know, as having had Protools for 12 months now ...I'm kind of DESPERATE
If there is a way to do this, I need to find out how, in order to record i the way that I wish

I look forward to any responses on this issue
LeoD

Trackside 09-23-2006 07:34 AM

To: DIGITECH TECH SUPPORT....ADMINISTRATOR
& To: ALL

Further my difficulties in this area and some posts on same , I have been working hard on "Yamaha TYROS" Middev and Madnam files, following the good instructions by tech Admin on the subject at the start of this thread..
I have also bee following instructions on Page 194 of instruction manual on "Recording to instrument & MIDI tracks...in particular...recording MULTIPLE channels from the same device, capturing data from a SPLIT keyboard.

For the first time I have had some limited success, but not yet quite right. I was hoping to upload some files to show what I have done but do not see a facility for this. I will therefore have to explain as best I can ...the results of my efforts.

1. 12 Channels armed for rec in MIDI
2. All channels recorded some reflecting the correct sounds....others just play as Piano
3. Occassionally I get some funny sounds like "Whistle" coming in
4. Channel Volumes/Pans do not reflect the vols/Pans set on Kbd.

Middev File.... I modified Yamaha's CVP107/109 Middev to Tyros.
Midnam.......... ditto ditto... Please note that the Patch name files seem to bear no relation to the way patches (voices) are organised on the Tyros...eg under Piano you will find all sorts like strings...brass.. flute ...almost anything.

As an alternative I have got my hands on a TYROS Patch list ...which seems to be organised ..per the keyboard,but this is a .txt file & not .xml Protoole does not seem to recognise same.
In this file voices/Patches are organised in groups and listed as follows....

" PIANO BANK" *11
(0 113 0) [001] "Grand Piano"
(0 112 1) [002] "Bright Piano"
(0 112 6) [003] "Harpsichord"
etc; etc;
As I said this listing is organised exactly as per the TYROS....ie in banks and voices...
Perhaps ther is a way to convert these to xml or a format which PT recognises

It's a pity I could not upload the files I mentioned...or is there a way which this may be done...

I look forward to some helpful responses on my queries

Many thanks
LeoD

accession 09-23-2006 06:34 PM

re: Yamaha TYROS

- Do you have a list of the banks of presets?
- Do you know what the bank select codes (MSB/LSB or cc00/cc32) are used to recall the banks over MIDI?

If you have this, I can make you the patch list using CherryPicker in almsot as much time as it's taken to write this message.

Happy to do it for you if you can track down the above.

Trackside 09-24-2006 10:01 AM

Quote:

re: Yamaha TYROS

- Do you have a list of the banks of presets?
- Do you know what the bank select codes (MSB/LSB or cc00/cc32) are used to recall the banks over MIDI?

If you have this, I can make you the patch list using CherryPicker in almsot as much time as it's taken to write this message.

Happy to do it for you if you can track down the above.

ACCESSION
Thank you so much for your response above....you have made my day.
The TYROS Manual makes no reference at all to "Bank Sel Codes MSB/LSB...however I don't think all is lost. I also own a PSR9000 (predecessor to Tyros) which has a much more detailed manual and happens to have the MSB / LSB codes for all the voices.

When checking this against the Tyros list I have I realised (as a lot of the voices/codes are the same ...that the coding in my last post actually includes the MSB / LSB coding...

example...."PIANO BANK * 11"
(0 113 0 ) [001 ] Grand Piano
Reading the numbers from left to right.........0=MSB code (all tyros voices have 0 as MSB code)
113=LSB code
0=MIDI change programme no.
[001]=Category order ....the order that the voice appears on kbd display

Assuming that this is the info you require I will e-mail you the TYROS list I have.....if you forward a mail add. to "[email protected]"

I would be most graeful for your assistance..
best regards
LeoD

accession 09-24-2006 09:45 PM

Quote:

I would be most graeful for your assistance..
best regards
LeoD

Check you email. There's a start there.

Turning out to take longer than expected given the MSB/LSB are in no particular to cater for the custom banks (that Pro Tools doesn't support as such).

DESVED 11-20-2006 06:08 PM

DR 880 Boss midnam Patch?

Any one having knowledge of a Boss DR 880 Patch for PT ??

I can't make the DR 880 to replay the program changes I recorded in PT... maybe it's because of not using the right patch ??? ...

qbfree 01-27-2007 09:02 AM

Re: DR 880 Boss midnam Patch?

I am also looking for a DR-880 midnam patch. I've searched the web and so far no luck. If you have one or find one, I would appreciate getting a copy. Thanks.

manis 03-21-2007 10:18 PM

i had some trouble with the Roland SC-880.., (i eventually had to remove device from midi studio and create it again to stop it from crashing evrytime I tried to open the patch list) I have found both midnam and middev files in the protools files.., I have read through all the thread and nowhere do you say (with all respect) where to put the .middev file or if the middev and midnam file go into the same 'MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Patch Names>' folder, or are they copied and pasted as one file and then placed in the MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Patch Names> folder.., or do you copy the middev script and paste it in the texteditor as a separate file, separate from the file with the lists of .middev scripts.

what I need to know is where do and how do.., the .middev

the midnam. I understand goes into the 'MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Patch Names>' folder

thanks for any help.

manis 03-22-2007 06:26 PM

found the DR-880 in rolands set of .midman

somewhere on this thread is a link that will take you there, download the 1 meg file and you will find your DR-880 (55 or whatever, they are all there) there.

anyone can help me with how to use both midnam and middev I would be eternally grateful and so would my computer, PT and my SC-880
cheers

manis 03-22-2007 07:51 PM

the fix for patching the 880?? OK.., I found it.., get the SC-88 from the generic list in the middev folder, look for and copy copy the 'SC-88' file with the text editor, put it into the same folder as the 'midi patch' folder HD/libary/audio/midi patchnames. find the SC-88 midnam in the roland list in the midi patch folder and change the name in the file with the text editor from SC-88 to SC-880 and thats it. now select the SC-88.madnam and you are in buisness.

you only have to add one 0 to the name of the device in the midnam file.., not the whole script.., and away you go. no problem, all instruments and banks available.., like magic

DESVED 03-23-2007 12:45 PM

Manis Thx ... I will try this soon.

I'll get back to it with the results.

manis 03-29-2007 04:45 PM

no joy?

er1c 06-18-2008 08:15 AM

Is it working on Windows 24 Mix 6.4.1 ?

spkguitar 06-19-2008 06:06 AM

No. This feature wasn't introduced in the Windows version until 6.7, IIRC.

er1c 06-19-2008 11:45 AM

Damn.. Thanks, now, i know!

cmaynes 07-03-2008 04:29 PM

Midinam issues....

Dear Digidesign,

I have had a very long relationship with you and your products, I am petitioning you today to please look into the oddball implementation ProTools uses for Midiname files- It seems that there is no way, without MUCH manual trouble to make generated midinam XML files correctly work in ProTools. On behalf of all of us users still using MIDI hardware, could please consider talking to companies like MOTU and SoundQuest on how the Patch files they generate- (which appear to be fine on other applications) might work in ProTools....

Thanks!

Charles Maynes

blackmacdaddy 10-18-2008 06:57 PM

Re: Midinam issues....

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmaynes (Post 1262188)
Dear Digidesign,

...I am petitioning you today to please look into the oddball implementation ProTools uses for Midiname files

Yes! Although it says on SoundQuest's site that with their XL version you can easily create midnams in Pro Tools -- is this correct? Or is it still somewhat convoluted?

If so, I just need $369 to get into all my midi devices. Sheesh. :D

Any good/cheap info is much appreciated too!

Best ;) Walt

accession 10-19-2008 01:21 AM

Re: Midinam issues....

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackmacdaddy (Post 1295344)
If so, I just need $369 to get into all my midi devices. Sheesh. :D

Any good/cheap info is much appreciated too!

Does Black Mac Daddy own a Mac?

http://www.alterspective.com/cherrypicker/

Sure, Digidesign should license it and bundle it with Pro Tools, but they don't. However, this little free app works just perfect on its own.

logandrum 11-08-2008 12:35 PM

Re: MIDI Patch Names - From MIDI Forum

I followed the directions perfectly, and when I look for the patch names in PT I get an error message stating that there is a conflict between the device and its names. I downloaded the fantomXR.midnam from digicake and I placed it in the correct folder- I then editing the digilist file with text edit and saved it with my Roland device info- Pro Tools does not recognize something? Is there anything I am missing? Thanks, Brett

Shifted Music 02-01-2009 12:39 AM

Re: MIDI Patch Names - From MIDI Forum

Has anyone done this for a SE-1X???... OR have the patch names in a text file or something. . I am down to use Cherry Picker but I can't seem to fin the patch list ANYWHERE...