Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 - High pitched, faster recorded issues (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=392594)

Stef1342 07-23-2017 05:59 AM

Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 - High pitched, faster recorded issues

Good afternoon,

I've recently purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8. I've installed the drivers as (Focusrite control 2.1.7 and Focusrite USB4.36.0.484). When recording in Protools 12.7.0 I experience warped playback (high pitched, sped up). Even if I'm not recording, if I have the track record enabled there is a slightly distorted sound.

I'm a little stuck as to what might be the cause of the problem. I've tried reinstalling the drivers. I've tried a couple of sample rates (44.1, 48, 96kHz) with multiple buffer sizes.

If anyone has any ideas or has experienced this issue before please let me know. I'm at my wits end!!

Thanks,

Stef1342

jeam25 07-23-2017 09:41 AM

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 - High pitched, faster recorded issues

Hi sounds to me like other app is taking control of the driver while using PT .

Maybe windows .? Check sound panel and verify that the Focusrite isnt the default playback device for windows while using PT .

Also check what others app are running in background and make shure to disable them at startup . ( You want avid and, ilok services only running here , at least for troubleshooting )

Let us know !

Stef1342 07-23-2017 01:31 PM

Hi Jeam25,

I checked. The focusrite had been set as the device used for windows so I've changed that. I've also checked the start up apps as you recommended and disabled anything that may use sound. Unfortunately this hasn't resolved the problem! :(

Thanks for the suggestion though. Much appreciated!

Stef1342

Darryl Ramm 07-23-2017 01:45 PM

Try setting the sample rate in the Focusrite Control software and then start Pro Tools with a session at that same sample rate.

If pre-existing/previously recorded content is at the wrong sample rate for a session you need to import that into the session with sample rate conversion applied.

gonsdeejay 07-23-2017 02:34 PM

Try To Run Pro Tools holding "N" key just after Pro Tools Logo appear, then after several seconds depend on how many plugins are installed, will appear Playback Engine dialog, There just grab another Audio Device different to Focusrite, after that, before open a session, go again to settings and chose your scarlett again, maybe that resolve your playback issue!!!!

Stef1342 07-24-2017 01:16 PM

Thanks Darryl Ramm and gonsdeejay. I have tried both but unfortunately haven't had any luck. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep working on it and let you know if I manage to resolve the issue.

jeam25 07-24-2017 01:20 PM

Hi ! Sorry to hear that . Also check what device is controlling your word clock ? And what number is it set ?

jeam25 07-24-2017 03:45 PM

Also i remember helping somebody with a Scarlett sometime ago and I read somewhere that Focusrite recommend to disable Fast Boot on windows 10 for sclarlett . Do you have this setting Turned OFF ?

Here how to do it ! :-)

Matthew.Focusrite 07-25-2017 08:34 AM

Hi Stef1342,

Sorry to hear about the playback issues using the Scarlett 18i8 with Pro Tools, but we are more than happy to help. First, please take the time to go through the appropriate Avid optimization guide for your system found in the following link:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en367983

After implementing the listed steps, please proceed with closing any additional background applications and verify the device is not selected in the Windows sound properties. When launching Pro Tools, it is recommended that the program is ran as an administrator. Once opened, please test further to verify if issues are still present.

If you are still encountering difficulty, please feel free to contact us through the following link so we may investigate further:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Stef1342 07-25-2017 02:22 PM

Hi Jeam25,

Please excuse my ignorance but my word clock? :S

And yes I read that focusrite recommend that to therefore I had already disabled it. Unfortunately that hasn't solved the issue. I've also just uninstalled and reinstalled pro tools in the hope that it may resolve the issue but again it hasn't. When I plugged in my old audio interface the same issue is occurring so I'm really confused now!!

Thanks,

Stefan