Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   I press play, it doesn't play. hehe - any advice? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=188611)

awritersparadise 01-31-2007 09:26 PM

I press play, it doesn\'t play. hehe - any advice?

I just bought a brand new computer to dedicate for pro tools. *LE 7.31*
amd athlon 64 x2 duo core 4600 - 2 gigs of ram.
This thing runs pro tools like a dream compared to my 3ghz pentium 4 I used PT on these
past 2-3 years.

Now that I've said that, I've noticed one small problem.
Many times (mostly when in record mode), I hit play (or record, either one) and both the blue STOP button and the blue PLAY button lights up onscreen. It doesn't play anything.. and the buttons are no longer lighted. Sometimes it'll even play the first millisecond and just stop. (again, the blue play/stop lights both illuminate then go off)

Then after it does this 2-3 times... it works fine - plays/records just fine.
Seems to do this at random - and I'm getting no error messages.

buffer set default level 2 - highest samples (tried them all)..

any idea?

any help or suggestions would be DEARLY appreciated!

Thanks so much!

S

awritersparadise 02-01-2007 10:04 PM

Re: I press play, it doesn\'t play. hehe - any adv

anyone? You guys are usually flooded with solutions!

- also I've noticed sometimes when the tracks play, the midi stuff (even the digi click track) will be silent for 5-6 seconds and then plays bunches of clicks real fast before doing it on time. (like the midi had a bufferring prob and needed to catch up..)

Stiff 02-01-2007 11:07 PM

No solution for you mate, but the same thing occasionally happens to me with a completely different setup (I'm on Mac) which leads me to believe it isn't a hardware problem.

Haven't noticed the other problem you are talking about though.

lode 02-02-2007 12:59 AM

It happens to me too some times. There seems to be no apparent reason why, and it usually goes away the next day.

The strange thing is that PT gives no error message when this happens. That is really unusual for a computer program. You give it a command (play), you can see it prepares to execute and then it just stops without giving you a reason.

This happens whetever I'm using the space button or the play button on the 002.

rems 02-02-2007 08:55 AM

There was a response from Digi some time ago that helped ME, and I mean ME because there seems to be various solutions to the same problem. I deleted the prefetch file named "protools" at C/windows/prefetch. Hope this helps.

rems 02-02-2007 08:58 AM

here it is

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...v=#Post1093935

awritersparadise 02-02-2007 10:13 PM

thanks -
yeah how strange.. I rebooted my machine just now and for one moment it's not doing it... although I'm sure it'll start back in a few
I'll try the prefetch fix.. thanks for the suggestion..
now I have yet another new problem.. started just now.. absolutely no changes to my system or setup but all of a sudden all my waves plugins are crashing pro tools. the moment I add them to a track, the signal either goes away and pro tools shuts down, or it gets immediately distorted (and I mean LOUD!) and pro tools shuts down.

worked completely fine all the other days since I bought the computer but today it starts this!

will this troubleshooting ever end!

Escape 02-03-2007 07:18 AM

Update to the latest version of waves.

The Weed 02-03-2007 10:19 AM

And if you have an ATI or ATI based video card, get the latest display driver only, do not load the Catalyst Control Center. This has helped me with the same problem.

Cheers,

WilliamDC 02-11-2007 05:24 AM

I believe I found out what my problem was with this particular issue. It was my SB soundcard. If I disable the card prior to going into Pro Tools, I never see the issue. I've tested it by using my system for a few days (this isn't a dedicated DAW computer) and then wait for the problem to come up. If I disable my SB without even closing Pro Tools, the issue goes away instantly. I guess this goes to show how other hardware in your system can effect PT.