Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid Cloud Collaboration (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   Yes to cloud collaboration! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=363483)

reichman 01-23-2015 07:14 AM

Yes to cloud collaboration!

Just to counter some of the negativity here, I'm really excited about the cloud functionality. I work with multiple editors, who are often in remote locations, and we're currently using Dropbox. Being able to import their edits into my existing template over the internet without leaving Pro Tools would be a big improvement to my workflow.

I'm looking forward to PT12!

spoons 01-23-2015 07:29 AM

Re: Yes to cloud collaboration!

Funny that Avid's ads have only mentioned music production, when this seems like it would be such a great post feature. They need to get track freeze working though if this is going to work, but there is no mention of that yet.
The plug-in marketplace will also be useful if it's priced right.

Frank Kruse 01-23-2015 07:52 AM

Will be interesting to read about how this system is secured.
Especially with regards to post-production folks and the strict NDAs we're often tied to. (remember Dropbox, Adobe, Sony and other data-breaches?)
Will this service offer end-to-end encryption?

Thanks,

Frank.

bashville 01-23-2015 08:07 AM

There are lots of details that hopefully they'll take the time to clarify after this weekend is over. There are some "Everywhere" demos that look like they have track freeze functioning, but they're sure not making much mention of it in the product pages.

TOM@METRO 01-23-2015 08:48 AM

At NAMM yesterday there was a functioning Track Freeze in the public presentation.

Niilo Nuori 01-23-2015 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 2224513)
At NAMM yesterday there was a functioning Track Freeze in the public presentation.

Hallelujah! Finally in 2015. The speed of Avid's sw development is mind boggling :eek:

jasonthurley 01-23-2015 10:00 AM

No way this will work for post by streaming real time, if anything it will work similar to Isis and Sphere, that simply spits out proxy files to your local disk in the background over the internet.... internet connection speed still matters

I assume that the music part of this could possibly be streamed in real time with some but little delay such as using something like Source Connect but possibly using the Cloud as the HD platter to be able to "share" a session in a couple locations.

However the best post yet is about the security... I see so many technology companies going to these huge cloud based shares that are just asking for hackary... remember the ZEUS TROJAN? Im sure millions of people still have it on their PC's and dont know it to this day.

Only time will tell how this possible monstrosity will work

mesaone 01-23-2015 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonthurley (Post 2224554)
No way this will work for post by streaming real time

It doesn't stream real time.

reichman 01-23-2015 10:42 AM

I don't think it's streaming (that would be a nightmare). I think Avid Everywhere is a shared track database where you can upload and download tracks to your collaborators. THAT is what I need and am looking forward to. Especially during the revision process where we have enormous sessions, but are making tiny tweaks to them.

jasonthurley 01-23-2015 10:50 AM

I totally see the use for a lot of production houses, but we already do that without the risk of 3rd party storage (Avid Cloud?) that I am sure we will have to pay a monthly or annual fee for an allotted amount of space by using private shared storage... I can share the data with anyone anywhere pretty easily already so why is this such a great thing?

1.Pay for this cloud storage is how much per amount of data?
2.Security of said "Avid Cloud" is what?
3. Can they GUARENTEE my sessions can never be hacked into or breached or stolen or shared?
4. Does this solve the same session being opened by simultaneous users ast the same time(most likely not, and that's the main feature most people I know would want)?
5. Is this just another Proxy server with a fancy name? Cause I can already create one now without paying Avid for their version.

Is there any kind of spect data post about this somewhere yet?