Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Licensing & Accounts (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   New subscription deal??? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405267)

rdpar 06-18-2019 11:19 AM

New subscription deal???

Please explain. I am seeing my renew plan @$99.00 a year or subscribe for $299.00 a year . If my math is right that is triple what I'm paying now. What is the advantage to getting a subscription.

JFreak 06-18-2019 11:21 AM

Re: New subscription deal???

If you already have a perpetual license you can crossgrade it to 99/year subscription

rdpar 06-18-2019 11:22 AM

Ok , cool . How do I do that?:-)

Teej 06-18-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdpar (Post 2529842)

Just to be clear...with your current deal if you stop paying Pro Tools still works. With the 99 a year, you stop paying, Pro Tools will not open for you until you start paying again.

rdpar 06-18-2019 11:28 AM

so what is the advantage to going to subscription?

FilterDecay 06-18-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdpar (Post 2529845)

1 update a year

rdpar 06-18-2019 11:31 AM

1 update to subscription plan or perpetual plan.

FilterDecay 06-18-2019 11:32 AM

the only thing avid can give you is some plug ins and updates. As it is now we are going 5-6 months between updates.

rdpar 06-18-2019 11:34 AM

What will the subscription plan give me that the perpetual plan doesn't?

FilterDecay 06-18-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdpar (Post 2529852)
What will the subscription plan give me that the perpetual plan doesn't?

the beatings will continue until moral improves!

rdpar 06-18-2019 11:37 AM

:-):D:p:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

leftalive 06-18-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdpar (Post 2529845)

As of July, it'll be half as much money as perpetual, to renew every year.

That's it.

This is pretty clearly another step toward a fully (and only) Adobe style subscription based model.

FilterDecay 06-18-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftalive (Post 2529858)
As of July, it'll be half as much money as perpetual, to renew every year.

That's it.

This is pretty clearly another step toward a fully (and only) Adobe style subscription based model.

but adobe is a well run company. Avid is riddled with debt and every day I fully expect to see it go bankrupt in the news. Im not giving up my living betting on the off chance that avid will be around for the next 20 years.

gnjlee 06-18-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FilterDecay (Post 2529861)
but adobe is a well run company. Avid is riddled with debt and every day I fully expect to see it go bankrupt in the news. Im not giving up my living betting on the off chance that avid will be around for the next 20 years.

And the Adobe subscription is a fairly good deal.. Have you seen all the apps you get with it? Not so with this overpriced subscription from AVID. I would be tempted if AVIDs other products were grouped together for 49.00 a month. As it stands @ 29 a month, it is not a good deal for me.

hitsville 06-18-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2529840)
If you already have a perpetual license you can crossgrade it to 99/year subscription

who in their right mind would surrender a perpetual license to 'crossgrade' to a subscription :confused:

also what happens when they eventually raise that subscription price by 100% as well :(

JFreak 06-18-2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hitsville (Post 2529871)
who in their right mind would surrender a perpetual license to 'crossgrade' to a subscription :confused:

Someone who wants to save 200/year?

FilterDecay 06-18-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2529886)

how are they saving $200 a year?

ssccrab 06-18-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdpar (Post 2529842)

You DON'T! Because it wouldn’t be smart to give up a license you own to spend money on a monthly rental you don't own.

And Avid is counting on that.

Emi 06-18-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssccrab (Post 2529911)
You DON'T! Because it wouldn’t be smart to give up a license you own to spend money on a monthly rental you don't own.

And Avid is counting on that.

Exactly, I can't believe this is happening. No more renewal for me....

Cowboy Bob 06-18-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FilterDecay (Post 2529887)
how are they saving $200 a year?

Yeah you’re saving $100 per year not $200, but with that, you give up the option standing on a certain version because you surrender your perpetual license.

As others have pointed out, you can only play if you pay. You’ll lose the ability to open any of your sessions once you stop paying you subscription because PT will cease to work.

While I agree $199 per year isn’t that huge of a deal, and is a business expense, or even the price of yearly hobby if that’s what you’re doing, it is the way it is being rolled out.

I for one will not surrender a perpetual license.

FilterDecay 06-18-2019 05:10 PM

avid should of raised the price on us ultimate users. I gotta buy it. They need to learn to spear the whales.

rdpar 06-18-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

What I saw was that the subscription was going to be about $25.00 a month. That's triple the perpetual price . o explain or show me where the sub. price is $200 less than perp.

coolbass 06-18-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Here we go again. The great Avid defender.
Actually, it is pretty nauseating....

leftalive 06-18-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hitsville (Post 2529871)
also what happens when they eventually raise that subscription price by 100% as well :(

and with two weeks notice...

LizziF 06-18-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FilterDecay (Post 2529861)

This is what concerns me. If I buy 2 years worth of annual upgrades at $99 each, it will cover me until 9/21. The way this is sounding, it reminds me a lot of Sonar before Cakewalk got sold off. The good part is Sonar still works if I want to use it (no DRM) and there is the free version. I can't see ProTools suddenly being sold and available for free. Just going out of business. And maybe the iLok still working. I am going to be stuck with Cubase. Yuk.

xrekcor 06-19-2019 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizziF (Post 2529984)
This is what concerns me. If I buy 2 years worth of annual upgrades at $99 each, it will cover me until 9/21. The way this is sounding, it reminds me a lot of Sonar before Cakewalk got sold off. The good part is Sonar still works if I want to use it (no DRM) and there is the free version. I can't see ProTools suddenly being sold and available for free. Just going out of business. And maybe the iLok still working. I am going to be stuck with Cubase. Yuk.

Actually Cubase isn’t that bad... a lil different but pretty good really.... I just prefer the workflow of PT

Aquic 06-19-2019 01:20 AM

I'll be standing in PT12 until humanity is extinguished.

I think that maybe because Trump, American companies believe that they can do with people what they want without consequences. The same goes for sinking the development of the 5G in Europe crushing Huawei, than crushing Mexico or Europe with tariffs, than convert ProTools lifetime users in suscriptors with no reason, and with no real update of his software that is worth paying a single dollar more.

As soon as I finish with the album that I am producing, I am going to give a chance to other softwares, because I think I'm getting off the boat.

Congratulations AVID, I have been a ProTools User since 1997 when I was in ProTools III. You got it! I'm out!

Meads 06-19-2019 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbass (Post 2529965)
Here we go again. The great Avid defender.
Actually, it is pretty nauseating....

Yep, revolting. And amusing at the same time in how unsophisticatedly he's doing it. There's no subtlety or wit. If I were Avid I'd hire a more capable person to work in trying to steer conversations and "brand image". In its current form it's money not well spent, I'd say.

Nathan43082 06-19-2019 06:36 AM

Well, finally time to give a switch to Logic Pro X more serious consideration.

Aquic 06-19-2019 07:42 AM

Unfortunately, I can not mix with Logic Pro X, as I need to use all my interfaces and all the outboard gear attached to them. Otherwise, I would give it a chance! Yep!

gnjlee 06-19-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizziF (Post 2529984)
The way this is sounding, it reminds me a lot of Sonar before Cakewalk got sold off.

OMG I was thinking the EXACT same thing. It isn't exactly the same as CW sold forever licenses of sonar... in this case, could AVID be trying to sell as many license renewals as possible at 99.00 to get a needed cash influx before the sh*t hits the fan?

melloj 06-20-2019 11:14 AM

You need your head examined if you surrender software you already own and "crossgrade" to a rental subscription. I paid a grand for my HD/Ultimate licence no way am I handing it back, and then continue paying to use it! Are they insane!!!? Its an attractive deal to those who cannot afford a perpetual Ultimate licence, for vanilla users they can rent as they need it. I also don't have a problem with the update plan, Waves have had one for years, but I only want to update when I need to. I've been reading posts here and elsewhere all day as I only found out about it this morning, and by almost all accounts everyone is horrified. Just reiterate what every other perpetual owner has stated,

I.WILL.NEVER.SURRENDER.MY PERPETUAL.LICENCE!

I'll jump ship first. Reaper is supposed to be good.

gnjlee 06-20-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloj (Post 2530285)
You need your head examined if you surrender software you already own and "crossgrade" to a rental subscription. I paid a grand for my HD/Ultimate licence no way am I handing it back, and then continue paying to use it! Are they insane!!!? Its an attractive deal to those who cannot afford a perpetual Ultimate licence, for vanilla users they can rent as they need it. I also don't have a problem with the update plan, Waves have had one for years, but I only want to update when I need to. I've been reading posts here and elsewhere all day as I only found out about it this morning, and by almost all accounts everyone is horrified. Just reiterate what every other perpetual owner has stated,

I.WILL.NEVER.SURRENDER.MY PERPETUAL.LICENCE!

I'll jump ship first. Reaper is supposed to be good.

I suppose a couple of people will do that. Just to backup your assertion, the entry point to Pro Tools historically has been a non-trivial amount of money. The license rental cost for one product is also non-trivial. Handing avid your license for a discount on a subscription that you have no guarantee of price change isn't a good idea.

wdaweb 06-23-2019 06:18 PM

After thinking about this for a few days, I've purchased another DAW. There are some benefits for subscriptions for some people, but not for all. Maybe it's not a large enough portion for them to care about. I don't know.

I could see a small increase for the perpetual renewal, but to jump from $99 to $199. Even though $199 is nothing for me, in my opinion, that's not a good deal for what you get(based on what I've seen in the product over the past two years - although the latest version has been pretty stable on my machine), especially if you're surrendering the ability to open Pro Tools if you decide not to renew. But I'm just one guy and I can guess how much one guys opinion means.

I read somewhere on this board that this reminded someone of what happened with Cakewalk. I found that interesting because that product is available again, has ongoing development, gets frequent updates, and is FREE. I know Avid is a much different company than BandLab, but maybe there's a business model lesson in there somewhere??

Personally, I really like Pro Tools 2019. It's going to be a pain to migrate some of the stuff I've been working on. I get that the company might need more revenue. But the way I'm seeing this, they don't want perpetual users any more. Maybe I'm wrong, but ok, message received.

I miss my multi-track analog tape and gear!

LightWing 06-24-2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnjlee (Post 2530303)
I suppose a couple of people will do that. Just to backup your assertion, the entry point to Pro Tools historically has been a non-trivial amount of money. The license rental cost for one product is also non-trivial. Handing avid your license for a discount on a subscription that you have no guarantee of price change isn't a good idea.

Actually for NEW SUBSCRIPTIONS, even at $24.92 per month, a "Native/Vanilla" Annual Subscription is ALOT MORE than a Perpetual License annual cost...$299.04. If you get hit with the Subscription Price increase to $29.99 per month the cost goes to $359.00.

SO...you can buy 3 YEARS of Perpetual Support right now, end up saving $ up front and another $600 to $720 by just staying where you are with a Perpetual License.

In other words, you can get 3 YEARS of Perpetual License Support for the price of a ONE year Annual Subscription AND save a boatload of cash IF you buy those 3 Years of Support BEFORE July 1, 2019.

The cost for EXISTING Perpetual Licensees to "CROSSGRADE" to Subscription is $99 BUT you GIVE UP your Perpetual License. It's the SAME cost as if you just bought a single year of Perpetual License Support!

Whoever thought this up in Sales and Marketing should be ashamed of themselves and those who approved it should be flogged, IMO. :)

rdpar 06-24-2019 07:37 AM

yup staying with the perp.:D

ProtoolsLover 06-25-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquic (Post 2530012)
I'll be standing in PT12 until humanity is extinguished.

I think that maybe because Trump, American companies believe that they can do with people what they want without consequences. The same goes for sinking the development of the 5G in Europe crushing Huawei, than crushing Mexico or Europe with tariffs, than convert ProTools lifetime users in suscriptors with no reason, and with no real update of his software that is worth paying a single dollar more.

As soon as I finish with the album that I am producing, I am going to give a chance to other softwares, because I think I'm getting off the boat.

Congratulations AVID, I have been a ProTools User since 1997 when I was in ProTools III. You got it! I'm out!

Here in America, we call it fixing all the decades of horrible trade deals with other countries......No pain, No Gain.........

I don't agree with Trump on a lot, but as far as his trade decisions, I'm all in with him all the freaking way!!! WAAAAY overdue....

rdpar 06-25-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProtoolsLover (Post 2530795)
Here in America, we call it fixing all the decades of horrible trade deals with other countries......No pain, No Gain.........

I don't agree with Trump on a lot, but as far as his trade decisions, I'm all in with him all the freaking way!!! WAAAAY overdue....

I am totally with you PROTOOLSLOVER:):):)

LightWing 06-26-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

COMPLETELY UNTRUE FOR NATIVE/VANILLA USERS!

If you go subscription BEFORE July 1, 2019 @ $24.92 times 12 months your ANNUAL cost is $299

If you go subscription AFTER July 1, 2019 @ $29.99 times 12 months your ANNUAL cost is $360!

A perpetual license for one year BEFORE July 1, 2019 is $99.

A perpetual license for one year AFTER July 1, 2019 is $199.