Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   -9093 stops are killing me!!!!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=399861)

PatriotsBiker 06-26-2018 05:31 AM

Re: -9093 stops are killing me!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2492517)
Will let you know after I implement Weed's advice:o

My recovery from a Windows Update is nearly complete. I only get the CPU spikes on the initial boot up now. Restarts are fine. Even cold boot ups done within a short period of time are working as if being restarted instead of shut-down with addition of the power supply getting turned off. It's as if over-night gremlins are moving internal object identifiers around.

There is one oddity when inspecting Services for consistencies between bad starts and good starts as defined by CPU spikes in PT. Look at Windows Services and Services from inside Task Manager. On Task manager, there is one service called OneSync and OneSync_XXXXX. The "XXXXX" are different every time. Identifier of some sort. These OneSync services have "Sync Host" and "Sync Host_XXXXX" as a descriptions. In Windows Services via Control Panel and Administrative Tools shows the services as being named "Sync Host_XXXXX" instead of being named OneSync in Task Manager. HOWEVER, at least twice when the system was throwing a lot of CPU spikes at me after a cold start, that service name in the traditional Services window was "OneSync_XXXXX" instead of "Sync Host_XXXXX". Never that way when all is working fine. And has not been that way at least once when I did get spiking. I'm watching this now for any possible patterns and inconsistencies between system starting with and without CPU spikes in PT. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has this oddity when their system is getting to initial CPU spikes when hitting the session menu screen.

I guess I could get sysinternals, assuming it is still available, and compare the system starts. Actually, now that I write this, it seems like the logical thing to do. No guessing. It's right there. And, of course, that makes me wonder - again - if I do need to check hyperthreading and set accordingly. Is it logical that multiple branches of start-up routine going at once are becoming aligned improperly at start-up? (which is one reason why I asked you if you were stable yet...)

Or it could be different shut-down routines from restart to total cold boots including power supply switching.

Twice in the past week, starting up cold has also left me with no audio during playback. Simply restarting PT fixed both times. My Apollo is acting wonky again. All the clicks that happen without anything being changed on my part. I need to do a re-install again.

Anyhow, it seemed like we were having some of the same things. If any of what I am seeing rings a bell or not, please let me know. I'm not trying to jump your thread, but rather trying to colaborate if there is any basis to do so.

drh1 07-01-2018 03:28 PM

A few months ago I had various problems when Windows did a major feature update. Turns out it arbitrarily changed some power management settings, and display settings amongst other things. It took me a while to get it all sorted out, and I ended up redoing the Pro Tools recommended settings. As I have Windows 10 Pro, I have now changed the parameters so that I won't get the next feature update for a year (although I still get the daily virus definition updates).

albee1952 07-02-2018 02:03 PM

So, I got down to some nitty gritty testing today and I am reasonably certain the culprit is Sound Radix Mute-o-matic. I disabled all plugins in a row and it recorded for 14 minutes until I stopped it. Re-enabled the row a dozen tracks at a time and all ran great(recorded for at least 10 minutes with no error) until that plugin was made active. Please post if you also have this plugin in use.

The Weed 07-03-2018 09:37 AM

Here's something else I found:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

albee1952 07-03-2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2493132)
So, I got down to some nitty gritty testing today and I am reasonably certain the culprit is Sound Radix Mute-o-matic. I disabled all plugins in a row and it recorded for 14 minutes until I stopped it. Re-enabled the row a dozen tracks at a time and all ran great(recorded for at least 10 minutes with no error) until that plugin was made active. Please post if you also have this plugin in use.

Well....so much for that idea. Tried killing my 3rd screen....nope. Internet is unplugged.....still too many -9093 stops today (with the cpu meter sitting around 10-11%). No Mute-o-matic in the sessions. Committed the click and thought that was it, but no. Thankful for an understanding client. Not a happy camper.............:mad:

Bob L 07-03-2018 09:45 PM

You said that you were going to try disabling hyper threading. What was its state during your bad day?

I'm a long-time refugee from Windows (:D) and I understand that this may not be absolutely transferrable experience, but I'm one of the believers in disabling HT on my MP.

I do not claim that this is a foolproof fix. It helps. Me, at least.

In any case, I hope you find a solution. Falling over in front of the customers blows.

PatriotsBiker 07-04-2018 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2493239)
Well....so much for that idea. Tried killing my 3rd screen....nope. Internet is unplugged.....still too many -9093 stops today (with the cpu meter sitting around 10-11%). No Mute-o-matic in the sessions. Committed the click and thought that was it, but no. Thankful for an understanding client. Not a happy camper.............:mad:

This is precisely my experience on any "fix" I've stumbled upon. Works for 1-2 days. Sometimes, under the purpose of testing, shutting down completely and then starting fresh will kill the "fix" MOST of the time. No denying that something positive is happening for me after a Windows "restart" following a test fix. Sometimes it's just a matter of running the CCleaner a bunch of times. Sometimes it isn't.

That put me on the trail to find out what settings, apps, services and utilities change as a result of various Windows shut-down, restart and start-up procedures. An additional thought occurred to me that any sort of session identifiers could be misaligned at certain points. I ran into very little success other than for a few glorious days, all's I had to do was start my machine and PT, open a session, watch it spike, turn off PT, do a restart on my PC (not shut-down) and start PT again and all was well.

I may have some of the specifics wrong or mischaracterized, but this is the jist of it from what I understand. Windows does do some different things on start-up and shut-downs depending on power management states and other things. Mine are all per optimization guide, fwiw. A Windows session's settings and states are stored during shut-down under certain scenarios. When startup happens these settings are used and Windows quickly comes to life. Alas, I ran into a dead end. This is, however, the kind of odd thing that causes weird, random unexplainable happenings in windows. Some sessionID or pointer becomes wrong and all of a sudden a resource that the application thinks is there is no longer there now causes brief hangups (or spikes). Maybe some other utility is using the same resource(DLL, other) that PT wants forcing PT to wait in line for it's turn due to use this utility. Perhaps this is similar, on a high level, to why we get more spikes when wireless is on, for example.

Perhaps the Timeline thing that The Weed posted yesterday has some relevance? I've not had a chance to look at it yet. It makes sense, though. If some utility is using information from a previous day and PT thinks it's something different, this could be an issue.

Just some thoughts. In the end, though, why would it also affect Mac users if it was a Windows issue?

albee1952 07-04-2018 03:10 PM

The only thing I know for sure is that I am confused and pissed. Hyperthreading is disabled and that as good as it has gotten, which is NOT good. To me, a single system error in front of a client is unacceptable and once in every single song/session is inexcusable. I would gladly pay somebody $500 to come and fix this issue for real. Meanwhile, I guess I keep trying anything/everything......................:mad::mad::mad::ma d::mad:

BTW, I have 3 system drives and all act similar, but the other 2 are worse. Guess its time to try recovering from an older drive image...

PatriotsBiker 07-05-2018 08:27 AM

I wonder....so, we remove plugs from the active folder. They can be all by brand and could be individual. Some of these companies are more deeply rooted into our systems. NI, IKM, Softube, PIA, UAD, Toontrack and most certainly Waves all now have installer apps. Some use Pace for security and management, and some have their own thing.

Point is, is that some of these companies have their security apps up and running in the background, even if through a 3rd party like Pace or Gobbler. Perhaps just having a specific plug out of the active plugins folder is not enough anymore? Especially, perhaps, in the case of Waves where some have moved just a few of them out that have bad reputations. (eg - the Abbey Road plate reverb plug)

Food for thought.

albee1952 07-05-2018 12:14 PM

FWIW, after running SpyBot, AVG and Malewarebytes(and all coming back clean). I uninstalled them(don't need that stuff running in the background) and found zero improvement. So, I restored the system from a March 2018 drive image, and so far(knocking on every piece of wood I can find) have not had a single 9093 today.....Drive Imaging.....do it...love it....embrace it:D:o