Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Pro tools needs some Improvements (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=132147)

Xbuk 03-18-2005 06:10 AM

Pro tools needs some Improvements

Why is the crossfading in pro tools so tedious? I mean Would it not be better if the regions where virtual and i could adjust the crossfades size and placement with a handle bar in real time on the edit screen with out all the guessing and undoing. I mean sure u can get it good but it takes along time to get it perfect.

Also What about some volume handle bars on the region in the edit screen? Going to the audio suite gain and then guessing what volume you want is not very effeciant. and since LE is in 32 bit float please let me gain the audio infinately.

How about a graphical lock feature on the region that can be simply clicked to lock and unlcok the region in place.

Give me these features and few more and i will go from a disgrunteld to a happy PT user.

Regards

Xbuk

pk_hat 03-18-2005 06:19 AM

Re: Pro tools needs some Improvements

I think you need to go through the manual a little deeper, or skim through a third-party ProTools book.
Some of the things you mention leave me clueless as to what exactly you're trying to do.

asa 03-18-2005 06:38 AM

Crossfading is not tedious. Highlight the area of your two regions that you would like to be crossfaded, then go to the edit menu and choose Create Fade, or use ctrl+f on PC, cmd+f on mac. Will pop up the fades window, allow you to make the settings you want, then fade. You can then use the trimmer tool to adjust the boundaries or edges of just the fade, in real-time, in the edit window.

To view a graphical representation of volume for each track or playlist, simply click where it says waveform and choose volume from the list of possible views. You will now see a line within track in the edit window. You can add handles wherever you like and control the volume quite precisely.

Not sure if this gets you going in the right direction, but it sounds to me like what you want is there, you just may not be looking in the right places.

Let us know if you need more help.

Regards,

Chris Cavell 03-18-2005 07:03 AM

try the smart tool. it combines all three primary editing functions into a tool whose function depends on it's location in and around a track. It function near region boundaries makes creating fades in the manner you stated easy.

spkguitar 03-18-2005 07:04 AM

Locking a region is as easy as selecting it and pressing Ctrl+L

madrock 03-18-2005 09:09 AM

read the manual. use the smart tool. handle bars are for bicycles, not hard drive based multi track recorders. read the manual some more. try the find peak and preview buttons. more reading required. apple+L or ctrl+L. keep reading.

infinite gain increase is not possible even with a 100billion float bitrate.

happy now?

madrock 03-18-2005 09:15 AM

asa, you can change views by holding ctrl+alt and clicking the control. for example, ctrl+alt, click on fader to display fader automation. ctrl+alt, click on track name to return to waveform view. same goes for pan, sends, most automated plug-in features, etc.

another good one: ctrl+start+alt, click on plug-in function to enable automation for the function. this does not work with all third party plug-ins but most of them it does.

Gunnar Hellquist 03-19-2005 10:40 AM

Xbuk go to www.samplitude.com and download the demo. What you ask for is there in that program, and more. Now think hard what makes you stay with PT.

Gunnar.

R1 03-19-2005 11:10 AM

I would find it most usefull if I could see more than one automation per track at the same time. That is: I 'd really like to see where a volume automation starts and stops while also seeing and editing a pan automation in the same track. Simultaniously. Or any other automation views... I know I can set up markers, but it would be so smooth to just be able to see what's going on. Perhaps different colors for different automation functions.
digi, are you listening?

Xbuk 03-19-2005 03:54 PM

Crossfading is not tedious. Highlight the area of your two regions that you would like to be crossfaded, then go to the edit menu and choose Create Fade, or use ctrl+f on PC, cmd+f on mac. Will pop up the fades window, allow you to make the settings you want, then fade. You can then use the trimmer tool to adjust the boundaries or edges of just the fade, in real-time, in the edit window.

-----------Xbuk replys
Thank you for your reply. The fading system is better than I orginaly thought. I still see away it could be improved. When i try to grab the fade and move it it says "can not move fade with out its contributing regions". This is annoying that i must go to each end of the fade and slide them over. This causes constant re-adjusting of the fade size. It would be nice to be able to set the fade size then slide it up and down the region along with the current ablity to adjust the size. Next the most annoying of all is the little clicks I get after every punch. I would like to see a selection in the operations menu to automaticly create fades after a punch or moving something on the grid. the combination of both things i have mentioned would make the program alot more stream lined.
----------

To view a graphical representation of volume for each track or playlist, simply click where it says waveform and choose volume from the list of possible views. You will now see a line within track in the edit window. You can add handles wherever you like and control the volume quite precisely.

--------Xbuk replys
Yes. This is nice. But I would like the wave graphic to refresh to the the new DB volume selection. And I would also like to be able to adjust the audio Higher than 6 db. Maybe it is posible but I have not figure it out yet.
-------

Not sure if this gets you going in the right direction, but it sounds to me like what you want is there, you just may not be looking in the right places.

Let us know if you need more help.

Regards,

------- Xbuk replys
You seem very knowledegeable And You have shown me things I wasnt aware of thank you.

Regards

Xbuk