Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Source-connect + Nehalem and PT 9 user feedbacks (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=296092)

The golfer 03-04-2011 11:51 AM

Source-connect + Nehalem and PT 9 user feedbacks

Hello to all,

Just wandering if anybody is using The Mac Pro Nehalem with Source-connect and PT 9. If so, Is anybody successful with Source-connect stand alone version 3.5.1? Has the built-in digital input nehalem clock problem been solved in snow leopard?

Is anybody using the plugin version 3.2 ? if not, what version are you using with your nehalem?

Thank you and regards,

The golfer 03-04-2011 12:01 PM

Re: Source-connect + Nehalem and PT 9 user feedbacks

Oh, one last detail...I am looking for feedbacks from Protools HD users.

kd_special 03-04-2011 01:41 PM

We have used 3.2 plug in in pro tools but never used optical cable. standalone
It worked fine for us.

with Mac Pros quad cores and 8 corse . Nathleam I believe and Westmeres

We do use optical input into 192 for AudioFiner and for listening to mac output. And we have to sync to optical if we dont want t get snaps. this requires us to have one optical cable for in and out.

I noticed on G5 models this was never a problem I could sync with the Sync I/O and never get digital snaps using optical.

kd

Jimmix 03-07-2011 07:29 PM

i think it is fixed in snow lep.
u need to use an aggregated device in core audio and resample the output.

The golfer 03-08-2011 05:39 AM

Quote:

u need to use an aggregated device in core audio and resample the output.
Jimmy, you can't use an aggregated device with Pro-tools HD unless you switch your playback engine from HTDM to "Pro-tools aggregate I/O" and loose your 192 interface. This is not an option for us.

It looks like the plugin version is still the best way to go with nehalems and pt HD.

Thank you!

MIKEROPHONICS 03-09-2011 01:45 AM

The stand alone version with opticals and a behringer ultramatch pro to re-clock the output of the mac to your session sample rate and clock (which is video for me from my Nanosyncs, and also obviously also gets sent to the Behringer).

The mac opticals go to my 192 opticals (with the beringer after the mac output). Leopard, Snow Leopard, Nehelem or whatever - this system works.

Spend the $ on the beringer, go optical and get recording and earning money.

cheers

The golfer 03-09-2011 09:33 AM

Mikerophonics,

This seems like a great solution to get the 3.5 standalone working. I will look into it.

Thank you!

Jimmix 03-09-2011 09:54 AM

be careful of using a ultramatch or other sample rate conversion approaches as they might cause problems with Source-Conenct Q manager.

MIKEROPHONICS 03-09-2011 11:48 AM

I can confirm that I have not noticed any Q manager issues

Cheers

The golfer 03-09-2011 12:53 PM

Hello guys,

Robert at source-elements fixed my problem. Jimmix I was wrong, you can
use an aggregated device with pro-tools HD. Pro-tools is using the "HTDM" playback engine and keep the 192 interface working while "source-connect 3.5 stand alone" uses the aggregated device (digital output in resample).

We did some tests with Q manager and can I confirm that the nehalem and "snow leopard" works well with Source-connect 3.5.

Thank you all for your inputs and solutions!