Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Getting Started (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Pro Tools crashes on quit, doesn't work with Tascam Interface (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=336243)

epignosis567 03-23-2013 06:33 PM

Pro Tools crashes on quit, doesn't work with Tascam Interface

To be quick about it, I am a lifelong cubase user. I decided to make the switch to Pro Tools. I purchased pro tools and was told it would work with my tascam interface. it did not. And this crappy program just crashed every time I tried to open and close the demo session.

So then I am told, no whoever said it would work with your tascam interface (that literally EVERYTHING else works with perfectly) but whoever told you that was wrong. You need to purchase an Mbox, it will work perfectly then. So I shelled out hundreds of dollars for another over priced piece of trash from this company. Bring it home and hook it up. Yes, now I am able to get audio in and out of pro tools. Woo hoo. That is the most basic function of it. And it still freezes and crashes EVERY TIME I CLOSE THE PROGRAM.

BUT that's not even what I'm mad. What I'm mad about is I purchased pro tools back in November. I am a student and I have not had a minute to sit down with this horrible mess and figure out what the problem is. So now I am on break and I am attempting to figure why the program crashes EVERY TIME I CLOSE IT. I figured surely after spending $1000 for software and a totally basic interface that avid would provide SOME sort of support and be able to help me figure this out. NOPE! They want me to PAY MORE MONEY to ask them why their crappy program crashes every time i use it. Unbelievable.

I have never hated a company so much in all my life. If anyone has any idea why this would be happening please let me know. My next step is to go into their offices in person. I WILL NOT spend $1000 on something that doesn't work and has no warranty or support. And if I am unable to get answers out of them they will not stop hearing from me until they respond. If any admins see this please contact me. No, I do not have a support code. And I'm not paying to talk to someone about something that I spent $1000 on and it crashes.

I am so unbelievably angry right now.

bashville 03-23-2013 06:46 PM

Re: new user, i seriously HATE this company

Let me be the first to say welcome to the forum, and make a plea, my friend, for some details(!). I don't even run Windows--I'm just predicting the first 5-10 responses.....

The machine, the OS, the version of PT. All that stuff.

Emcha_audio 03-23-2013 06:50 PM

Please read this thread Help us Help you - READ THIS Before Posting! (<-click the link) Do everything that is listed in there for the optimization, post a sandra report and all the trouble shooting steps you took. Without these information there's a very slim chance that we'll be able to help you. Thanks :)

epignosis567 03-23-2013 06:51 PM

Thank you for the welcome. I put all of that info in my signature, so I assumed it would show up here. It is:
Dell 15Z
8gb ram
1tb hd
2.9 gz
pro tools 10 fully updated
mbox 3 brand new today

jryser 03-23-2013 06:56 PM

Emcha is great. Take a deeeeep breath, chill a bit (know that u r not alone in frustration but hang in there). Get that Sandra report so Emcha and others can see all details that the smart guys understand. I have decided that PT is the Ferrari of DAWs. Finicky as all get out but when properly tuned there is no other like it. Hang in there and we will get you on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

epignosis567 03-23-2013 06:56 PM

Ok I will do all of these things asked prior to posting again. Thank you for the help, I am just absolutely livid to find out that I spent $1000 on software/hardware and the company provides ZERO support and all the product has done since day 1 is crash.

Emcha_audio 03-23-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epignosis567 (Post 2019630)
Thank you for the welcome. I put all of that info in my signature, so I assumed it would show up here. It is:
Dell 15Z
8gb ram
1tb hd
2.9 gz
pro tools 10 fully updated
mbox 3 brand new today

You have to selection Show signature in the user CP -> edit options: thread display options, esle it wont show ;)

Avid does offer support, you should have received an ASC code (after registering your product on the Avid website) with your purchase that would have given you a free call to tech support. Due to the tascam interface you choose though, it would have been limited to your computer and software. Avid can't give tech support on third parties interfaces or controllers and it's pretty normal. Can you also include which interface you bought? might help in the process.

Emcha_audio 03-23-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jryser (Post 2019632)
Emcha is great. Take a deeeeep breath, chill a bit (know that u r not alone in frustration but hang in there). Get that Sandra report so Emcha and others can see all details that the smart guys understand. I have decided that PT is the Ferrari of DAWs. Finicky as all get out but when properly tuned there is no other like it. Hang in there and we will get you on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to get on our good graces? :eek:;):D

zedhed 03-23-2013 07:03 PM

You need to provide a Sandra Report, this is a more in depth snapshot of the system and computer components you're trying to run Pro Tools on.

Windows users need to provide a Sandra report. Since you haven't even provided any details whether you're running Mac or PC I've posted this assuming it's a windows system.

- Please - Use SiSoftware's Sandra Lite application to generate a full system profile:

www.sisoftware.co.uk

Under SiSoftware Sandra, click on "Download & Buy" to download the free Sandra Lite version or purchase other versions. After installing Sandra, click on the 'Hardware' tab and run the 'Computer Overview', then copy and paste into your post here on the DUC.

You can find videos on how to create a Sandra report here (generously provided by DUC member Benoni) : http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=303059

Any version above PT9 should run with the Tascam (providing your computer is compatible). Sounds to me like whoever you've gotten information about running Pro Tools from either doesn't know what they're talking about or hasn't given you full details.

OK, you've had you rant, now if you want help, provide the details requested.
First thing to find out in the meantime is, are you recording to a separate drive than your OS drive?

epignosis567 03-23-2013 07:36 PM

i am in the process of optimizing but i cannot complete this step:

To delete the Pro Tools Databases folder in Windows 7:
Go to your Start menu and click on Computer.
Double-click on the C: drive.
Double-click on Program Files.
Go to the Digidesign folder.
Go to the Pro Tools folder.
Right-click on the Databases folder and delete it.
NOTE: If you are using Pro Tools HD, DV Toolkit 2 or Complete Production Toolkit, you will want to backup your Catalogs folder before deleting the Databases folder.

i do not have a folder named digidesign there. i have looked at the other folders and nothing like this is in any of them.