Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   my old mac died do i need my old version of pro tools le installed to upgrade to 8? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=264207)

darkaardvark 01-14-2010 10:01 AM

my old mac died do i need my old version of pro tools le installed to upgrade to 8?

recently my mac g5 decided to breakdown, since repairing the thing would cost more than its worth i decided to invest in a new macbook pro. i desperately need the mbox pro 2 for my work but my current Pro Tools LE is the 7.1.2 version which on works on os x tiger.

so my question is do i need my current version of pro tools installed in order to upgrade to Pro Tools LE 8? i'm asking this because i can only find upgrades to LE 8 on sale and i dont know if the m-powered version of protools would be compatible with my m-box pro 2.

if anyone out there has any solution to my predicament i'd really appreciate the help asap as i'm working towards a deadline.

DigiTechSupt 01-14-2010 11:28 AM

Re: my old mac died do i need my old version of pro tools le installed to upgrade to

Quote:

so my question is do i need my current version of pro tools installed in order to upgrade to Pro Tools LE 8
No - Pro Tools 8 is a full installer.

nst7 01-14-2010 11:31 AM

Re: my old mac died do i need my old version of pro tools le installed to upgrade to

The protools 8 upgrade is not an upgrade, it's a full install (it's a little misleading). You don't need your old version installed, and in fact, it's recommended that you not have the old version on the computer. Since you're getting a new computer, just start fresh with PT8. If you have any third party plugins, of course you'll need to copy them over or reinstall them.

By the way, did you already get your macbook pro? If not, try to hold off a couple more weeks. The word on the street is that Apple will be releasing new macbook pros with I5 chips.

darkaardvark 01-14-2010 11:55 AM

thanks folks, i thought that might be the case but just wanted to make sure before i put a payment down.

-nst7, i already bought the macbook pro. i appreciate the advice but like i said in my first post i'm working towards a strict deadline so i cant afford to go the few weeks without being able to work on my music:p

thanks again

barry1 01-14-2010 12:33 PM

what r I5 chips and how will they affect the usuage of the puter?

Obsidian Dragon 01-14-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barry1 (Post 1533713)
what r I5 chips and how will they affect the usuage of the puter?

My understanding is the I5 is essentially the new name for an Intel Core2Quad. It is a great solution for Protools and runs better than the Core2Duo processors. It is not quite the Nehalem I7 which is a server class processor but it is a very good workstation class processor.