Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Need advice on using Eleven Rack with tube power amp plus a 4-12 cab (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=308581)

mick828 10-03-2011 09:18 PM

Need advice on using Eleven Rack with tube power amp plus a 4-12 cab

I would like to talk to anyone who is running their Eleven Rack with a power amp and 4-12 cabinet. I am curious where people are running the volume on the power amp and what output levels they are using on there rigs. I play in a band that is doing stuff like Tool, God Smack, Alice In Chains. Just to give you an idea of what kinds sounds I am going for. Thanks.

adamqlw 10-03-2011 09:41 PM

Re: Need advice on using Eleven Rack with tube power amp plus a 4-12 cab

I have no experience with this myself, but based on prior modeller + poweramp and theory in general:

1) Defintely have cab sims off

2) There is no seperate poweramp block on the 11R, and you can't bypass the modelled poweramp. You might want to be really careful when setting the master volume knob on the amps as a consequence, so the modelled poweramp plays a smaller part in the tone that's coming out.

3) In general I understand it is best to have as strong an output going into the poweramp as possible (while avoiding clipping at all stages), as this will result in a better signal-to-noise ratio. Your poweramp is going to boost your line level signal to drive the speakers, so any noise inherent in the signal is going to be amplified as well.

my 2 cents after the caveat that I haven't done this with the 11R specifically, and now in awhile in general. Although technically, everytime I go into my K10, my 11R is going into a poweramp :)

mick828 10-03-2011 10:11 PM

Thanks for the input. I do have the cab sims off. I was getting alot of feedback when I played live with it for the first time and I was not happy with the sounds I was getting at all. Thought had some decent tones programed, but they did not cut through with the band. I have been playing a Line 6 Vetta for the last 6 years. And I really like it over all. btter than any of the other Line stuff I have heard, but I have not played with them all so. But man I missing my Vetta right now. Mother board died in it, and I was impressed with what I heard from the Eleven Rack and hope it was going to be my new amp. Right now I am very frustarted. The tone seems to be dull. Sorry to ramble and I appreciate your response.

mick828 10-03-2011 10:15 PM

Just an added note. I am playing it through a Peavey Classice Series 60/60 tube power amp and a 4-12 with celestians. At this moment I can not afford to buy any new gear, so I need to make this work. I have shows every other weekend through January, so I appreciate any input from anyone. Thanks again.

Darryl Ramm 10-03-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick828 (Post 1841042)
Thanks for the input. I do have the cab sims off. I was getting alot of feedback when I played live with it for the first time and I was not happy with the sounds I was getting at all. Thought had some decent tones programed, but they did not cut through with the band. I have been playing a Line 6 Vetta for the last 6 years. And I really like it over all. btter than any of the other Line stuff I have heard, but I have not played with them all so. But man I missing my Vetta right now. Mother board died in it, and I was impressed with what I heard from the Eleven Rack and hope it was going to be my new amp. Right now I am very frustarted. The tone seems to be dull. Sorry to ramble and I appreciate your response.

What exact amp and cab are you going into? From what output on the Eleven Rack?

Sometimes folks mean guitar amp when they say power amp so do you really mean a poweramp with line-level inputs or do you mean a regular guitar amp? If a guitar amp are you going into an instrument input or the FX loop return? I would start there if possible. Obviously driven by the amp1 or amp2 output from the Eleven Rack.

If its a real power amp with line level input then you might be better off starting with the XLR main outs (or one of them) to the amp, going via a mixer if you also need to feed FOH.

Play around with stuff.

Darryl

mick828 10-03-2011 10:40 PM

It is a true power amp. And the cab has 4 of the 90 watt celestians made for line 6 vetta cabs. That is something I have considered trying. Have had the chance yet. PLayed Friday night, Ran sound for 4 bands on Saturday. Sunday and Monday couldn't get to it. I am hoping to mess around some more tomorrow(today)

singtall 10-04-2011 06:12 AM

if you have the expansion pack for the eleven rack, i would suggest adding a PEQ last in your chain and eq'ing the final tone. for my old celestion loaded cabinet i had to add some highs.

mick828 10-05-2011 09:13 AM

I will try that. Thanks. I was also getting alot of feedback, has anyone messed with true Z input settings to help with this?

adamqlw 10-05-2011 05:18 PM

Maybe these are silly questions, but

What sort of tone are you using?

What sort of guitar do you use?

What volume are you playing at?