Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Another Mastering Question ! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=7099)

Marc Cooreman 12-13-2000 05:27 AM

Another Mastering Question !

Anyone who has TC Master/X or Waves GoldBundle or comparable software and still uses his or her hardware Finaliser (or dBX or Drawmer or Focusrite or whatever) ?

And why and when do you use the hardware ?

Just wonderin'...

Marc

Marc Cooreman 12-13-2000 11:54 PM

Re: Another Mastering Question !

What i want to know is if you f.i. process in PT, and then still put the whole thing through your hardware ?
And for what particular reason ?

AlexK 12-18-2000 08:34 AM

I don´t

Dean Bohana 12-18-2000 02:18 PM

Use the Waves' C4 multi band comp. together with the stereo imager & L1 limiter and rival the sound quality of any hardware out there. Try T-Racks as an anolog emulating alternative and achieve incredible results. DB

Ray Lyon 12-18-2000 09:57 PM

Ditto Dean... that's all you need... don't bother with hardware unless you really want to use it... some people like that approach but with these plugs it just isn't necessary... IMHO

uno1234 12-18-2000 11:00 PM

I would never touch a software compressor for a mix, and there are alot of people who would agree... although they'll probably work okay, especially if you know how to use it. You can get the best analog hardware compressor out there, and then turn your mixes into mud.

uno1234 12-19-2000 12:37 AM

Hardware sounds better-- software compression still isn't there for something like mix compression. Get a pair of avalon 737s, link 'em together, and go crazy.

Marc Cooreman 12-19-2000 12:49 AM

Uno1234,
Can you do the same with a pair of Distressors ?

Marc Cooreman 12-19-2000 01:44 AM

I guess that depends (also) on personal taste/what kind of music you like .
I don't think any of my favourite records of the last years was made without any vintage hardware processors .
Maybe you can acchieve that in the (near) future, no i'm almost sure of that, but at this moment...
And Uno, can you compare the avalons & the distressors
And what music do you favor, anyway ?

uno1234 12-19-2000 06:52 AM

I favor not hip hop.

I've actually never used a distressor, although I've heard so much good things

the avalons have a beautiful sound to them-- the compressor is transparent but warm, and the EQ is very smooth as well. You really should give them a try-- after using them for 6 mos, I got the focusrite red 3, and while it is very nice (and very different sounding), doesn't suite my taste as much as the avalons.