Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Intro Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Using my Yamaha RX-8 drum machine as a MIDI controller (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411934)

BLG 09-18-2020 10:23 AM

Using my Yamaha RX-8 drum machine as a MIDI controller

Is there any way to use my old Yamaha RX-8 drum machine as a midi controller (to control Xpand2 to generate drum tracks)? I think I prefer the drum sounds in Xpand2 to those in my drum machine and I'd rather not buy an external controller. And using the built-in MIDI controller seems like a real pain.

I'm brand-new to Pro Tools, so I'll need detailed instructions.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. cross-posting this in two forums since I'm new here and don't know the best place to ask this.

albee1952 09-18-2020 11:39 AM

Re: Using my Yamaha RX-8 drum machine as a MIDI controller

Cross-posting is against the rules, so maybe try to delete the other. It should be possible to use the RX-8 as long as things are set up correctly. Assuming you have a midi input on your interface, open PT and go to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. Create a new "instrument" and name it whatever makes sense. The model and brand are not required. What IS required is the input port so PT knows where to "look for"incoming midi data. That setting will likely refer to the midi input of your interface. Unless you plan on sending midi back to the RX-8, you won't need a midi output port assignment. Traditionally, midi channel 10 is used for drums and percussion, so set the midi send to channel 10(de-select the other channels).

By default, any midi or instrument tracks will receive on all midi channels, so create a stereo instrument track, insert Xpand 2 in the top insert slot and put the track in record-ready. Play the pads on the RX-8 and hopefully you will trigger some sounds. The tricky part will be assigning midi note values so that each pad triggers the sound you want.

BLG 09-18-2020 11:53 AM

Thanks! I had it partially working for a short time before I changed something and it stopped. I'll definitely try this out. Any idea how you assign midi note values so that each pad triggers the sound you want?

Top Jimmy 09-18-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLG (Post 2578190)
Any idea how you assign midi note values so that each pad triggers the sound you want?

If the RX8 is like most pad controllers, you should be able to choose which MIDI note is assigned to each pad in the settings.

BLG 09-18-2020 02:59 PM

Where would I change this setting? On the RX-8 or within Pro Tools?

albee1952 09-18-2020 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLG (Post 2578209)
Where would I change this setting? On the RX-8 or within Pro Tools?

In the RX-8. Consult the manual to see how to change midi notes

BLG 09-21-2020 10:48 AM

I got it working. On the RX-8 I just had to go into MIDI (press the MIDI button twice), go to Note Assign, click on the button I want to use and then use +/- button to change the note it sends. (I think 038 is middle C).