Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   cascading outputs on master faders not working Protools 2020.12 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414142)

bsteeve 02-18-2021 12:50 AM

cascading outputs on master faders not working Protools 2020.12

Hi Everyone.

Shift + Option + Command doesn/t work to cascade outputs on master faders. Mater faders are all at the same width... I swear this use to work back in the day. Any solutions? This is making it a pain to setup my masterfaders output when configuring dolby atmos sessions.

crizdee 02-18-2021 01:17 AM

Re: cascading outputs on master faders not working Protools 2020.12

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsteeve (Post 2593794)
Hi Everyone.

Shift + Option + Command doesn/t work to cascade outputs on master faders. Mater faders are all at the same width... I swear this use to work back in the day. Any solutions? This is making it a pain to setup my masterfaders output when configuring dolby atmos sessions.

Hi,

No never been available on a master fader. Only on tracks and aux's.

A master fader is specific to one source

Chris

Rich Breen 02-18-2021 07:51 AM

A Master Fader is not an output, it's a hook into a summing node.

bsteeve 02-18-2021 11:53 AM

Hey guys.

Let me clarify why I'm asking this question here. When mixing in Dolby Atmos you often have to create 100s of master faders for all your beds and objects to essentially do 2 things, mirror your bus processing onto the object path (especially useful when toggle tracks between beds and objects) and secondly to easily control the level going to the renderer. The big advantage of using master fader is that it doesn't count toward your voice count...

Recently avid increased the number of master faders that could be created for this very reason I believe hence why I'm asking if cascading the "output" selector on master faders possible because doing that manually is a real pain and it seems strange that they would have omitted this.

LDS 02-18-2021 12:34 PM

oh golly. This is a pretty simple request that really should work. Create 30 mono outputs in a new I/O list, then create 30 mono channels and 30 mono master faders in the session.

Shift + option + command will allow you to assign outputs 1-30 across the channel faders very quickly. But you will need to manually assign outputs 1-30 across the master faders one by one.

Needing to go through 30, 40, 118 mono master faders for an Atmos mix to assign their outputs one by one is a major dent in Pro Tool's otherwise quite speedy workflow. It surely is a bug?

Rich Breen 02-19-2021 09:51 AM

OH, sorry - I misunderstood the question. Yeah, hadn't noticed this but cascading multiple master outputs in one go doesn't work and don't see why it shouldn't. In fact, doesn't seem like master faders obey *any* of the usual multi-selection tools work with masters (shift-opt de-assign for example).

Don't remember if this ever worked - would be curious to see if it works on PT12 for example - but this might be a bug.

LDS 02-20-2021 03:03 AM

I’m not sure it ever worked either. It wasn’t until I started using DAPS that the need for so many master faders came up. In any case, Avid have said it is a bug - PT-221468 "Master Fader Multi-Assign (cascade) not enabled"

reichman 02-20-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDS (Post 2593995)
I’m not sure it ever worked either. It wasn’t until I started using DAPS that the need for so many master faders came up. In any case, Avid have said it is a bug - PT-221468 "Master Fader Multi-Assign (cascade) not enabled"

Thanks! Glad to know it's logged. I just assigned 34 mono master faders and my wrist hurts.

Nick Camaron 02-20-2021 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reichman (Post 2594045)
Thanks! Glad to know it's logged. I just assigned 34 mono master faders and my wrist hurts.

Indeed. I was thinking what a slapdash coding. From experience I‘m afraid this could easily remain unfixed forever . Lol

originalscottyg 07-25-2023 09:03 AM

I thought I remembered reading in a What's New doc at some point that this had been fixed. But, it's not currently working for me in 2023.6 Ultimate. I am working up a new Atmos template for a specific job and assigning object masters is KILLING me.