Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   protools and windows vista. is it stable? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300730)

1waymuzik 05-10-2011 11:07 AM

protools and windows vista. is it stable?

When I got my mbox2 windows7 wasn't out and it wasnt stable on vista so I got a laptop with windows xp. Now that I'm ready to start beefing up my setups, I want to make sute that windows7 was stable or I was going to go grab an g5 imac. I've always heard macs were better but for the price, I can buy a beast of a PC. Please advise.

Dism 05-10-2011 12:06 PM

So far you've asked what seems to be about 5 different questions not related to Vista...

Either way, ignore Vista and go straight to 7. Far more reliable and there are plenty of people here using it sucessfully.

If you're going to buy a Mac, don't buy a "G5" anything as it is archaic and not compatible with any version of Pro Tools after 8.0.1. You need an Intel Mac if you want anything modern in terms of software.

1waymuzik 05-10-2011 02:34 PM

Re: protools and windows vista. is it stable?

I meant to say windows 7 instead of vista. Is there a considerable difference from runningba pc versus a mac? Especially in terms of benefits?

Dism 05-10-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1waymuzik (Post 1792458)
I meant to say windows 7 instead of vista. Is there a considerable difference from runningba pc versus a mac? Especially in terms of benefits?

There are a few differences, but it really just comes down to personal preference.

OSX allows for Aggregate I/O. This allows you to combine multiple interfaces into a single "Aggregate" interface for the allotted 32 I/O available. (Pro Tools 9 only) This cannot be done with any of the 002/003 family, but can work with MBoxes and most 3rd party interfaces.

OSX's CoreAudio drivers also tend to be less tedious than Windows' ASIO drivers and are certainly more reliable, at least in terms of pure functionality. If it has CoreAudio drivers, it will work on a Mac. Period.

Otherwise, there really aren't any advantages to using Pro Tools on OSX vs. Windows. Macs are really just the only "PC" (yes, a Mac is a PC), that is prebuilt to run audio software properly. I wouldn't rely on any other box PC (like Dell or HP) to run Pro Tools or any other DAW properly without some serious tweaking involved. Your best bet with a Windows machine is to build it yourself, which can save you a lot of money over any pre-built machine, Mac or otherwise.

markolone 05-13-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1waymuzik (Post 1792356)
When I got my mbox2 windows7 wasn't out and it wasnt stable on vista so I got a laptop with windows xp. Now that I'm ready to start beefing up my setups, I want to make sute that windows7 was stable or I was going to go grab an g5 imac. I've always heard macs were better but for the price, I can buy a beast of a PC. Please advise.

for me work great with interfave maudio 410 no problem in vista sp1
with Windows seven 64 NEVER WORK....only problem and is impossible
to record with low latency.
i am surprise when avid write protools work in windows seven 64...for me is not the try.
in windows vista with NO SETUP work at first time, in win 7-64b..NEVER WORK.