Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Keyboard Shortcut to tab cursor to next grid line? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=321872)

stpete111 04-28-2012 06:05 PM

Keyboard Shortcut to tab cursor to next grid line?

Hi All,

How do I simply advance my cursor gridline-by-gridline in a particular track in the Edit window? I can only see how to either tab to transients or tab to beginning or end of a clip/region. Seems like being able to tab to gridline within a track would be simple, but the Shortcuts guide doesn't like any ability to do it. Anyone know how?

stpete111 04-28-2012 06:41 PM

Re: Keyboard Shortcut to tab cursor to next grid line?

Just figured out that holding Command while pressing the Fast Forward button on the Transport Window tabs by however many measures at a time that you set it for in Preferences. That's one step closer for me, but I was looking for a keyboard shortcut that does not require any mouse use at all...

Stig Eliassen 04-28-2012 07:07 PM

1 and 2 (numpad) will move the cursor 1 bar back and forth. Multiple hits will move it multiple bars.

stpete111 04-28-2012 07:21 PM

Hello Stig,

Thanks for the reply. I'm on a laptop so I lack the number pad. However, due to this shortcut, and many more that I can't perform b/c I lack the numpad, I am going to go ahead and get a USB keyboard with a numpad. It'll be worth the purchase for sure.

Thanks.

Vovique 04-29-2012 12:52 AM

Another workaround: you can nudge selections, so as long as you select something, you can nudge it to the grid. For pasting audio, for example, selection start equals cursor, so this will work in most cases.

stpete111 04-29-2012 11:30 AM

Vovique, doesn't nudge actually move regions though? I want to navigate the grid w/o actually moving anything...

The Weed 05-01-2012 09:57 AM

If you have not highlighted an area or region, nudge will move the cursor by the set value.

Cheers,

Dizzi45Z 05-01-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stpete111 (Post 1926318)
Hello Stig,

Thanks for the reply. I'm on a laptop so I lack the number pad. However, due to this shortcut, and many more that I can't perform b/c I lack the numpad, I am going to go ahead and get a USB keyboard with a numpad. It'll be worth the purchase for sure.

Thanks.

Does anybody know if the use of a USB keypad will link together with the other controls on the Laptop? For example, could you press "Command - 1 (on the number pad)" and get the correct results? I tried this with a Blue Tooth Keyboard and the OS (snow leopard) sees the two keyboards as completely separate keyboards, so key combinations like that won't work.

Audioartist 05-01-2012 02:00 PM

Shortcut combinations does not work with my targus usb keypad.

stpete111 05-01-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Weed (Post 1927045)
If you have not highlighted an area or region, nudge will move the cursor by the set value.

Cheers,

Thanks Weed, I think this is going to be the best answer for me.