Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Low res audio being recorded. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404285)

ShadeTek 04-30-2019 02:42 AM

Low res audio being recorded.

My system is HP Z440, W10, PT 2018.12, S6, HDX, HD I/O, X-Mon, Sync. New build of this system on W10 just 2 weeks old. Went to do a VO record session and found that live monitoring of the mic was fine, but the recorded .wav playback was very low bit-rate. Rebooting sorts the problem until Soundminer or RX7 are opened and then the issue returns until rebooted. (The PC system audio is routed out via the Blackmagic 4k Extreme balanced XLR outputs back into the PT I/O to get a higher quality of audio). Trashing the prefs and using the onboard Realtek soundcard as the system default output does nothing btw. Any suggestions welcome.

musicman691 04-30-2019 04:22 AM

Re: Low res audio being recorded.

What bit rate and depth did you set for the session in question?
Is your computer using the interface you use for PT for it's own audio? If so that's not cool and is probably grabbing the interface and won't let it go.

ShadeTek 04-30-2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2523495)
What bit rate and depth did you set for the session in question?
Is your computer using the interface you use for PT for it's own audio? If so that's not cool and is probably grabbing the interface and won't let it go.

The digitized audio files says it is 48Khz, 24Bit.

The computer is not using the same audio for PT. The computer default audio card is the Blackmagic 4K Extreme video card which has a balanced I/O which is then fed into into the PT I/O box via XLRs. Exactly the same set up when it was Windows 7 X64. But no likey in W10.

musicman691 04-30-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadeTek (Post 2523514)
The digitized audio files says it is 48Khz, 24Bit.

The computer is not using the same audio for PT. The computer default audio card is the Blackmagic 4K Extreme video card which has a balanced I/O which is then fed into into the PT I/O box via XLRs. Exactly the same set up when it was Windows 7 X64. But no likey in W10.

What did you have the session set to? Was it something other than what you say the file metadata says? I'm assuming you're recording through the Avid interface.

ShadeTek 05-01-2019 08:03 AM

OK, so advised by Avid to install Asio4all which then caused PT to crash to desktop on launch. Uninstalled A4A and back to where we were. I ran Soundminer without it looking at a sound card and left it sitting while I started PT. Tried recording some VO and back to distorted recorded with just the Soundminer app running but not having played any sound or even pointing at a soundcard. It gets stranger.

64GTOBOY 05-01-2019 08:26 AM

I dont use soundminer but i have had some issues with Izotope stuff and had to deinstall and reinstall to get rid of the problem. Mine was a vocal track that when RX7 or Nectar was instantiated on the track it would sound like a 2 bit playback of 48 k file and it did it with copies of the track and even after i imported the original audio file from the back up files from the original session. Before you reinstall i would suggest opening a fresh session and importing your audio first though to rule out a corrupted session

ShadeTek 05-01-2019 08:44 AM

I have created a new session and it happens in that too. I have also X'd out the prefs and run with new prefs.

musicman691 05-01-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadeTek (Post 2523636)
I have created a new session and it happens in that too. I have also X'd out the prefs and run with new prefs.

Would you please answer the question I posted earlier: What did you have the session set to? Was it something other than what you say the file metadata says?

ShadeTek 05-02-2019 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2523648)
Would you please answer the question I posted earlier: What did you have the session set to? Was it something other than what you say the file metadata says?

The file was recorded as per session settings.

musicman691 05-02-2019 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadeTek (Post 2523705)
The file was recorded as per session settings.

To clarify:
You set the session to 24 bit/48KHz and the resulting recording is 24 bit/48KHz? I don't see the problem.