Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Instrument Track assigned wrong midi output when reopening sessions (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407973)

trevvahhh 01-08-2020 12:44 PM

Instrument Track assigned wrong midi output when reopening sessions

Hey all - searched and couldn't find much on this. In a nutshell, sessions with multiple instrument tracks will reopen with midi outputs assigned unreliably. Normally all will open as it was saved, but often enough some instrument tracks will have their midi outputs assigned to none (instead of to the inst plugin on the track it is on and was assigned to before closing session) or assigned to a different instrument track's plugin (resulting in the midi from both inst tracks triggering the instrument on one track).

This has been happening since at least PT10, I'm at 2019.5 but don't see any indication of a fix scanning the release notes for .6.10.12 etc. Maddening for obvious reasons as i'm working on multiple sessions like this a day and trying to jump back in to address client notes without having to make sure everything is as I left it.

Occasionally seems to happen when I duplicate an instrument track more than once and then change the track order.. but not always.

Anyone with insight into this? Appreciate any input! Thanks

midnightrambler 01-08-2020 01:04 PM

Re: Instrument Track assigned wrong midi output when reopening sessions

Ohhhhhhhhhhh yes...

I found a couple of reasons which I mention in this thread...

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=399759

..but who knows, there may be hundreds more by now...

trevvahhh 01-08-2020 03:30 PM

man what a mess. just happened to me again over here. is there a best official channel to add another report on this? it's been happening forever, I know people throw a lot of criticism at avid but seems like a basic thing that needs to be addressed

appreciate your reply!

take77 01-08-2020 10:24 PM

This stopped happening since I updated to 2019.12. (Windows 10)
At least in my current session which employs several instrument tracks.

I'll be starting a new session soon and will see if it happens then.

trevvahhh 01-08-2020 11:09 PM

looks like my update plan expired two days before that release... would be great if someone else or mod could confirm that 2019.12 fixed it

thanks for the reply!!

Southsidemusic 01-08-2020 11:11 PM

We are on Macs and never happened to us and sure doesn’t happen in either 2019.10 or 2019.12 Ultimate which is the same app as Vanilla minus some features so if it works in Ultimate it works in Vanilla too and it does.

PS. take77 is a trusted and knowledgeable contributing member here on the forum and if he says it works I would Take that (see what I did there) to the bank any day of the week :-)

musicman691 01-09-2020 05:06 AM

I haven't seen this kind of thing since PT 11.3.2.

There are times though that PT still has problems keeping MIDI assignments straight IF you change the instrument from one vi to another say you go from EW Play engine vi to something in NI Kontakt. But once you get that straightened out it remembers the assignment forever after even if you save/quit/reopen the same session. But have not seen what the op is talking about.

take77 01-09-2020 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevvahhh (Post 2550369)
looks like my update plan expired two days before that release... would be great if someone else or mod could confirm that 2019.12 fixed it

thanks for the reply!!

Try 2019.10. I was using .6 for a while and that's when I had resumed MIDI work and actually noticed the problem.
Then I remember saying OK I'll try .10 now and don't recall the problem since.
I had only updated to .12 to see if a whole another MIDI issue was fixed. (See sample rounding thread).

So you should have access to 2019.10 and can give that a try.

take77 01-09-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2550394)
I haven't seen this kind of thing since PT 11.3.2.

There are times though that PT still has problems keeping MIDI assignments straight IF you change the instrument from one vi to another say you go from EW Play engine vi to something in NI Kontakt. But once you get that straightened out it remembers the assignment forever after even if you save/quit/reopen the same session. But have not seen what the op is talking about.

This may have been my actual issue since I was using NI Kontakt and various drum libraries.
I haven't changed my settings or experienced any changes since settling on a kit for the session.

midnightrambler 03-16-2020 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For f*ck's sake.

For f*ck's f*cking sake.

6 mixes printed incorrectly because I had the audacity to close the session temporarily and then re-open it, leaving a random instrument track unassigned on re-opening.

SORT IT OUT AVID.