Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Digi MIDI i/o Duplicated and greyed in Audio/Midi setup (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=242520)

xxicjoy 03-26-2009 12:52 PM

Digi MIDI i/o Duplicated and greyed in Audio/Midi setup

This happens to me pretty frequently. My midi goes offline and in the AUDIO MIDI setup, my original MIDI i/o icon has been renamed Midi i/o 2 and greyed out. A second Midi i/o icon named midi i/o 1 is now present and can't be deleted. All I can do is delete the original one and redraw all my connections to it. And then restart. Pretty maddening. Any Fix for this? FYI i am using PT HD 7.4 cs5 on Intel Mac 4x 2.66 and MAC os X 10.4.11

xxicjoy 03-27-2009 01:15 PM

Re: Digi MIDI i/o Duplicated and greyed in Audio/Midi setup

http://homepage.mac.com/skylabfilmpop/Picture10.png

Here you go. Just did it again this morning when adding IAC bus ports

@ndy 05-27-2009 11:18 PM

I have a similar problem! I get the extra midi i/o devices showing up, but I can delete them. I don't have to reconnect everything. I do have to restart my computer to get my Motormix back online and my connection names. This happens often! :confused: I guess this is why it is discontinued!

DigiTechSupt 05-28-2009 10:59 AM

Try this:

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences>By Host and trash 'com.apple.midi.a bunch of numbers and letters.plist'.

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences and trash 'com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist'.

Empty the trash and restart, then see if everything is working.

How do you have the MIDI IO connected - directly or through a hub? Are you using the PSU or USB power for it?

@ndy 05-28-2009 07:45 PM

Digi,
I will trash my midi prefs tonight and see what happens. I am running the midi i/o in one of the usb ports on the back of my mac pro. I do not use the power supply but I have one. I believe that if I hit the reset button on the midi i/o it creates more devices as well. I will double check. Thanks.

@ndy 05-28-2009 08:46 PM

Nice call digi! The pref under "by host" I did not know about. Now I can hit reset without the duplicates showing up! And if it happens again I know what to do. :-) Maybe Jean-Charles Deshaies should add that to the "ProTools Pref and Database Helper"! I love that little app. :D

@ndy 06-03-2009 05:41 PM

I spoke too soon! The fix did not last. I use Logic 8, Peak Pro 6, Ableton Live Suite 8 and Reason 4 as well as PTLE 8. Just to name the main apps! It is hard to track when this problem occurs because I switch apps allot. I will have to find my PSU and try that out. It's buried in one of my cable storage boxes! :rolleyes:

DigiTechSupt 06-04-2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

I will have to find my PSU and try that out.
That would definitely be the next step.

Is it becoming greyed out while the computer is on? If so, that would indicate a mis-communication or loss of communication on the USB bus - maybe due to a low power situation (which the PSU would help). Do you have a lot of other USB devices connected?

@ndy 06-04-2009 11:37 AM

I'm pretty sure it always happens with the computer on. Sometimes it happens on stuck notes when I have to hit reset in stand alone apps with no "all notes off". Yes I have my Local off! It has also happened when quitting PTLE prematurely because my ilok was not plugged in. I did find my PSU and it is wired up and I will see how it goes. As far as USB devices go I added a PCI express 4 port card connected to a Belkin ipod dock/4 port hub, two 20" Cinema displays where I plug my iloks in, and a APC XS 1500. On the rear USB ports of my Mac Pro I have the Digidesign Midi I/O, Apple keyboard with mighty mouse & Griffin Powermate attached, and a Wacom Intuos 2 tablet. On the front port I have a Axiom 25 controller. On the Belkin dock/hub I have a Epson RX580 printer/scanner, a Dymo labelwriter 400, Elgato EyeTV 250, Kensington LED keyboard light, and a USB extender for using my Powermate to trigger recording from my drum kit. I usually attach my flash drive on the second front port on my Mac. The short answer would have been Yes! :D

Aussie Mick 06-10-2009 03:17 AM

It's good to see that I am not the only one having this problem.
Everybody I speak to from Digidesign or Apple have been saying that they have not see this before.
I have 2 x Digi I/O's and 1 MOTU 128 Express running on a MacPro 8 core intel with 16Gb of ram. Pro Tools 8 HD 2.
My digi Midi I/O's are always dropping out from the Apple AMS (Apple Midi Setup) program and putting new ones in.
Then I have to remap my Midi setup what a pain.
I have made a copy of my preference on my Midi devices so I can copy it back into the User/Library/Audio/MIDI Configurations.
This sometimes work but then my Midi I/O's are back there in grey, and again 2 new Midi I/O's have been created.
The funny thing is that my MOTU 128 is rock solid and always is there no drop outs.
I am starting to think because the Digi Midi I/O are only USB 1 there is the problem.
I have updated the firmware to version 2 like everybody tells you to do over and over again.
Also there might be something in the update to OS x 10.5.7 don't do it.
I never had this problem running my old Power Mac 10.4.x and Pro Tools 7.4.x
There seems to be alot about the USB not working on alot of devices running 10.5.7.
My Tascam DVRA1000HD has stopped mounting with the arrival of 10.5.7.
If I put it onto a machine running 10.5.5 or 10.5.6 all good.
Removing preferences dose nothing.
If any one comes up with a fix please let us know.
Aussie Mick