Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Considering going from HDN to HDX - Any downsides? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406059)

clonewar 08-22-2019 06:13 PM

Considering going from HDN to HDX - Any downsides?

I have a smooth running PT Ultimate / HDN setup on a powerful Windows workstation (HP Z820, 24 core, Win 10 Pro), but am considering moving to HDX2 to access more hardware I/O. This is mainly for mixing, only a little tracking. I use a lot of outboard hardware via inserts and am hitting the 64 I/O limit and would like to add more Symphony or Avid I/O boxes.

I know the differences between HDN and HDX, what I'm wondering is if there are any downsides or gotchas in moving to HDX. Is stability generally the same between both platforms. I've read about issues when mixing DSP and native plugins, but assuming I used all native plugins and hardware inserts should I expect any issues?

On the other hand are there any upsides in my situation (besides accessing extra I/O) in moving to HDX? Will there be any differences with hardware inserts?

Thanks for the help!
Mike

Farhoof 08-23-2019 01:28 AM

Re: Considering going from HDN to HDX - Any downsides?

The internal mixer is always DSP, so using a native plugin on an aux will cause an added delay compared to your native setup. Even without mixing dsp plugs with native plugs, there is always a switch from dsp to native (when used on an aux, tracks are ok).
IIRC the delay is the length of your hardware buffer (settings).

JFreak 08-23-2019 04:59 AM

Hi, welcome to the community.

First check your computer has enough power for the HDX cards

midnightrambler 08-23-2019 01:46 PM

HD-X is just horrible to mix on if you want to combine AAX-DSP and AAX-Native plugs. Just my 2p.

albee1952 08-23-2019 02:32 PM

Maybe the better question is: What's the upside? If you need more than 64 IO, then you have to weigh things out, but if 64 is enough IO, I'd stick with HDN. My last commercial studio had 48 IO and I never actually used it all up, even tracking 6-7 piece bands:o

audioluche 08-23-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightrambler (Post 2536175)
HD-X is just horrible to mix on if you want to combine AAX-DSP and AAX-Native plugs. Just my 2p.

In my experience (On HDX since the last 7 years), HDX is far more better than TDM ever was for mixing DSP and Native plugins. Less voice usage, better stability, etc...

Never had any problem with my HDX rig. Except some minor Pro Tools bugs that are affecting all users...

audioluche 08-23-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clonewar (Post 2536129)
I have a smooth running PT Ultimate / HDN setup on a powerful Windows workstation (HP Z820, 24 core, Win 10 Pro), but am considering moving to HDX2 to access more hardware I/O. This is mainly for mixing, only a little tracking. I use a lot of outboard hardware via inserts and am hitting the 64 I/O limit and would like to add more Symphony or Avid I/O boxes.

I know the differences between HDN and HDX, what I'm wondering is if there are any downsides or gotchas in moving to HDX. Is stability generally the same between both platforms. I've read about issues when mixing DSP and native plugins, but assuming I used all native plugins and hardware inserts should I expect any issues?

On the other hand are there any upsides in my situation (besides accessing extra I/O) in moving to HDX? Will there be any differences with hardware inserts?

Thanks for the help!
Mike

I always record with DSP plugins (Of course!) and switch to Native when mixing. I found that HDX is far better at handling native than TDM ever was.
I dont have any problems using all native plugins while mixing.

Sometimes I dont switch all plugins from DSP to Native (but I tend to do so, dont want to do DSP / Native /DSP / Native trip for nothing) and it never caused any problems.

I have a mid 2010 Mac Pro and have some fairly large mixes. When I run out of power, it's when I use a lot of very cpu intensive plugins.

But I never made the test to switch one of my mix to core audio , just to see if I would gain some cpu headroom, but I doubt it would be the case.

Hope this helps.

Downtown_BE 08-24-2019 02:30 AM

HDN here with 56 ins and outs and very happy! lots of hardware i/o too and never had any issues with it so I can highly recommend HDN - with the new PT 2019.6 I can even record at low buffer sizes..

midnightrambler 08-25-2019 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioluche (Post 2536181)
I dont have any problems using all native plugins while mixing.
Sometimes I dont switch all plugins from DSP to Native (but I tend to do so, dont want to do DSP / Native /DSP / Native trip for nothing) and it never caused any problems.

If you’re switching all your DSP plugs to Native, it doesn’t seem to me like you’re using any aspect of the HD-X system for mixing? Personally I find having to worry about the whole DSP-Native plug-in round trip malarkey a stress I don’t want or need.

Will Russell 08-25-2019 05:55 AM

hi,

I mix all day everyday on HDX with both DSP and native plugins and totally love it! I also appreciate the low latency tracking and easy ability to overdub into a fully developed mix.