Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   URS E.Q.'s - Do I really need them all? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=139003)

KC Kelly 06-09-2005 08:03 PM

URS E.Q.\'s - Do I really need them all?

URS E.Q.'s - Do I really need them all?

I already have the Classic Console EQ Bundle TDM and the N12 Native and the BLT TDM.

I would like to have the Fultec and both N12 and A10 in TDM.

Do I really need the S series and MIX EQ Bundle?

Also what are some of your favorite URS plugs and what do you use them on?

Thanks,

KC

Kurtstudio 06-09-2005 10:33 PM

Re: URS E.Q.\'s - Do I really need them all?

The Neve, API and Fulteck are indespenceable to me, vocals, Neve, Gtr, Drums, API, Fultec, Warmth to anything. The SSl Eq is great to for console master fater or adding thatharsh sound we love so deom SSL.. That's it!

KC Kelly 06-10-2005 10:06 PM

Thanks for the reply.

There has to be some more URS user here.

What about it?

Thanks,

KC

tball 06-10-2005 11:06 PM

If you have the dough then go for it, you can't go wrong. The URS EQ's IMHO are the only digital EQ's that are worth a crap. All the others (except for the BF Pultec) sound exactly the same. Waves,Sony, Filter Bank are all unmusical and unusable.

mindnoise 06-11-2005 03:59 AM

Although I wouldn´t agree that Sony and McDSP sound aweful or the same,
I go with that a URS is never wrong.

I don´t think you acutally NEED the S and MIX but since they are together on a "cheap" bundle, it´s a nice addition.

I´d say go with the A and N flavours first, then the Fultec.

I actually put an URS on every track, mostly the untweaked BLT, since it sounds better just by running the audio though it.

regs

IntelDoc 06-11-2005 05:42 AM

I bought the EVERYTHING BUNDLE with their Rent to own plan. 300 a month is easy and lighter on the pockets then dumping 1200 at once. I use the NEVE plugs all the time now and have not used my Waves EQ for not sure how long now.

Well worth it. The song below was done using them. FULTEC on the master fader and URS Neve plugs for kick and snare. Used a few others for overheads and hat. I really like them.

- Doc

LOVEKILLER

frenchman 06-11-2005 07:11 AM

Quote:

Waves,Sony, Filter Bank are all unmusical and unusable.

mmmm interesting. Where, in your world, do I (and the countless users of these plugins) fit then, as a user of both Waves renaissance and Sony EQ (and even McDsp from time to time): incompetent, deaf ?

But after all who knows, maybe you are right. Time will tell... in the end

I for one am always interested in opinions that challenge my habits, as this has often enabled me to improve on my work. This forum is a great place pecisely for that reason.

BUT it also has made me very cautious in delivering such definitive jugements, because I don't like making an fool of myself...

tball 06-11-2005 09:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Waves,Sony, Filter Bank are all unmusical and unusable.

mmmm interesting. Where, in your world, do I (and the countless users of these plugins) fit then, as a user of both Waves renaissance and Sony EQ (and even McDsp from time to time): incompetent, deaf ?

But after all who knows, maybe you are right. Time will tell... in the end

I for one am always interested in opinions that challenge my habits, as this has often enabled me to improve on my work. This forum is a great place pecisely for that reason.

BUT it also has made me very cautious in delivering such definitive jugements, because I don't like making an fool of myself...

This definitive judgement was preceded by the letters IMHO. Yes it is a strong opinion, and that is all it is. I do not like any of the aforementioned eqs. I think they're all the same. I love the URS eqs so much they have caused me to have a disdain for the others. It's nothing personal, I just don't like how they sound. It is worth your $$$ to buy all of them.

Matt_G 06-12-2005 07:20 AM

I like the URS A & N series when mixing. But if it's true analog sound & transparency that you are after, then you can't beat Waves Q-Clone. It's a bit of a secret weapon really. People read the information about it & think because they don't own any outboard eq, that this plug-in is of no use to them. But when you download the demo, it comes with hundreds of eq snapshots from real analog outboard units like GML, Avalon, Pultec etc. captured at 96kHz. They didn't label them like this due to copyright infringement, but these are the real deal! Ok it's not the most convenient way to eq something if you're in a hurry or especially if you need a complex curve, but the sound of these snapshots are gorgeous!

I still prefer the sound & convenience of my Weiss EQ-1 but Q-Clone could even capture this then later reproduce it perfectly without the unit even being present. Imagine having up to 24 tracks of weiss, avalon or pultec at your disposal! Try the demo out for yourself. And before you ask, no I don't work for Waves.. lol

frenchman 06-12-2005 10:23 AM

Quote:

I love the URS eqs so much they have caused me to have a disdain for the others. It's nothing personal, I just don't like how they sound. It is worth your $$$ to buy all of them.

Ok, I will download the demo and see!