Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ProControl, Control|24, Command|8 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=338894)

Bill Denton 07-14-2013 10:48 AM

Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stukface (Post 2062674)
+1

Guys lets stick to the goal of the thread. It is to get Avids attention as to how the lack of the driver is keeping many of us from upgrading.

Arguing between each other isn't to get us anywhere, and might even keep Avid from taking this thread serious.

We all have our own ideas of the situation, but at the end of the day the only answer/idea that means anything is Avids.

Focus on the goal to get Avids attention.

I think you guys have Avid's attention...what you need to work on is coming up with a compelling argument why Avid should enable the Control 24 units in PT 11.

You could present real evidence regarding what future revenue Avid will lose (and "me and all of my friends" is not real evidence), or you could present evidence showing how it would just be good public relations for Avid to add the Control 24 code to PT 11.

But screaming and shouting is not going to win this thing for you...

Brahamnesik 07-14-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Technician (Post 2062668)
I am not certain that old code is in the HUI personality profile for PT11. HUI is a protocol. The code that is necessary to receive data from a controller using HUI protocol and the code that is necessary to send data to a controller using HUI protocol exists in a personality profile for PT11.

HUI protocol was built upon MIDI. MIDI is about 30 years old. MIDI works in PT11.

Would anyone be happy if their DAW software of choice could not work with MIDI devices when it went 64-bit? No.

For Avid to keep Pro Tools open in the context of using any third party interface or control surface, they had to keep HUI going.

Disclaimer: I work for a facility that owns a D-Command, a Command|8, a C|24, two Artist Mix surfaces, and has two rooms that rely on HUI protocol for controlling Pro Tools.

So, how come that Command8 is working with Pro Tools 11? Correct me if I'm wrong but it's been released in 2004, pretty old and USB.

What's AVID logic?

CME 07-14-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louieshowers (Post 2062621)
The buzz kill strikes again! I think I've figured out something interesting. Avid is genius! This is all a charade to get another $500-$1,000 from you guys. But they are crafty about it. They discontinue a vital function until we rant and rave and eventually beg them to take your money (same as cptk) for something that should just have been supported. You'll get your drivers guys, but Avid needs to figure out how much they can scrape from your checking accounts first.

Like you Bill, I will never stop posting my opinions. Avid should use the money to enroll in business ethics courses and customer relations seminars.

This is what I'm getting at. If it was truly a hardware issue, I believe they would have pointed it out by now to shut this thread down. And I believe $599 was always the intended price for the CPTK to HD upgrade. But let us make a ruckus and then they think they look good by reducing the price/releasing a paid driver. I believe neither issue would take a huge effort on Avid's part to make work.

However at this point I'm starting to feel that they may not release a paid driver update for you guys. I really think they're gambling you'll buy a new control surface along with a new HD|N or HDx card. I mean they were "nice" enough to let the old blue interfaces keep working. That should be some consolation. (End sarcasm)

Bill Denton 07-14-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brahamnesik (Post 2062688)
So, how come that Command8 is working with Pro Tools 11? Correct me if I'm wrong but it's been released in 2004, pretty old and USB.

What's AVID logic?

The Command 8 manual I found online shows a copyright date of 2008.

... and USB. And there's your answer right there...the Command 8 is basically a HUI device. The Control 24 is an Ethernet device, using a proprietary control set.

louieshowers 07-14-2013 01:29 PM

wow, you really showed him Bill! Thanks for protecting the lion as he's chomping on the limbs of the gazelle. You should put in an application for Avid Customer Success. You would probably win employee of the year! Keep Rockin - the sinking ship... YAWN

if they don't hire you, apply for the Obama administration.. they could use another justifier.

YYR123 07-14-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louieshowers (Post 2062724)
wow, you really showed him Bill! Thanks for protecting the lion as he's chomping on the limbs of the gazelle. You should put in an application for Avid Customer Success. You would probably win employee of the year! Keep Rockin - the sinking ship... YAWN

if they don't hire you, apply for the Obama administration.. they could use another justifier.

Ouch - I'm going back to face book

Bill Denton 07-14-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louieshowers (Post 2062724)

Those damned facts really hurt guys like you, don't they?

Do you have any facts to put forth to show my answer to Brahamnesik is wrong?

Can you come up with even a plausible lie?

bcwiz 07-14-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Denton (Post 2062715)
The Command 8 manual I found online shows a copyright date of 2008.

... and USB. And there's your answer right there...the Command 8 is basically a HUI device. The Control 24 is an Ethernet device, using a proprietary control set.

Command|8 was launched 2004. Being a usb device doesn't make it a HUI. It is a combo I/O interface and control surface that connects via usb.
It's not a HUI neither is the 003. The ethernet or usb or firewire connection has no relevance. Avid doesn't support HUI, haven't for some time.
They want to go all Eucon, fair enough but don't cripple old hardware. I make my living with Pro Tools and I like it but I won't upgrade to PT11 because I want to keep using my Pro Control which functions well and is in perfect shape. I even have spares for it.
That's one sale missed times however many Control|24 and Pro Control users out there that feel the same way.
Don't have to support them just put the protocols back in and move on. Please.

deanrichard 07-14-2013 04:12 PM

I don't own a Control 24 and I have no "skin" in this game. But I still want to offer my opinion that it's very upsetting that Avid has failed to address this issue head-on.

The people who own Control 24's have made large investments in Pro Tools systems. It's not unreasonable to ask Avid for an explanation.

And as a professional software engineer, I find it hard to believe that the reason is technical. Any reasonable design would have a software interface into the PT system which the various external controllers each use. To lock out one controller type, but not another, seems "curious". And while it might not be as simple as recompiling the Control 24 driver code for 64-bit, it shouldn't be a complete rewrite either.

scotsman 07-14-2013 04:20 PM

Jonathan this could well be the reason why certain parts were included, I am not aware if HUI is a subsystem of midi, and agreed that midi is a must.

We have not had a video or text telling us about how they assembled the PT11 code, but to start at 0 code would be a very very hard task, most software is develop from a combination of good code sections plus new elements as required. For sure the audio engine parts are new, but it would be fine to port in existing code for certain parts, screen display, disk functions, etc and external controllers!!
These are all the subsystems, which together make the full system and data is passed between the subsystems using standard protocols and various registers. Old code does not mean bad code or inefficient, but fully functional and hopefully bug free as it has been tested over many years. This code would be recompiled to the target OS in this case for 64 bits, enabling it to address the full memory size. So unless there were problems which required a rewrite then it would be left alone, why give themselves more work when this was not the problem?

So for me this makes the inclusion of the necessary code for the control 24 or pro control fairly straight forward. Remember that they could have disabled other peripherals like the 192 or 96 simply by removing the code, but as we know it is not the controller side of the newer I/O that changed but the A/D & D/A circuitry, so all is well .....currently. But that could change if they want to sell a few more I/Os, not that they would do that, but they could just by deleting a few line of code!!

So our destiny is in their hands and theirs in ours as they need our money and we need their software, if the balance is out then :confused:

Finally my PT HD2 is working well so the onus in on Avid to make me and others like me a compelling case to move to PT11 HDx but current the price with a new controller just doesn't add up!! :(

A new week is coming hopefully one where Avid will tell us what they think.

Cheers
Scotsman