Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   adjusting volume automation (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=156010)

euphjazz 12-29-2005 12:06 AM

adjusting volume automation

I'm running PT 6.4. I'm in Volume View. I've added multiple breakpoints of volume automation to a cut's tracks. Now I want to drop the volume of all tracks over the entire duration of the cut because some tracks are clipping. I like the current overall mix.

I have all my tracks selected the whole tune and I want to use the trimmer to pull down the volume line (levels) evenly for all selected. What I find happens is that new breakpoints are added at the end of the selection but that the left end of the selected area is anchored while the rest of the selection pulls down I end up with a fade down during the leg of the automation. What I want is for both ends as well as all of the enclosed points drop down uniformly while retaining their original mix, just at a lower level.

I've tried the grabber +ALT and +CTL with no success as well.

I've gone through the PTLE guide looking at editing automation data and can't find the answer. Am I missing something?

Rick

matsukubo 12-29-2005 05:49 AM

Re: adjusting volume automation

yes...i found this frustrating too. i usually make two break points at either end and then highlight the second breakpoint of the front end and same at the end...then all edits can be adjusted evenly without changing original edits or creating fades before or after the region.

bigbubbaj 12-29-2005 05:58 AM

You need to have the trimmer tool selected, and the tracks selected, highlight a portion of the audio and you should have no trouble...or select ALL...etc. It works quite well..

Reference manual

Camilo Toledo 12-29-2005 06:25 AM

Even before I mention automation or setting automation, if your tracks are going RED a few things you may want to fix not with automation. Starting with, was the track recorded to HOT and its clipping? if you added plug ins to the track are they clipping, can you PRINT the track with a little compression so you can manage it better?

tamasdragon 12-29-2005 06:35 AM

I'm using more systems here (protools, nuendo, etc.) and I find that protools le automation is something very entry level compared to other products.
regards Tamas Dragon

lemix 12-29-2005 06:41 AM

IMO PT automation is one of it's strongest feature..Must say never worked on Nuendo though. Care to explain why would that be better?
cheers,

bigbubbaj 12-29-2005 06:56 AM

Quote:

I'm using more systems here (protools, nuendo, etc.) and I find that protools le automation is something very entry level compared to other products.
regards Tamas Dragon

You obviously don't know the full extent of how it works...it is Industry leading, IMHO.

joethebassman 12-29-2005 07:02 AM

I would have to agree with BigBubba!!!!!!!

tamasdragon 12-29-2005 07:17 AM

Industry leading does not mean that it is the best. LE is not industry leader, you rather thought tdm hardware hd accels. In a hd system the automation is ok, but in Le it really like it was rewritten. An example, lack of write to end feature. I do not say that digidesign doesn't make fantastic products, but to be industry leader today more of some kind of aggressive marketing. Especially if you take a look at the mastering part of this industry, you can find many little company who makes superior products.
Regards Tamas Dragon

albee1952 12-29-2005 09:20 AM

Back to the original QQ, what works for me is to scroll to the end of the song-make sure VOLUME is showing in the automation box-using the smart tool, grab the volume line and it adjusts all they way back to zero. My biggest problem is when I want to adjust a small section with breakpoints already in place. It keeps moving the whole track level instead of that section unless I highlight the section. Back to the insert idea, that works as well by lowering the output of a comp or EQ plugin. You could also highlight the whole track and select the GAIN plugin from the AudioSuite menu and lower the whole track by 1 or 2 db. I prefer to do that but just on the actual clipped waveform.