Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ProControl, Control|24, Command|8 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Trading down to Command 8? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=157007)

donnacha 01-09-2006 01:57 PM

Trading down to Command 8?

Hi.

Currently using my ProControl with a MIX PLUS system, 6.4.1, 2x888|24.

Want to upgrade to HD2 and selling the ProControl seems to be one way of coming up with the cash in a hurry.

Been checking out the Command 8. I figure I'd probably bypass the monitoring section but otherwise, the feature set seems quite good for something at that price point.

Anyone used both?

Am I CRAZY?

Thanks!

Donnacha.

kleefurd 01-11-2006 09:03 AM

Re: Trading down to Command 8?

The ProControl's outdated anyway. The Command 8 is pretty handy (I am using one) and once you get some cash from the sale of ProControl and upgrade to HD, you will be making some money and maybe in time, keep the Command 8 as a remote controller and upgrade to an Icon, which I am very sure, you will NOT regret.

Jim Roberts 01-11-2006 10:41 AM

Quote:

The ProControl's outdated anyway. The Command 8 is pretty handy (I am using one) and once you get some cash from the sale of ProControl and upgrade to HD, you will be making some money and maybe in time, keep the Command 8 as a remote controller and upgrade to an Icon, which I am very sure, you will NOT regret.

I don't really view the ProControl as outdated. Maybe I'm just 'rationalizing' due to the investment I've made in 32 channels of it BUT it is part of our daily workflow and, with the exception of the analog monitoring section, really does'nt seem outdated to me. Sure the labeling on the fader still only goes to +6 but I demoed the D Control and D Command. Nice looking products, clearly some enhancements to be had but nothing that passed the 'return on investment' test.

My 2 cents....

Jim

donnacha 01-11-2006 02:45 PM

Hi.

Thanks for the encouragement re: Command 8.

Like Jim, I don't quite agree that the ProControl is out dated and is also a useful part of my workflow and so I'm a little nervous about ditching it.

I'm not a commercial facility, this is my private studio. I'm a professional musician but there's a limit to what I can spend at the moment due to another investment. However, my mixes are now consistently maxing out the DSP of my Mix Plus system and I'm running up against the old problem of sessions being unable to reload plugins due to poor DSP management on the cards. In my gut I know it's just time to upgrade, plain and simple.

So, I'm trying to figure out if the trade up in DSP power is worth the trade down in control surface or whether I should just try to find another way to fund the upgrade.

Can anyone with experience of both give me some indication of whether the reduced feature set of the Command 8 will be too much of a step down or is the C8 in fact a very capable control surface?

Thanks guys!

Donnacha.

Craig F 01-11-2006 07:45 PM

you might want to just get another DSP card if you have room.
you keep what you have and add some more power.

might help us help you if you told us what computer and version of PT your using

donnacha 01-12-2006 08:01 AM

>might help us help you if you told us what computer and version of PT your using>

Running Mix Plus on g4 dual 1.25ghz, 1.75 gb ram, PT 6.4.1, 2 x 888|24.

Had thought of just adding another MIx Farm card but at this stage have definitely decided to opt for the upgrade if I can manage to fund it. Digi are still offering very reasonable prices for a trade up to HD2 (including the new PCI-E) from a Mix Plus system. So, I think now is the time to do it or risk being stuck with a system which, while although still very useful practically, will have next to no monetary value in 12 or maybe even 6 months time.

What I really need is to know whether the Command 8 is such a huge step down from Pro Control that it makes this a crazy way to fund the upgrade. If so, I will find another source of funds.

Anyone used both? Anyone able to tell me if this would be a big mistake? Opinions of Command 8 in general? Thanks guys!

Donnacha.

Craig F 01-12-2006 01:22 PM

I have not used the Command 8 so I can't help you on function.

Do you use the analog section (CR volume, TB to Cues) of the PC?
I do believe that the C8 is a leap down from the PC in this area.

Muzoid 01-15-2006 03:32 PM

Don't Do It!

A Command 8 is real cool but...

it ain't a ProControl. Lots of features that you're used to just aren't there. automation modes, plug-in assignments, send assignments, etc (things that you're used to now and probably use everyday).

If you downgrade I seriously think that you will regret it.

donnacha 01-22-2006 04:24 PM

Quote:

Don't Do It!

A Command 8 is real cool but...

it ain't a ProControl. Lots of features that you're used to just aren't there. automation modes, plug-in assignments, send assignments, etc (things that you're used to now and probably use everyday).

If you downgrade I seriously think that you will regret it.

Yep, in the end I came to the same conclusion and now I'm funding my upgrade by selling equipment that has been unused and in storage for over 18 months, MPC3000, TR-909, Mackie 24-8. I actually find it quite liberating to get rid of things from time to time so I don't really mind. Looking forward to my HD2!

Thanks for the advice guys!

Donnacha.

NewDave 02-07-2007 08:13 AM

Quote:

Yep, in the end I came to the same conclusion

Good call!
I was running LE001 with a SAK 2.2, I did the 002R upgrade and decided I wanted a controller that was more integrated into PTs. So, I got a Command8 to go with the 002R. The monitoring section left me using my Central Station, and the rest of the integration was no better than the SAK abiet being better labeled. I was about to go back to the SAK as it feels like a tool not a toy when a freind was kind enough to offer me a PC.

Once I used it I was hooked! The PC is the bomb!

I can finally turn off the displays and mix/navigate.

You would have really regreted this move!!! IMO

D