Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   can't open older PT sessions...help! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=290138)

js1268 12-18-2010 02:28 PM

can't open older PT sessions...help!

okay, here's the deal

i wrote about a half dozen songs in what i think was PT 7 back in 2006 and 2007 on an Apple G3 running OS 9.2

I kept the files stored on a high performance SCSI drive

I dug out the old Mac, and fired her up....

Everything was still in tact.... and so I moved all the PT sessions onto a 4 gig USB drive so I could then store them on the external Firewire drive I use to record on my Macbook Pro via Mbox2 mini

BUT, when I go to open the sessions they are not recognized as PT sessions and I can't open them.. Furthermore, the audio files (although clearly large) don't have the .SD2 suffix on them

Now, I know PT 8 is backwards compatible and should recognize, open, and then allow me to subsequently save the session and ancillary audio (.SD2) files in accordance with PT 8 ...but that's not happening

What did am I doing wrong, here?

Anyone?

In desperate need of help.... Thanks

Paul

caruso7r 12-18-2010 02:53 PM

Re: can't open older PT sessions...help!

Quote:

Originally Posted by js1268 (Post 1723295)
okay, here's the deal

i wrote about a half dozen songs in what i think was PT 7 back in 2006 and 2007 on an Apple G3 running OS 9.2

I kept the files stored on a high performance SCSI drive

I dug out the old Mac, and fired her up....

Everything was still in tact.... and so I moved all the PT sessions onto a 4 gig USB drive so I could then store them on the external Firewire drive I use to record on my Macbook Pro via Mbox2 mini

BUT, when I go to open the sessions they are not recognized as PT sessions and I can't open them.. Furthermore, the audio files (although clearly large) don't have the .SD2 suffix on them

Now, I know PT 8 is backwards compatible and should recognize, open, and then allow me to subsequently save the session and ancillary audio (.SD2) files in accordance with PT 8 ...but that's not happening

What did am I doing wrong, here?

Anyone?

In desperate need of help.... Thanks

Paul

A couple of things happened here. First the real problem is that you moved the .sd2 files onto a usb fat32 formatted drive which can't properly handle .sd2 files and you lost the resource forks for those files. If you have the original sessions still on the old G3 then open the sessions on the G3, do a "save copy in" and convert the audio files to .wav, then copy all those sessions over to your newer system. The session document in PT7 should be handled with no problems from PT8 but the transfer of audio files .sd2 onto the usb drive formatted fat32 killed the audio files.

js1268 12-18-2010 05:58 PM

Indeed, John... Seems to be the case with transferring files across a FAT32 drive

The problem with opening the sessions on the G3 is that they were written with a Digi001, so I'd need the interface in order to open the sessions.... and of course, I got rid of that a long time ago

What about if I transfer the sessions and audio files across Firewire to a 7500rpm drive that was once in my old Apple 'Lombard' laptop? ...will I still lose the resource forks?

Thanks for your help!

Paul

caruso7r 12-19-2010 12:12 AM

Any friends with a mbox nearby? You could install an older version of PT for the mbox and then open the sessions. As far as the firewire transfer, is the drive formatted

mac hfs? If it is then you may be fine. Simply copy to that drive and then open the drive and sessions with your new mac. You do have other options, pulling the old drive

out of you old mac and getting a usb enclosure for the old drive and hook that up to the new mac to get your files back. Drives are cheap today so to me it's worth

buying a new usb/firewire drive, format mac hfs with the new mac, then hook it up to the old mac. If the old mac doesn't see it, you can reformat on the g3 mac hfs

standard hook it up to the new mac to make sure it sees it. After you have confirmed at least one of these ways work, then copy your session folders over to the new

drive.

js1268 12-19-2010 09:35 AM

no, no friends with an Mbox...

Indeed, I believe the 7500rpm external drive is mac hfs....so i might be okay

those other options are also a way, too.... thing is, the internal drive i saved the sessions and audio on is an Ultra SCSI drive... no enclosures for that beast

BUT, I do have a spare ATA 133 drive that came out of a G4...so i could install that in the G3, and drop the sessions and audio files onto that....then just pick up a cheap USB or firewire enclosure and attach it to the new Macbook Pro

gotta be ways around this so I can get those files to work on

will keep you posted!

paul

caruso7r 12-19-2010 09:11 PM

Good luck and DO keep us posted. It's always good to know that these things will work out and at the worst we can all try another solution. Again good luck.

DigiTechSupt 12-20-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by js1268 (Post 1723572)
no, no friends with an Mbox...

Indeed, I believe the 7500rpm external drive is mac hfs....so i might be okay

those other options are also a way, too.... thing is, the internal drive i saved the sessions and audio on is an Ultra SCSI drive... no enclosures for that beast

BUT, I do have a spare ATA 133 drive that came out of a G4...so i could install that in the G3, and drop the sessions and audio files onto that....then just pick up a cheap USB or firewire enclosure and attach it to the new Macbook Pro

gotta be ways around this so I can get those files to work on

will keep you posted!

paul

This may help:

http://www.railjonrogut.com/sdTwoWav.htm

Top Jimmy 12-20-2010 10:18 AM

Why not reformat the 4 GB USB drive as HFS+? Mac OS does have a native disk utility.

js1268 12-24-2010 05:33 PM

alright, i did it!

no problems at all......

i transfered the files off the internal SCSI drive to an internal ATA 133..... then, i bought an IDE to USB 2.0 cable from CompUSA....and voila!

i then transferred the files to the firewire drive that i record to and opened them up... PT 8 told me that it would transfer the SDII files to .wav files upon opening and to save the session under a different name.... NICE!!!

incidentally, these were PT 5.1 sessions..... didn't realize just how old they were.... but it all worked out seamlessly