Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Renewal (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406517)

GS-DK 09-28-2019 09:35 AM

Renewal

Close to my annual renewal - and I am not impressed. I find it hard to persuade my self into renewing my subscription. Is it just me who have this feeling?

henningaround 09-28-2019 09:37 AM

Re: Renewal

Just did it because the price is going to be higher (rumors) for reinstatements.

Akiz 09-28-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS-DK (Post 2539580)
Is it just me who have this feeling?

Definitely not. Many of my colleagues have already jumped off the wagon because they felt that their money went down the drain. I was the last one that let my plan lapse, for that same reason and some more, that i have already expressed in another threads.

Cheers!

GS-DK 09-28-2019 10:53 AM

I know this sounds crazy, but the only feature that I can't find in another DAW (as far as I know) is the clip gain, which I use a lot. If Logic or Nuendo had the same thing - working the same way - then I think this would be it.

BScout 09-28-2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS-DK (Post 2539596)
I know this sounds crazy, but the only feature that I can't find in another DAW (as far as I know) is the clip gain, which I use a lot. If Logic or Nuendo had the same thing - working the same way - then I think this would be it.

Cubendo does. It's that little volume on the clip in the edit window. Nuendo has been used for Post for a long time (mostly in Europe and not the US where we are locked to Pro Tools.) Clip gain is a feature Pro Tools adopted late that dialogue editors first demanded/used in other DAWs.

To be clear, clip gain has been used in NLE for video production, in other DAWs used in audio post production, and was even part of the AAF/OMF interchange format way, way, way before Pro Tools added it.

GS-DK 09-28-2019 12:10 PM

Thanks - but what about multi point clip gain? I have only seen this in PT - I have only seen full clip gain in Nuendo.

xrekcor 09-28-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS-DK (Post 2539580)
Close to my annual renewal - and I am not impressed. I find it hard to persuade my self into renewing my subscription. Is it just me who have this feeling?

Hallelujah for perp lic’s :D

BScout 09-28-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS-DK (Post 2539607)
Thanks - but what about multi point clip gain? I have only seen this in PT - I have only seen full clip gain in Nuendo.

It's there too. Try adding points to the clip gain line.
Seriously, way before Pro Tools.

toolz 09-29-2019 04:50 PM

Generally updates have been very poor since in the subscription plan was implemented, a few features, but usually bug fixes, and OS compatibility.

The price difference between Standard and Ultimate is vastly different, yet most of the 'HD only features' have been passed to the standard version in the last 3 years.

They added Tax to the ultimate user that uses HD/HDN/HDX hardware in the form of a digilink licence on top of the Ultimate tariff.

We now need to see more of a push to get the promised voice upgrade to HDX, and maybe an option for the standard version to operate with Avid hardware, without the need for Surround, for a better price, and make music studios, (stereo mixing) very happy!

Cheesehead 09-29-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

To be clear, clip gain has been used in NLE for video production, in other DAWs used in audio post production, and was even part of the AAF/OMF interchange format way, way, way before Pro Tools added it.
Clip gain, along with clip FX was in Avid Audiovision in the 90's!
Avid have been chasing their own tail for years.
We finally got Clip gain & Clip FX in PT fairly recently, relatively.:confused:
On the plus side at least PT 2019 is now as stable as Audiovision was in 1998 and admittedly doing a lot more heavy lifting sound-wise.
That could well have a lot to do with the massive increase in CPU power in the interim of course.
Don't get me started on folders in the clips list (also a feature of Audiovision).

Really.. a flat list of hundreds of individual clips in each session's Clip list with no way to organise them... in 2019!
It is almost beyond belief.:cool: