Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Dual Boot Cheesegrader Mac Pro with PT 10 HD and Ultimate (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=409925)

Mattafact 04-30-2020 12:06 PM

Dual Boot Cheesegrader Mac Pro with PT 10 HD and Ultimate

I just bought PT 10 and plan to use it on Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion. My license also comes with Ultimate 2020.

For Ultimate I was planning on running High Sierra or Mohave. In that instance, can I use the optical port on my mac pro to feed something like an Apogee Rosetta 200 or 800? They're cheaper than buying an HD Native card and I wouldn't have to ditch my HD cards for tracking.

s.d. finley 04-30-2020 01:22 PM

Re: Dual Boot Cheesegrader Mac Pro with PT 10 HD and Ultimate

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattafact (Post 2564034)
I just bought PT 10 and plan to use it on Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion. My license also comes with Ultimate 2020.

For Ultimate I was planning on running High Sierra or Mohave. In that instance, can I use the optical port on my mac pro to feed something like an Apogee Rosetta 200 or 800? They're cheaper than buying an HD Native card and I wouldn't have to ditch my HD cards for tracking.

I would go with Mountain Lion as it can access more RAM. Which Mac Pro version do you have? This all should work too BTW. I have a MP 3.1 with mountain lion and El crap on it separate HDs. Works great!!

Mattafact 04-30-2020 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s.d. finley (Post 2564038)
I would go with Mountain Lion as it can access more RAM. Which Mac Pro version do you have? This all should work too BTW. I have a MP 3.1 with mountain lion and El crap on it separate HDs. Works great!!

That's good to know about the ram. Thanks for the info. I have a 12 core 5,1.

Ben Jenssen 04-30-2020 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s.d. finley (Post 2564038)

Not correct. ML can access lots of RAM, problem is PT10 can't access more than 4gb, being a 32bit app.

Edit: I meant even earlier versions than ML can access more ram.

Mattafact 05-01-2020 06:58 AM

Can I use Ultimate with the optical out into a Rosetta's adat input for mixing?

s.d. finley 05-01-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2564068)
Not correct. ML can access lots of RAM, problem is PT10 can't access more than 4gb, being a 32bit app.

Edit: I meant even earlier versions than ML can access more ram.

https://lowendmac.com/2018/mac-pro-21-64gb-of-ram/

this also works with Mac Pro 3.1 for the OP with a 5.1 this won't make a difference as his MP shipped with a higher OS than ML . Earlier versions of Mac OS cannot access more RAM as the older OS was not 64 bit.

originalscottyg 05-01-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattafact (Post 2564087)

The Mac optical out is not ADAT format, it is optical SPDIF/TosLink. I'm not that familiar with the Rosetta, but unless the Optical port on the Rosetta can do stereo SPDIF/TosLink, then probably not.

notable 05-05-2020 04:36 AM

I use the optical port on my cheese grater with the apogee mini-dac to go to a pair of powered monitors (and headphones) and it sounds great. A great sounding core audio out option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFreak 05-05-2020 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattafact (Post 2564087)

As already mentioned, Mac optical output is SPDIF. Rosetta 200 (stereo box) can do SPDIF optical but Rosetta 800 (8-channel box) can only do ADAT/SMUX

Mattafact 05-06-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2564489)
As already mentioned, Mac optical output is SPDIF. Rosetta 200 (stereo box) can do SPDIF optical but Rosetta 800 (8-channel box) can only do ADAT/SMUX

Good to know. Thanks!