Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   What steps did you take to arrive at a stable PT (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=381031)

zion 05-18-2016 10:47 AM

What steps did you take to arrive at a stable PT

I thought it might be helpful to hear from those who have a stable or somewhat stable Pro Tool system. Let's hear your journey from problem to problem solved. This may be helpful for those who are struggling with all kinds of errors codes and other problems. Just maybe you've been where they are. I'll chime in later with my experiences. :-)

zion 05-18-2016 02:28 PM

Re: What steps did you take to arrive at a stable PT

Alright I'll start it off. A few months ago I was getting a lot of AAE error -9173 error codes. After moving many plugins to the unused folder one by one and repairing preferences and the many others Pro Tools optimizations I couldn't figure out what was the problem. It just didn't make since. One day I noticed a pattern when I didn't have my USB Motu Micro Lite midi device hooked up I would never see an error. At first I thought I had a bad unit. I decided to check the Motu Web-Sight first to see if I had the latest driver before I toss it in the trash can and sure enough the driver I was using was about 2 years old. So I downloaded the latest driver uninstall the old one and installed the new one and bingo no more AAE error codes. At first I thought it might have been a bad plugin but it turned out to be and old midi device driver. Who knew! :o

sixstrings22 05-19-2016 07:12 AM

I made a move from a 2009 Imac running PT 10 to PT 12 on a new laptop - i5/ssd/10.10.5/003R - upgraded all plug-ins to the new format - yet I've yet to get it to work for longer than 7 seconds. I constantly get the 6101 & 6085 errors...all related to CPU overload and this w/ no plug-ins in the sessions ! I had an Avid person assigned to my 'ticket' - for 2 weeks and there's no hope in sight. I've used PT since PT 7...and up. So, for me, stable is simply using PT 10 on the Imac -for now and am considering a switch to either Logic or DP. What else is there to do?

zion 05-19-2016 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanonbass (Post 2357990)
I never did make mine stable. I pulled plugins, optimized, tried different OS. From PC to Mac it never ran nearly as good as 11.3.2. Always flaky. Spent way more time troubleshooting than making music and money. That is not a good thing.

It just felt sketchy to me when editing. PC would run fine then start melting down.

I just gave up. I will wait for a new version. Hopefully the next one will run right. I will try it.

I have to admit 11.3.2 was painless. I had to do a lot of work to make 12.5.0 stable enough. I only get one error code after I start Pro Tools. It's about about 5min in and then I don't see it again until next startup. After that it's pretty stable.

john1192 05-19-2016 10:11 AM

keep it turned off !!!! i am pretty stable except i keep getting bit by the UNDO Commit Bug ... i work pretty fast .. so 64 undo's can creep up pretty quick .. and it has happened 10+ times in the last 2 days .. i am saving like a fool and have the Undo History window open but i still miss it ... would be 100 crashes if i did not know what it was .. so thankful for the member here that found it and brought it to avid's attention .. after this fix i will find out if i am stable ..

Stig Eliassen 05-19-2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john1192 (Post 2358142)
keep it turned off !!!! i am pretty stable except i keep getting bit by the UNDO Commit Bug ... i work pretty fast .. so 64 undo's can creep up pretty quick .. and it has happened 10+ times in the last 2 days .. i am saving like a fool and have the Undo History window open but i still miss it ... would be 100 crashes if i did not know what it was .. so thankful for the member here that found it and brought it to avid's attention .. after this fix i will find out if i am stable ..

I'm sure you know this, but there is an option to clear the undo queue in the undo history window drop-down.

SDDP 05-19-2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zion (Post 2357867)
I thought it might be helpful to hear from those who have a stable or somewhat stable Pro Tool system. Let's hear your journey from problem to problem solved. This may be helpful for those who are struggling with all kinds of errors codes and other problems. Just maybe you've been where they are. I'll chime in later with my experiences. :-)

Um... steps? It's like an escalator.

zion 05-19-2016 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDDP (Post 2358154)
Um... steps? It's like an escalator.

So did the escalator ever get you there? LOL! :D

59.9hz 05-19-2016 07:13 PM

Sure... I'll chime in...
I'm on Windows. I used Task manager to "Set Affinity" to disable two of my processor cores for ProTools.exe Rock Solid since. I made a batch file to start Pro Tools this way so I don't have to do it manually anymore. For anyone with Windows (can mac do this?) I suggest give it a try. It takes less than 30 seconds.

SDDP 05-19-2016 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zion (Post 2358164)
So did the escalator ever get you there? LOL! :D

My bad. I meant treadmill.