Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   PT 12.6 HD working like a champ on Sierra plus another observation about CPU (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=385734)

Justin1524 10-23-2016 12:10 PM

PT 12.6 HD working like a champ on Sierra plus another observation about CPU

Ok some on my observations although more gut feeling right now...

1.) Downloaded and installed the new 12.6 HD Driver on Mac OS El Capitan
2.) Carbon Copy Cloned my boot drive to another drive for safety
3.) Installed macOS Sierra and ran PT 12.6 HD.

Observations:
1.) On a medium session, changing H/W Buffer Size to 64 Samples produced some CPU spikes until I changed the Disk Playback Cache Size from Normal to 40 GB (I have 64GB installed). After that I'm noticing significant performance improvement even on intensive plugins.

2.) Meters seem snappier visually to me.

3.) Core Audio to allow other apps to play/record audio through my HD hardware still not working.

Overall, worth it IMHO.

JFreak 10-23-2016 01:59 PM

Re: PT 12.6 HD working like a champ on Sierra plus another observation about CPU

I have found the same; however, Sierra is not yet officially supported so your mileage may vary...

jpellizzi 10-23-2016 03:10 PM

Re: PT 12.6 HD working like a champ on Sierra plus another observation about CPU

Are you on HD Native Thunderbolt or PCIe? I have Thunderbolt + Omni and I haven't heard a confirmed case of it working with Sierra yet.

I do have a carbon copy clone but I'm still holding off.

Justin1524 10-23-2016 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpellizzi (Post 2391063)
Are you on HD Native Thunderbolt or PCIe? I have Thunderbolt + Omni and I haven't heard a confirmed case of it working with Sierra yet.

I do have a carbon copy clone but I'm still holding off.

HD Native PCIe.

mbafmike 10-24-2016 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin1524 (Post 2391022)

2.) Meters seem snappier visually to me.

3.) Core Audio to allow other apps to play/record audio through my HD hardware still not working.

Overall, worth it IMHO.

12.6 on Mac OS Sierra finally got rid of the GUI lag, a huge relief that the metering works again after probably a year of ElCrapped mixing only by ear. LOL

However I do not understand that Core Audio still is not working and no priority is given for many moons regarding this important issue. I mean am I the only one using i.e. Logic Pro X for pre-production (Midi, Software-Synths)?

Anyway, I found out that the 12.5.2 Core Audio driver works with PT12.6 installed, Sierra, HDX and Logic Pro without problems, using Pacifist package manager and extracting only the Core Audio Driver. *phew*

Simon Johansson 10-24-2016 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbafmike (Post 2391134)
12.6 on Mac OS Sierra finally got rid of the GUI lag, a huge relief that the metering works again after probably a year of ElCrapped mixing only by ear. LOL

However I do not understand that Core Audio still is not working and no priority is given for many moons regarding this important issue. I mean am I the only one using i.e. Logic Pro X for pre-production (Midi, Software-Synths)?

Anyway, I found out that the 12.5.2 Core Audio driver works with PT12.6 installed, Sierra, HDX and Logic Pro without problems, using Pacifist package manager and extracting only the Core Audio Driver. *phew*

Mike, did I understand you correctly that you managed to get Core Audio to work on a HDX system?
Pacifist package manager, is that a separate program where you can open up the installation file and chose just the specific Core Audio driver to install?
I´m still on 12.5.2 and I don´t think that Core Audio works for me. Thought it was still not working.

mbafmike 10-24-2016 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Johansson (Post 2391142)
Mike, did I understand you correctly that you managed to get Core Audio to work on a HDX system?

Yep and the tip originally was provided by a competent user a while back on this board.

Just google 'Pacifist 3.5.11' by Charlessoft. It is a shareware application which opens *.pkg installation files. With it you can select in the 'driver' section of the Protools installer only the Core Audio Manager App and install it to its default location.

I think I've learned that the Protools installer automatically does NOT install the Core Audio Manager if it detects ElCrap or Sierra OS, so you have to do it manually taking your own risk.

It works just perfect for me with HDX and Logic Pro X. *relief*

I tried yesterday the manual installation of the Core Audio Manager provided with the new 12.6. installation file and the 12.6 HD driver, but it fails to work with Sierra and prompts a looped error message you can't escape. :D

jesele 10-24-2016 08:03 AM

But still doesn't work with iTunes, Triumph etc… I presume.

Jesper

Justin1524 10-24-2016 09:46 AM

Wow if this is true that Core Audio is a simple matter of getting the installer portion to work, it lends credence to my theory that Avid willfully and purposely disabled Core Audio. I can only think of two possible reasons.

1.) Technical issues once installed that somehow negatively impact performance in Pro Tools, although I can't see why.

2.) They don't want people who own HD Hardware switching DAWs and not signing up for PT subscriptions. Honestly if this is the reason, it's a crime if you ask me.

This has been asked so many times and I have yet to see or hear a single response from anyone from Avid about it. What gives?!

tamasdragon 10-24-2016 10:02 AM

I'm only brave with my own laptop, not with the studio machines. :) On my MacBook Pro with Pro Tools 12.6 and Mac Os Sierra everything seems to be very snappy, even with big sessions.