Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Macbook Pro backup before repair (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406325)

mightyduck 09-15-2019 09:50 PM

Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Hi,

I have to take my MacBook Pro 2017 [touchbar] in to have the screen fixed or something like that. They are "recommending" that I back it up first.

I run Pro Tools Native HD Ultimate [or whatever its called]. Current version is 2018.12.

I want to make sure I don't lose any authorizations or licenses or anything. I think I have all licenses on iLok anyway. I have everything backed up via Time Machine.

Anything I need to know or do before I give them the computer? There is a possibility that they may need to mess with the Logic Board.

Thanks.



Best,

mighty duck

Sardi 09-15-2019 10:22 PM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Buy a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner. (Itís very cheap.) Clone your HD to an external drive and thatís that.

I would NOT rely on Time Machine for a bit for bit clone of your boot drive.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darryl Ramm 09-15-2019 10:24 PM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
"or something like that" what does that mean? What are they doing? What problems? This yet another display flex cable failure? If they replace the motherboard you will lose everything on the drive (flex cable failures don't usually mean a motherboard replace... but you always want to have multiple backups). I've had one similar model (2016) motherboard replaced this year for a different failure (that does not affect 2017 models), SSD chips are soldered on the motherboard and Apple will not recover content for you, it's all gone forever if they swap boards.

Do you have the whole drive backed up to time machine? All the partitions? You are asking us if it's OK or what more you need to do but we have no idea what *exactly* you have done. You backed up to what drive/computer?

You have two or three separate backups? Because the moment you need to use one backup you no longer have a backup. You have only one surviving image. What if you make a finger mistake while restoring a backup and wipe the backup... it happens. Have you tested the backups work and can be recovered from?

There are better choices than time machine for boot drive/system backup. Starting with Carbon Copy Cloner. Clone to a high quality external USB 3 HDD. Reboot the Mac off that external drive and make sure everything important to you works. Rinse and repeat for at least one extra external drive. Keep them in separate locations, not connected to the computer.

mightyduck 09-16-2019 02:42 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2538190)
"or something like that" what does that mean? What are they doing?

It means the computer has screen weirdness and flickering [resolved by turning off "automatic graphics switching", btw]. But its not to weird. Usuable, just colors look strange. Text is fine. Everything looks "melted" on boot until I log in. Apple is going to cover the investigation and repair. So I guess they will investigate first, and I suppose I can have them call me to tell me what they are going to do to fix it.


Quote:

What problems? This yet another display flex cable failure? If they replace the motherboard you will lose everything on the drive (flex cable failures don't usually mean a motherboard replace... but you always want to have multiple backups). I've had one similar model (2016) motherboard replaced this year for a different failure (that does not affect 2017 models), SSD chips are soldered on the motherboard and Apple will not recover content for you, it's all gone forever if they swap boards.
Quote:

Do you have the whole drive backed up to time machine? All the partitions?
Yup.

Quote:

You are asking us if it's OK or what more you need to do but we have no idea what *exactly* you have done. You backed up to what drive/computer?
Lacie Thunderbolt [big-ass drive, I forget how many TB]

Quote:

You have two or three separate backups? Because the moment you need to use one backup you no longer have a backup. You have only one surviving image. What if you make a finger mistake while restoring a backup and wipe the backup... it happens. Have you tested the backups work and can be recovered from?

There are better choices than time machine for boot drive/system backup. Starting with Carbon Copy Cloner. Clone to a high quality external USB 3 HDD. Reboot the Mac off that external drive and make sure everything important to you works. Rinse and repeat for at least one extra external drive. Keep them in separate locations, not connected to the computer.
I downloaded ccc, but have not launched it yet. Maybe try the 30 day trial. I guess I could clone the drive onto the same drive I have been using for the Time Machine backup?


Best,

mightduck

mightyduck 09-16-2019 02:44 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2538189)
Buy a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner. (It’s very cheap.) Clone your HD to an external drive and that’s that.

I would NOT rely on Time Machine for a bit for bit clone of your boot drive.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really have any session data on the computer that is not already stored elsewhere. I am mostly just wondering about losing authorizations or licenses and such.


Best,


mightyduck

mightyduck 09-16-2019 02:48 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Do you have to have an empty new drive to use ccc, or can I just use space available on my Time Machine backup disk? There's plenty of room there, I believe.

I downloaded the trial version. Is it as simple as choosing the origin drive, then choosing the backup drive, then hitting go? Anything else required or advisable?

Thanks.


Best,

mightyduck

Sardi 09-16-2019 02:50 AM

Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyduck (Post 2538197)
I don't really have any session data on the computer that is not already stored elsewhere. I am mostly just wondering about losing authorizations or licenses and such.


Best,


mightyduck


Which is why I wrote in my first reply ĎI would NOT trust Time Machine for a bit for bit cloneí.

If you donít want to lose any authorisations on your boot drive, buy CCC and clone your HD. Itís a very cheap piece of software that is well worth having in your toolkit.

Do more though, that if you have any software that writes authorisations based off the HD ID, you will have to reauthorise that software if you boot from your ext. clone. Thereís no way round machine IDs unfortunately.

Having said that, very few do that these days but I have been caught out in the past with the odd piece of software.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sardi 09-16-2019 02:53 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyduck (Post 2538198)
Do you have to have an empty new drive to use ccc, or can I just use space available on my Time Machine backup disk? There's plenty of room there, I believe.

I downloaded the trial version. Is it as simple as choosing the origin drive, then choosing the backup drive, then hitting go? Anything else required or advisable?

Thanks.


Best,

mightyduck



If I clone to a drive with data on it already, I either partition the drive so that CCC is using a blank partition or I get CCC to clone the drive to a disk image on the HD with all the data on it.

I donít like cloning to a drive with multiple folders on there already. Might just be me, but I donít find it to be ideal.

If you clone to a disk image, the only draw back is that it wonít be bootable. But, the image can be cloned to a new drive which will be bootable.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mightyduck 09-16-2019 03:09 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
How long does CCC take to do a copy of like maybe half a terabytes ?

JFreak 09-16-2019 03:53 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyduck (Post 2538201)
How long does CCC take to do a copy of like maybe half a terabytes ?

How long does it take for you to read a book, say maybe few hundred pages?

Seriously, it is not about CCC but your drives' performance. If they stream 10MB/sec or 100MB/sec or 1000MB/sec makes a huge difference.

mightyduck 09-16-2019 03:59 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak
it is not about CCC but your drives' performance.


Thunderbolt 3.

So I am not really keen on partitioning the Lacie while the Time Machine backup is on it. If I understand correctly, ccc will just create a folder in the remaining space on the Lacie and it will clone to that folder. O

Or do I have to create a folder first, and then use that folder as the "destination"?



Best,

mightduck

JFreak 09-16-2019 05:01 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyduck (Post 2538207)
Thunderbolt 3

That also tells me about transfer rate of your storage just as much as having two eyes tells me the speed of your reading

Go to App Store and download (free) Blackmagic Disk Speed Test and then tell me the MB/s of your source and destination drives. If you cannot do the math I can help you with it.

mightyduck 09-16-2019 05:36 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
O.K. but I don't need to know to the minute. Just whether is a day or a couple hours or what, roughly for Thunderbolt 3.

JFreak 09-16-2019 05:46 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
If it's 100MB/s read and write on both ends, backing up half a terabyte takes roughly hour and a half.
If both drives are 1000MB/s fast SSD's then about ten minutes.
If the performance is from 90's (10MB/s) then it will take +12hrs

You tell me how long it will take once you have that speed test installed. By default it tests your boot drive, but you can set it up to run the test on your external. TB3 has little to do with it. All we can say it will not be a bottleneck. It is the performance of your storage that counts.

Darryl Ramm 09-16-2019 10:33 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Lots does not seem good here. You only have one backup drive. You are suggesting trying out a new backup tool to the same drive... the danger of you destroying all your backups by making a finger mistake is real. (The most common cause of lost data is user error, not drive or other failure).

How big is the internal SSD? Go buy at least two external 7200 RPM drives that are at least a TB larger than the internal drive.. (that lets CCC keep deleted files in future). You can use a fast external SSD like a Samsung X5 if performance is critical (including performance as in you can boot off the clone and just get full work done), HDD are lower cost a better choice if you want to maintain longer term archives.

The questions about performance: It largely depends on the drive, but there is CCC overhead. I can backup a 2TB internal NVMe SSD to an external Samsung X5 Thunderbolt 3 NVMe SSD in about 40 minutes. A HDD might be several times slower. Add more time to carefully test clones work, are bootable etc. Why is any of this important? If you are in a rush to try creating a new backup on the same drive as time machine to rush to get to an Apple store appointment, that is a huge risk. Reschedule the appointment and get yourself organized.

If your premise is you have all sessions backed up and can live with receiving a erased computer back from Apple, then that is your choice. Hopefully you have time machine working correctly and understand how to recover sessions and/or user accounts using it and are OK living with the risk of having only one physical backup. ... I would not be doing anything like that.

You are asking about protecting other licenses.... again we cannot guess what you have. If your licenses are all on iLok keys then there is no license data to back up.

Darryl Ramm 09-16-2019 10:42 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyduck (Post 2538218)
O.K. but I don't need to know to the minute. Just whether is a day or a couple hours or what, roughly for Thunderbolt 3.

“Thunderbolt 3” tells us nothing that useful. Does that drive have a slow 4,800 rpm disk inside it or a NVNe SSD? Raw performance on these drives can differs by more than an order of magnitude.

And how large is the drive you are backing up 1TB? 2TB? 4TB?

You can start with an assumption of 1hr - 1.5 hr per TB (used capacity) for a decent HDD and just try and see.

Darryl Ramm 09-16-2019 10:53 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
One of the whole points of cloning a drive is to get a bootable clone... that you can then test by booting off, testing is all important here. And this can make recovery as simple as just booting off that clone (but that may need a fast SSD external drive to give you the similar performance as the internal SSD).

This is impossible without creating partitions, and your Mac has multiple hidden partitions, you likely want all those cloned as well... to partitions on the clone drive. So do it right and get new external drives to clone to, at least two.

mightyduck 09-16-2019 07:13 PM

Macbook Pro backup before repair.1
 
I downloaded a copy of carbon copy cloner.

I went and bought a "rugged" Lacie 2TB USBc drive. It says "up to 125 MB/s. I'm not going to go buy 9 extra SS drives and do bunch of testing and busy work. I have a good Time Machine backup, and I can [hopefully] do a ccc backup onto the virgin Lacie drive [which, tbh, I am not even sure is really necessary].

I stopped by the repair center, they were going to charge me for a backup, so I figured I'll buy a drive and do it myself for the same money. Maybe I can do this tonite and bring them the computer tomorrow. But I am not trying to make this a never-ending project.

Someone said something about duplicating the partitioning onto the backup drive. Is the Lacie drive problematic in any way? Does it need to be specially partitioned or something? Let me know if there are any steps to be taken.

My Mom is in the hospital, so I am doing this while handling a bunch of other stuff too. Don't fight over stupid stuff, and don't turn this thread into a sh*tstorm, please.

Or point me to a forum where I can get this squared away. Take it easy.


Best,

mightduck

Darryl Ramm 09-16-2019 07:36 PM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair.1
 
Start by ejecting/disconnect the external drive you have time machine backups on (that avoids any horrible mistakes). Connect the new Lacie drive.

Look at that drive in Disk Utility. It's probably formatted as HFS+ (Apple Extended...) On a modern systems just needing to restore to your MBP I would convert that to APFS... several reasons why that I'll spare you.

In Disk utility, *before* you use the drive.

Select the External Drive (BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO SELECT THE INTERNAL DRIVE) > Click Erase > from the drop-down menu button select "APFS"

Click Apply

Then just run CCC. Create a new task in CCC with source your internal drive usually "Macintosh HD" and Destination the new external Lacie. Leave "Copy All Files" selected and "SafteyNet On" (for best safety with future incremental backups)

When CCC finishes, reboot your mac, holding down the option key while it is rebooting and choose to boot off that external drive. Check it boots and everything works. Shutdown the Mac, unplug the external drive, put it somewhere safe.

If you need to do this or not, that's up to you. I would so you have a separate boot backup outside of Timemachine. If you need to recover this will be much faster, and it's a good thing to be doing in general.

If you have a specific question on how to do something with CCC then ask, it's too much to go though how to use the whole thing, and CCC bombards you with more excessive popup help than you will likely want or need.

mightyduck 09-16-2019 07:44 PM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair.1
 
Thanks. Iíll try to get back to house in couple hours and try. Any other non-fighting comments welcome. I may have a couple questions but it seems pretty straightforward.

Sardi 09-16-2019 08:34 PM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair.1
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyduck (Post 2538315)
Thanks. Iíll try to get back to house in couple hours and try. Any other non-fighting comments welcome. I may have a couple questions but it seems pretty straightforward.



I gave you the simple straight forward answers and instructions in your other thread. It really doesnít need to be more complicated than that.

FYI - you canít format or initialise the drive your booted from. You can add a secondary partition, but that wonít affect the boot partition. IOW - you canít accidentally format the drive your running from.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DigiTechSupt 09-16-2019 10:01 PM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Insults and cursing removed, threads merged and opened, back on track. If you want to participate in the conversation or help the OP please do, but please respect the Terms of Use. Thank you.

mightyduck 09-16-2019 10:10 PM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Ha, cleanup has been through and tidied up a bit, I see. Swift, and very precise, I must say.

Some info, however, is missing now.

Someone said something about duplicating the origin drive's hidden partitioning onto the backup drive. Is that a thing?

So, just to make sure I'm clear, is the Lacie drive formatted as Daryl Ramm suggested going to be problematic in any way? Does it need to be specially partitioned or something? Let me know if there are any steps to be taken.


Best,

mightduck

Darryl Ramm 09-16-2019 10:20 PM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyduck (Post 2538325)
Ha, cleanup has been through and tidied up a bit, I see. Swift, I must say.

Some info, however, is missing now.

Someone said something about duplicating the origin drive's hidden partitioning onto the backup drive. Is that a thing?

So, just to make sure I'm clear, is the Lacie drive formatted as Daryl Ramm suggested going to be problematic in any way? Does it need to be specially partitioned or something? Let me know if there are any steps to be taken.


Best,

mightduck

Yes I said that before. But for now lets keep things simpler, I would just do what I said in the directions in a recent post.

See this. https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/cloning-...y-hd-partition and https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/frequent...y-hd-partition

I think it's nice to have that there in case you every have to boot and recover to a totally empty disk. Find yourself totally screwed for some other reason, and need to revert to recovery, you can run recovery off the clone. It may be a level of paranoia that is NOT needed for what you are doing now... if Apple replaces the motherboard they will image it's SSD with Mojave and *will* give you a recovery partition.

OTOH I have seen people end up with some very sad recovery messes when things went badly south and they did not even have a usable recovery partition anywhere... so worth reading about for later backups.

BTW also worth reading about later is APFS containers... can be a little confusing when first met, but more flexible that traditional partitions. And one reason to use modern APFS.

mightyduck 09-16-2019 10:38 PM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2538326)
Yes I said that before. But for now lets keep things simpler, I would just do what I said in the directions in a recent post.

See this. https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/cloning-...y-hd-partition

I think it's nice to have that there in case you every have to boot and recover to a totally empty disk. Find yourself totally screwed for some other reason, and need to revert to recovery, you can run recovery off the clone. It may be a level of paranoia that is NOT needed for what you are doing now... if Apple replaces the motherboard they will image it's SSD with Mojave and *will* give you a recovery partition.

OTOH I have seen people end up with some very sad recovery messes when things went badly south and they did not even have a usable recovery partition anywhere... so worth reading about for later backups.

BTW also worth reading about later is APFS containers... can be a little confusing when first met, but more flexible that traditional partitions. And one reason to use modern APFS.

So, disk utility shows. APPLE SSD SM20 > Container disk1 > Macintosh HD. Are those the partitions you are talking about?

Not sure I understand all you were saying there. Anyhow, this computer is currently running High Sierra, not Mojave, fwiw.

Following your "simplified directions", is ccc going to just clone the "Macintosh HD" partition?

Darryl Ramm 09-16-2019 10:44 PM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
That's containers, and it's fine. You don't need to worry about the details now. But read about later so you understand what it's all about.

Yes following those instructions it will clone your boot hard drive "partition" (which well is actually a container... but you don't need to worry about any of that now).

mightyduck 09-16-2019 10:47 PM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Weelll, maybe I understand a little better than previously thought, or not. But, from what I read, ccc makes a disk image of the hidden recovery partition when it clones the drive, right?

What's it gonna be named on the new Lacie drive?

Darryl Ramm 09-16-2019 10:51 PM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Oh yes you are correct. Sorry I'm running on fumes and don't have my mac with me. You will be able to look at the clone disk with Disk Utility and see. But for your immediate needs what is important is to boot off the clone you make and make sure stuff runs... that's a part of the magic of backing up using CCC/clones.

mightyduck 09-16-2019 10:59 PM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
The Lacie Rugged drive [top level] says GUID partition map.

The Lacie Drive [next level] says ExFAT.

Which one do I format?

Darryl Ramm 09-16-2019 11:08 PM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyduck (Post 2538332)
The Lacie Rugged drive [top level] says GUID partition map.

The Lacie Drive [next level] says ExFAT.

Which one do I format?

I would pick on the top level one.... you are blowing evethign away, and it will create the container structure for you and put a APFS volume within that.

You are looking for something like this... in the erase dialog panel.

mightyduck 09-17-2019 12:18 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2538333)
I would pick on the top level one.... you are blowing evethign away, and it will create the container structure for you and put a APFS volume within that.

You are looking for something like this... in the erase dialog panel.

Thanks, man. Any reason not to format the clone drive? Itís 2 TB and the drive I am cloning only has about half a terabyte on it.

Darryl Ramm 09-17-2019 12:51 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyduck (Post 2538336)
Thanks, man. Any reason not to format the clone drive? Itís 2 TB and the drive I am cloning only has about half a terabyte on it.

Not that I can think of. You want to do this. exFAT is not going to help you. But to be clear... for all I know CCC may automatically want to create an APFS container if it sees exFAT on the drive... I'm not sure exactly what it will do in that case but I just wanted to make sure you got started from an ideal starting position.

Having a clone drive larger than the drive you are cloning is very good. With CCC set up how I said it will never delete stuff on the clone drive, even if you delete it on the MBP and then make a CCC update... so the clone will keep slowly growing in size, with stuff you have deleted hidden away out of sight, will never get smaller until it gets near running out of space and then CCC may prune old deleted stuff. Even with all that extra stuff hidden there the clone will still boot and be usable as if it was the original drive.

As with previous HFS+ you can live change the "partition" sizes on a disk later on if you want to, e.g. add another partition for other purposes etc. But with containers you can do other party tricks. It uses over provisioning.... so that multiple partitions can be bigger than they initially consume on disk, and they all share the same free space so you don't need to worry about getting partitions perfectly sized ahead of time.

mightyduck 09-17-2019 01:46 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Thanks. I meant to say "is there any reason not to partition the clone drive?".

JFreak 09-17-2019 12:00 PM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
APFS changes that a bit. You can create a "container" that may grow to a terabyte but only consume a gigabyte to begin with

mightyduck 09-17-2019 11:53 PM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2538388)
APFS changes that a bit. You can create a "container" that may grow to a terabyte but only consume a gigabyte to begin with

It didn’t format as APFS for some reason, although I chose that. It formatted as Mac OS Extened (journaled). That is apparently the recommendation for spinning platter disks, although it says either are acceptable. But it won’t partition.

The backup works as a boot volume, though. But when it’s mounted not as boot volume , the applications don’t appear. I’m not sure what’s going on with it.

I know that I was trying to not blow away an entire 2 TB drive for a 500Gig backup.

Any ideas on how to do it again? I was choosing APFS and trying to partition before running ccc, it wouldn’t do it, so I figured I would just format it APFS, make the clone, and then add a volume, but it somehow turned into MacOS Extended (journaled) and it won’t partition. The “hidden” volume is there, though, btw.

Darryl Ramm 09-18-2019 12:29 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Quote:

I know that I was trying to not blow away an entire 2 TB drive for a 500Gig backup.
What does that comment mean? What *exactly* did you do? Why are you worried about the size of the disk and partitions? As I've said several times you can change all that later. Please stop asking about partitions and partition sizes and either do what is suggested or tell us *exactly* what you have done. What exactly is on that clone drive now? Can you post a screenshot of Disk Utility showing all the drive containers/partitions.

What I wanted you to do is get a APFS partition on the drive. If you ended up with HFS+ it's no big deal. I am fully aware of all the different recommendations for what filesystems to use for what.

No Applications. What *exactly* does that mean? You Have to explain stuff to us clearly.

What exact Applications do not appear and how exactly do they not appear. Where/how are you looking at stuff? Are you looking in /Applications in the Finder? Using Terminal? Talking about applications appearing in the Dock? On the desktop?

In Terminal.app (do you have Terminal.app?) while booted from the clone type the following commands and paste the output here.

mount

ls -l /Application

Could you log in OK as the same user when booted off the clone drive as when booted off the internal drive? Or did it look like you were doing a clean macOS install setup?

mightyduck 09-18-2019 01:30 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
More angry / aggressive response from you, man. ^^^ Its unnecessary. If you read what I wrote pretty much all your "questions" would be answered. You are kind of shooting from the hip.

FWIW, you appear to have been wrong about a few things, although your presentation makes it look as though you believe you could not be.

Anyhow:


Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2538455)
What does that comment mean? What *exactly* did you do?

It means I do not want the entire 2TB dedicated to one small backup. That should be pretty easy to understand.

I did "exactly" what you said to do, to the extent that it was possible to do it.

Quote:

As I've said several times you can change all that later.
Well, apparently not.

Quote:

Please stop asking about partitions and partition sizes and either do what is suggested or tell us *exactly* what you have done. What exactly is on that clone drive now? Can you post a screenshot of Disk Utility showing all the drive containers/partitions.
Please stop being a hot head and trying to order me around. Maybe let some of the other cooler heads jump in and help. You fought with everybody before the thread was locked, and it looks like you are set to go at it again. I see this as a constant on this forum. You getting overbearing. "Scolding" people, disrespectfully, for allegedly not providing "proper information" for your "analysis". Enough. Not saying you don't provide information, btw, so that's good, and more than some do, but its the "tone" and the "I'm running the show" vibe.

Quote:

What I wanted you to do is get a APFS partition on the drive. If you ended up with HFS+ it's no big deal. I am fully aware of all the different recommendations for what filesystems to use for what.
. Yeah, right.

Quote:

No Applications. What *exactly* does that mean? You Have to explain stuff to us clearly.
I think what I wrote it very clear. You are having a hard time understanding perhaps.

Quote:

What exact Applications do not appear and how exactly do they not appear. Where/how are you looking at stuff? Are you looking in /Applications in the Finder? Using Terminal? Talking about applications appearing in the Dock? On the desktop?
Enough with the b.s. minutia

Quote:

In Terminal.app (do you have Terminal.app?) while booted from the clone type the following commands and paste the output here.

mount

ls -l /Application

Could you log in OK as the same user when booted off the clone drive as when booted off the internal drive? Or did it look like you were doing a clean macOS install setup?
Don't worry about it, man. If no one else wants to help because you are monopolizing the thread, then I will try a different forum. I have a working clone drive, its just weird that it won't format as APFS, or allow partitioning.

Amybody else? JFreak? Sardi?

JFreak 09-18-2019 02:28 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
I think you need to format the whole drive as APFS to begin with, then you have the master container which can have several other APFS containers in it. It is just the same as partitioning, but APFS has introduced new terminology which causes confusion.

Also very confusing you can have a dozen 2TB containers (partitions) on 2TB APFS drive, as long as the used space combined fits in the master container; it is shared among all of its volumes.

Just try formatting it again, perhaps there is some fluke that requires you to "erase" your existing partition before you succeed to format APFS.

mightyduck 09-18-2019 04:24 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2538464)
I think you need to format the whole drive as APFS to begin with, then you have the master container which can have several other APFS containers in it. It is just the same as partitioning, but APFS has introduced new terminology which causes confusion.

Also very confusing you can have a dozen 2TB containers (partitions) on 2TB APFS drive, as long as the used space combined fits in the master container; it is shared among all of its volumes.

Just try formatting it again, perhaps there is some fluke that requires you to "erase" your existing partition before you succeed to format APFS.

Well, weirdly, I did format the drive as APFS to begin with. I mean that's what I chose in the options. I did it right, but it turned into something else. I did it several times and it would never let me "partition" it, nor did it give the dialogue box for adding a new APFS volume.

When erasing / formatting I chose APFS and GUID partition map. That's consistent with the internal disk.

This has me annoyed and / or amused, so I'm actually going to erase the drive and do it again to see if I missed something.

JFreak 09-18-2019 04:33 AM

Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair
 
If it is APFS already, things should be pretty straight-forward. If it is something else, like HFS+ that's what I meant. Don't remember what I was doing wrong but one time I was multitasking too much and had some trouble formatting APFS the first time. Strange things happen when you don't pay attention.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:58 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com