Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   HD Native Thunderbolt and SSL Deltalink (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=389415)

coffeeman 03-07-2017 06:35 AM

HD Native Thunderbolt and SSL Deltalink

Hi all, I am having issues trying to get Pro Tools 12.7.1 (MAC) to connect to an SSL Delta Link via my HD Native Thunderbolt. This is the first time I am trying to use this option as before I always used the HD Omni and Apogee Symphony on the primary and secondary ports of my Thunderbolt. But now I would like to use another MADI based converter but I cannot get Pro Tools to recognize the SSL Delta link. What I would like to know is (1) it possible to use the Delta link only on the secondary port only of the Thunderbolt? (2) if not, can I run the Delta Link on its own with the Thunderbolt (and leave out the HD Omni) because that does not seem to work either ... but perhaps the one cable is too long for the SSL Deltalink?

Thanks for any assistance.

Cheers
Craig

lancemcv 03-11-2017 10:53 AM

Re: HD Native Thunderbolt and SSL Deltalink

The Delta link has to be connector to both digilink ports to get 64 channels, not sure if there is a driver for it to work with pro tools. I would just connect it first with nothing else and both ports to both digilinks on the thunderbolt box to see if its working correctly. Then you can try to ad an omni.
I use the AVID HD Madi, but a friend uses the SSL Delta Link with pro tools native and it works fine. but if you connect any other interfaces with the madi you will loose 16 channels of MADI even if its just the Omni.
Here is a quick video and it shows what ports are connected MADI and OMNI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqxowbL8R4w

Everyone said this could not be done by the way when I first set out to do it.
But I can't remember as to which connection goes where as its been over a year and they do have to be in the correct order. I think the SSL Main port goes to 1-32 to digilink port 1 then the SSL goes out of port 2 to the omni expansion port and the omni main port goes to the second digilink on the HD Native thunderbolt but I may be wrong. It only works when wired in the correct order you may have to play around and delete all your IO settings and hit default.

Eric Seaberg 03-11-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancemcv (Post 2417654)
The Delta link has to be connector to both digilink ports to get 64 channels

I don't think that's true... you should be able to get 32-channels on a single port. Are you sending it WordClock and have you looked at the manual to confirm settings of the 'soft' switches for channel prefs?

I'm running two Delta Links with an SSL C200 console on HDX2 for 128-channels and it's flawless... been working for over 8-years.

You can always send an email to SSL support.

coffeeman 03-12-2017 04:00 AM

Hi Lance and Eric

Thanks a million for your feedback and help, it is greatly appreciated :D . I will certainly watch the youtube video and then will test all the options and hopefully I get the max out of the SSL Delta link.

Cheers
Craig

coffeeman 03-12-2017 04:28 AM

Hi Eric,
yes I am sending it wordclock but the SSL Deltalink does not recognize the wordclock - it flashes red slowly which means it sees a word clock signal but it is the wrong signal. I have check all the settings in Pro Tools and on the master clock and everything is set correctly.

When you talk about the channel soft switches, you mean in Pro tools? If that is the case the problem is that Pro Tools will not start because it cannot see the SSL Delta Link connected. The one cable I have is over around 13' and I think this is where the problem is because the SSL can 'apparently' only work on digilink cables up to 12'. Tomorrow another short cable will arrive and then I will redo all the tests but at least I know that the system should work.

Thanks again,

Cheers
Craig

Eric Seaberg 03-12-2017 06:45 PM

YES!! Cable length is an issue. SSL recommends no more than 18" for 192k, 35" for 96k and 70" for 48k. You MUST get shorter DigiLink cables if possible... you didn't say if MADI or DigiLink was 13'.

Our truck is using MADI over fiber optics, and length between the console and DeltaLink isn't an issue there... the problem is ONLY with the cables between the DeltaLink and your Native card.

Hope this helps.

BTW, DeltaLink manual at:

http://sslweb.solidstatelogic.com.s3...nk_MADI_HD.pdf

Start at page 17 for info on setting up with ProTools. There are specific settings you need to have to the card to see it correctly.

Good luck!!

coffeeman 03-13-2017 02:25 AM

Yes Eric I was talking about the Digilink cable being 13'. Thanks a lot for your greatly appreciated assistance and I will let you know how things go after I do the tests with the short Digilink cables.

Cheers.

Eric Seaberg 03-13-2017 08:55 PM

The cables that came with the DeltaLink are 18" in length. We typically run at 48K but our console will do 96k, too, so we decided to keep the short cables.

coffeeman 03-16-2017 05:11 AM

Hi Lance and Eric, I finally managed to get the SSL Delta Link to work with Pro Tools 12.7.1 via the HD Native Thunderbolt. The issues were (1) length of the Digilink Cable and (2) the fact that my Delta Link only had version 1.37 of the firmware. I had to find an old 32 bit based computer to upgrade the firmware to version 2 (latest version) and then it finally worked. With both Digilink outputs connected it seems that I have the ability to run my full complement of I/O, that is 16 analog in and out and 16 digital in and out.

Thanks once again for your assistance. Hopefully, if someone has a similar issue in the future, they will benefit from this post.

Cheers.

Eric Seaberg 03-16-2017 05:32 PM

Glad you got it to work!!