Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Avid importing .wav files wrong length. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398835)

rhumphries 04-23-2018 11:43 AM

Avid importing .wav files wrong length.

I have a client running AVID v8.9.3. When they import a .wav file that I've output, it appears to be one frame long on import. (it's a 15 second commercial).

This does not appear to be the case if I send an .AIF.

I've imported the .wav file into several other programs on my end (Wave Agent, Izotope RX, Davinci Resolve) and the .wav file appears to be the correct length (though the start TC is 1 frame early for some reason).

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Frank Kruse 04-23-2018 12:09 PM

Re: Avid importing .wav files wrong length.

Did you create the WAV on the frame-grid in PT or is it just over a frame border long? The AVID will compensate that by adding samples with digital zero audio up to the next full frame so it can work with the file correctly.

Frank.

rhumphries 04-23-2018 12:46 PM

That's good to know. I was in grid mode, but used the quicktime as a reference to set the in/out point. It should be the same thing, since the video rests on the frame boundaries.

And checking by manually setting the in and out point and then comparing sample length (within protools) verifies that the length of the file I output is correct.

Why Avid would treat an aif differently from a .wav is a mystery to me. I think it's an Avid bug.

Frank Kruse 04-23-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhumphries (Post 2485920)
That's good to know. I was in grid mode, but used the quicktime as a reference to set the in/out point. It should be the same thing, since the video rests on the frame boundaries.

And checking by manually setting the in and out point and then comparing sample length (within protools) verifies that the length of the file I output is correct.

Why Avid would treat an aif differently from a .wav is a mystery to me. I think it's an Avid bug.

Yeah, it sounds weird. Especially the fact that the time-stamp shows one frame early in WaveAgent is suspicious. That tool is normally accurate. Is the length in WA and PT identical?

Is this a project with a US-centric frame rate or straight 24.00 or 25.00fps?

Frank.

rhumphries 04-23-2018 02:25 PM

It's 29.97 DropFrame.

laki 04-27-2018 07:04 PM

Is your starting timecode 00:00:00:00?

We’ve had similar issues sending to Media Composer with a zero timecode start. We just moved everything to 1hr and no more issues.

I can’t be specific about the issue we were having (because it was some time ago) but it did involve an added or dropped frame.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kris.audioplanet 07-11-2018 03:44 AM

I just had the same thing happen. A 53 minute file bounced in Digital Performer at 48kHz drag and dropped onto Pro Tools 2018.4 also at 48kHz. Changed length to 57 minutes and played slower and distorted. If imported via import audio menu it offered to convert the file and subsequently played it ok.

V5V 07-11-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris.audioplanet (Post 2493808)
I just had the same thing happen. A 53 minute file bounced in Digital Performer at 48kHz drag and dropped onto Pro Tools 2018.4 also at 48kHz. Changed length to 57 minutes and played slower and distorted. If imported via import audio menu it offered to convert the file and subsequently played it ok.

That sounds like a case of DP outputting the file with incorrect header data. If the header misreports that it's a 44.1 file, dropping it into a 48K session would stretch it out to about 57.6 minutes.

kris.audioplanet 07-12-2018 04:33 AM

Yet all the other editors see it correctly..

Scott G 07-12-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V5V (Post 2493850)
That sounds like a case of DP outputting the file with incorrect header data. If the header misreports that it's a 44.1 file, dropping it into a 48K session would stretch it out to about 57.6 minutes.

Is there a way to edit the header data to correct it?