Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Focusrite Saffire 56 with PT9 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=287410)

Meads 11-17-2010 07:39 AM

Focusrite Saffire 56 with PT9

I'm waiting for my boxed version of PT9 to be delivered, and was looking for an interface to replace my MBox2 Mini.
The Saffire 56 caught my attention and I'm wondering, if any of you guys already tried it. Is it a good choice, or would you recommend something else in the range up to 1k?
I don't really need that many ins and outs (mostly working in post doing sound design and mixing), but since I didn't find any else on my own, that appealed to me, I guess it's not a bad thing having the connectivity option.

Appreciate your input! :-)

rickthestick 11-17-2010 10:28 AM

Re: Focusrite Saffire 56 with PT9

Mine is on it's way here as we type. I've watched the Liquid Pre's for years and now I can afford one, or two acually. In this price range I think it's the best option out there.
...and in January: http://www.focusrite.com/community/N...cusrite_ready__

Meads 11-17-2010 10:31 AM

Wow! That sounds a little bit like sex... in a way. :D
Thanks, it's ordered.

Dax Productions 11-17-2010 02:34 PM

Don't know about the 56, but I just picked up a used 26 io for super cheap and it works PERFECT with PT9. Can only assume the 56 would too. And they just released an rtas plugin that lets you control preamps and stuff on the newer Focusrite interfaces!!

BigMetal 11-18-2010 02:12 PM

I snagged a Saffire 56 a few days ago and am in the process of building a new computer to run PT9. I've been running PT7 via an 002r for a long time... I was about to get a 003r and upgrade to 8, but announced PT9 and i decided to take a leap of faith.

The potential to record 26 tracks at a time is awesome... now I won't have to worry about the logistics of recording a huge drum kit or bands that want to play live.

Hopefully I'll have it up and running this weekend.

Meads 11-18-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMetal (Post 1705929)
I snagged a Saffire 56 a few days ago and am in the process of building a new computer to run PT9. I've been running PT7 via an 002r for a long time... I was about to get a 003r and upgrade to 8, but announced PT9 and i decided to take a leap of faith.

The potential to record 26 tracks at a time is awesome... now I won't have to worry about the logistics of recording a huge drum kit or bands that want to play live.

Hopefully I'll have it up and running this weekend.

It'd be great if you could give me a heads up when you hooked it up and spinned it a little.
I already ordered it, so it's too late to puss out anyways, but it will take until end of next week until I have time to setup everything.
Thanks and godspeed!

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

BigMetal 11-18-2010 02:44 PM

hopefully my PC Build will go smooth and i won't have any compatibily issues... the one thing i'm concerned about is my choice of video card... i think everything else will be fine.

CPU: Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
MOBO: Intel Extreme Series BOXDX58SO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX
RAM: 8 GB of Corsair XMS
VGA: MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460

Still need to pic up another firewire card as i'm trying to leave my other machine intact since i'm in the middle of two projects...

I'll definitely let you know how it goes. I'll be on here begging for help! :D

Meads 11-18-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMetal (Post 1705945)
hopefully my PC Build will go smooth and i won't have any compatibily issues... the one thing i'm concerned about is my choice of video card... i think everything else will be fine.

CPU: Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
MOBO: Intel Extreme Series BOXDX58SO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX
RAM: 8 GB of Corsair XMS
VGA: MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460

Still need to pic up another firewire card as i'm trying to leave my other machine intact since i'm in the middle of two projects...

I'll definitely let you know how it goes. I'll be on here begging for help! :D

If the 56 runs into problems with PT, you found yourself a companion in mourning. :D
But I don't expect any trouble, since Focusrite launched adds about how great the saffire series works with PT9.
Can't give you a clue about your system, though. But I'll cross fingers!

Hotcrazyfruit 11-18-2010 04:10 PM

I would almost go for the TC electronics Studio Konnekt 48. 4 pres on the front. Some nice metering.

4 front pres (and DI's)
8 line ines on the back
ADAT SMUX
XLR monitor outs
1 rack space

Same price :D

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KonnektStu48

Meads 11-18-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotcrazyfruit (Post 1706010)
Same price :D

Nope, I got a new Saffire 56 for 650 Euros, which is about 887USD. :-)