Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Tempo Events producing digital cracks (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=206419)

filosofem 09-29-2007 06:51 PM

Tempo Events producing digital cracks

Greetings All/Digi

I've linked this short video ScreenCast to demonstrate this, the audio is for soundscapes and is not meant to be pretty, hint, hint.

This isn't the first time this has happened and in fact I've produced mixed results trying to recreate this issue with Xpand! and Hybrid on a number of occasions.

You'll see that the Linearity Display Mode is set to Linear Tick, but I can assure you that the same results are produced with Linear Sample as well.

The EQ is deliberate to serve as clarity.

Edit: Video fixed.

filosofem

filosofem 09-30-2007 02:44 AM

Re: Tempo Events producing digital cracks

Is anybody having trouble streaming this video?

filosofem

scottedog 09-30-2007 08:56 AM

No problem streaming the video & I can hear the synth at the end but (dense as I am sometimes)I'm not clear on what's going on. Can you elaborate a bit?

filosofem 09-30-2007 06:48 PM

That's good, Scott, cause it's playing up this end - audio out of sync with picture.

What we have here is a classic Pulse LFO modulation driven by the sessions tempo map, this is plain to hear, however, due to the incremental rate of the tempo map (fluidity), Hybrid's producing this digital crackling at roughly each step until the bpm stops rising. The audio recording is riddled with this until 160 bpm in this case is reached where the bpm rate levels out and the crackling stops as shown and heard in the video, hopefully.

Scott can you or anybody else recreate this?

Digi - this is un-workable!

filosofem

scottedog 09-30-2007 08:14 PM

filo,

I don't have Hybrid but I tried it with Xpand-didn't hear any crackling. I wasn't however able to get the tempo increments to line up to the grid no matter what.
I used the pencil tool in straight line configuration set to eighth notes, drew in my tempo increase and it was always longer than an eighth note, not much but never lined up to the grid.
If that is somehow related or not is beyond my poor guitarists brain.
No crackling tho.

filosofem 09-30-2007 09:04 PM

Hey thanks Scott! Question, can you hear the crackling in the video?

I can reproduce this with Xpand!. Here's the setup:

*New Session - 24/44.1 7.3.1 cs4 Windows-based.
*Stereo Instrument track.
*Xpand! 01 Soft Pads 01 Sweepscape. (01 Soft Pad 03 Square Pad - Is the best result thus far).
*Linearity Display Mode - Linear Ticks.
*Graphic Tempo Editor.
*Tempo Resolution - 1/4 Note.
*Tempo Edit Density - 1/16 Note.
*Event>MIDI Events List.
*Insert Note - Start 1/1/000 Event C3 Length 33/0/000.
*Event>Tempo>Operations Window>Linear and check Advanced.
*Start 1/1/000 End 33/1/000
*Tempo 120 - 260
*Apply
*Play

Crackle... crackle... crackle...

filosofem

scottedog 09-30-2007 10:51 PM

Okay...

Can definitely hear it in the video and I was able to reproduce it, crackling away. Stops when the tempo evens out.
I guess that's good that it's not your set up but bad that it's happening.

I didn't have my resolution for the tempo grid set up right last time, that's why it wouldn't line up properly for me. Learned something new, thanks!

filosofem 10-01-2007 12:08 AM

Thanks for the confirmation Scott. Greatly appreciated.

Edit: Bug Report Submitted.

filosofem

KungFuLio 04-23-2013 12:06 AM

sorry to dredge up an old thread, but it seems as if this has yet to be resolved. no?