Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Does the HD Native thunderbolt work with Windows? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=401213)

JCBigler 09-24-2018 04:07 PM

Does the HD Native thunderbolt work with Windows?

Does the HD Native Thunderbolt box work with Windows? On a PC with a Thunderbolt 3 port using one of the TB3 to TB2 adapters, like the Apple adapter.

Or do you need to use the PCI card for HD Native on Windows?

albee1952 09-24-2018 06:15 PM

Re: Does the HD Native thunderbolt work with Windows?

Pretty sure it does as I remember a protoolsexpert.com video showing a Windows laptop with TB using the Avid box very nicely. You might also shoot an email to guitardom as the Pro-Tools-PC.com website offers TB as an option so I bet he has tested it:o

Brandonx1 10-12-2018 02:57 PM

yes native thunderbolt works on windows but some systems have a secure boot option that needs to be disabled. FYI Native thunderbolt on windows isn't officially supported by Avid.

JCBigler 10-15-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandonx1 (Post 2502555)
FYI Native thunderbolt on windows isn't officially supported by Avid.

Well, it's a good thing Avid discontinued the PCIe version of the HD Native card. :rolleyes:

Dusan 12-06-2018 07:28 AM

HD Native works with Thunderbolt on Windows, but only if you have Pro Tools HD licence on your iLok AND Digilink I/O licence too.
It will not work with Digilink I/O licence on its own.

- I wanted to use HD Native with Omni as a Windows interface for other audio software, so I bought the Digilink I/O licence in addition to normal Pro Tools licence, but it only works if you also have a Pro Tools HD licence on the iLok.

So I have cancelled purchase of the Digilink I/O licence.

JCBigler 12-10-2018 02:08 PM

Updating this thread, to confirm, that yes, HD Native Thunderbolt DOES in fact work on Windows.

FINALLY, got my Focusrite Red 8Pre in today after being back ordered for a month. Hooked it up to my HD Native Thunderbolt box...had to reboot a few times. Protools didn't seem to want to play at first..but now it's running smooth as silk, at a 32 buffer also. :cool:

JCBigler 12-10-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusan (Post 2508335)
HD Native works with Thunderbolt on Windows, but only if you have Pro Tools HD licence on your iLok AND Digilink I/O licence too.
It will not work with Digilink I/O licence on its own.

- I wanted to use HD Native with Omni as a Windows interface for other audio software, so I bought the Digilink I/O licence in addition to normal Pro Tools licence, but it only works if you also have a Pro Tools HD licence on the iLok.

So I have cancelled purchase of the Digilink I/O licence.

Well...yeah, I knew all that before hand. What's the problem? :rolleyes:

Mishabou 12-21-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCBigler (Post 2508897)
Updating this thread, to confirm, that yes, HD Native Thunderbolt DOES in fact work on Windows.

FINALLY, got my Focusrite Red 8Pre in today after being back ordered for a month. Hooked it up to my HD Native Thunderbolt box...had to reboot a few times. Protools didn't seem to want to play at first..but now it's running smooth as silk, at a 32 buffer also. :cool:

How do you plug the Avid Thunderbolt box to you PC ? Thanks

JCBigler 12-21-2018 06:12 PM

I use the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter. My Lenovo P50 laptop has a TB3/USB-C port.

The Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter works great with my Focusrite Red 8Pre, Clarett 8Pre and the Avid HD Native Thunderbolt box.

Doesn't like to hot plug though, so I usually just shut down or power off the peripherals before unplugging the Apple TB3-TB2 adapter.

Mishabou 12-22-2018 09:56 PM

Just tried using Ultimate with a third party hardware (Rednet PCIe) instead of HD Native. It actually performs better at lower latency.

HD native is not needed unless you need more than 32 I/O.