Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   My Pro Tools LE DVD does not read (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=247214)

MikeyG 05-31-2009 10:26 PM

My Pro Tools LE DVD does not read

Hey guys,

Just bought an Mbox2 Factory package with Pro Tools LE and I've been struggling all day to try and fix this problem.

Basically the Pro Tool installer DVD doesn't read on my computer. I've tried both the "Audio Loops and Sounds" and "Pro Tools Software Installers" and neither provide any luck. The Training Video that comes with the Mbox2 works as do other CD and DVDs. I'm not sure what else to try.

I'll probably go to my friends place when he gets home from university in a few hours and try it on his mac, I have Windows XP Pro.

Hopefully someone else has had this problem and knows how to fix it. I'm worried that the actually DVD doesn't work.

Cheers,
MikeyG

TOM@METRO 05-31-2009 11:04 PM

Re: My Pro Tools LE DVD does not read

There have been some sketchy DVDs. You may have one.

sunburst79 06-01-2009 12:13 AM

Way on the outside but I have seen various combinations of Media4s XPlay, Mac Drive and HFS+ support either cause the drive not to read anything or to only read Mac files. Rebooting helps some time.

If you had say 7.4 installed with HFS+ support, Un installed it in preporation of upgrading and know you cant read the Windows Files on the DVD try reinstalling PT with the HFS+ option checked and see if you can read the windows files of the disk. If so you might want to copy them to your desktop and run the installer from there.

And Tom is correct there have been some flaky DVDs.

JMS40 06-01-2009 10:26 AM

Might also check for a firmware update for your DVD drive.

MikeyG 06-01-2009 09:56 PM

I took it to my friends place, and it works on his mac. I originally thought maybe it only had the Mac files on it. Will getting my friend to rip it and burn it onto another DVD work?

I don't have any other version of Pro Tools installed. I'm a Pro Tools virgin, a very eager one at that. So the sooner it fixes itself the sooner I'll be happy.

I'm hoping I don't just have a dodgy DVD.

Whats the story if I do have to send it back?

sunburst79 06-01-2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyG (Post 1406012)
I took it to my friends place, and it works on his mac. I originally thought maybe it only had the Mac files on it. Will getting my friend to rip it and burn it onto another DVD work?

I don't have any other version of Pro Tools installed. I'm a Pro Tools virgin, a very eager one at that. So the sooner it fixes itself the sooner I'll be happy.

I'm hoping I don't just have a dodgy DVD.

Whats the story if I do have to send it back?

A disk burned on a Mac should be fine if its a iso (Direct copy). If the Mac reads it I would suspect the disk is okay. If the Mac will read it you might try copying the Windows Installer to a thumb drive.

Another point would be does the PC have a DVD drive? One would presume so but I know a fairly prominent DUC member that was having issues installing PT 8.0 not realizing that the installer was a DVD now and no longer on a CD. He had to go buy a DVD drive.:-)

I would check with the computer manufacturer or drive maker and see if they offer a firmware update.

Sending it back would involve getting a hold of the Digi Store, Digi customer support or where ever you bought it.

MikeyG 06-02-2009 04:21 AM

I'm guessing its something to do with firmware or a program I have installed. I'll try updating my DVD drive and see what happens.

OK, so updating the firmware didn't work, it definitely is a DVD-R and I tried the disc on another laptop and it reads it fine.

Arg. I'm guessing its either my DVD player is broken in someway, even though it can read other DVD's (Maybe not multi layered?) or a program I have install hates Pro Tools

Might have to reformat.

sunburst79 06-02-2009 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyG (Post 1406070)
I'm guessing its something to do with firmware or a program I have installed. I'll try updating my DVD drive and see what happens.

OK, so updating the firmware didn't work, it definitely is a DVD-R and I tried the disc on another laptop and it reads it fine.

Arg. I'm guessing its either my DVD player is broken in someway, even though it can read other DVD's (Maybe not multi layered?) or a program I have install hates Pro Tools

Might have to reformat.

Well something hates the PT disk;). I wouldnt reformat but you might try uninstalling any burning programs like Nero, Roxio etc. or possibly other multimedia appsthat may have installed some type of driver. Can you beg or borrow A USB powered external drive from someone? that would be preferable to reformating.

RRRS 06-02-2009 07:08 AM

Why don't you just make an iso of the disk and use power iso or something like that and mount the image on your desktop.

1. Find a iso program and dl/purchase it. I do believe there are some free ones but i don't know the names of them. google might help here.
2. Make iso of the disk on pc or mac that reads it.
2. Use an external hard drive, large flash drive, or lan to transfer that file to your desktop.
3. Mount the disk to a virtual cd/dvd drive that will be created by your iso program.
4. Install pt

Hope it helps!

sw rec 06-02-2009 09:40 AM

Reformatting because of a dying DVD drive would be like swatting flies with a Howitzer. You can get a DVD drive for $30 just about anywhere (try www.mwave.com for starters)