Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Windows 10 Version 1803 Update - Hang in Protools (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=399244)

ric982 05-17-2018 12:17 AM

Windows 10 Version 1803 Update - Hang in Protools

Hi,
Windows 10 Version 1803 was installed on my computer on 5/14.

When I start protools now, it
- logs into avid account,
- loads plug-ins (waves)
- Flashes through several windows including one that says something like "Configuring Yamaha Steinberg driver,..."
- Hangs with the banner saying "Loading Plus-Ins: XPand!2"
and a small window with "Windows Installer / Preparing to install ..."

This seems to hang forever.
There is a cancel button. If I press it it says "Windows Installer/Canceling..."
and this seems to hang forever.
I can kill protools with the task manager and it goes away.
If I restart, same problem.

BTW - I can use Itunes to play music through my UR824 and if I check the driver in the control panel, it says it's up to date.

Any thoughts - others with same problem?

YYR123 05-17-2018 06:24 AM

Windows 10 Version 1803 Update - Hang in Protools

The best know practice is for you to not use your interface for your Windows Sound...don’t know if that’s causing a problem...

Can you manually download the xpand update?

Do you really even need the expand update?

You can always trash prefs and restart

DeadAgain 05-17-2018 07:05 AM

Re: Windows 10 Version 1803 Update - Hang in Protools

Hi Ric,

I had the same problem with my UR interface after installing 1803 ... hanging at the same point.

Everytime I tried to start Pro Tools, the startup triggered a windows installer for my audio card driver in the background that never finished and blocked the startup.

1. reboot your PC (just for cleaning up)
2. remove your audio driver for UR
3. reinstall the driver
4. boot up protools

That helped me.

Greetings
Alex

leftalive 05-17-2018 06:04 PM

This won't be of much use to OP, but fwiw to anyone else who happens upon this thread, it might be a good idea to hold off on 1803 for as long as possible. I have a friend here in town that builds systems for audio, and he's run into a few hiccups of his own.

There's also a (generally) great thread on Win10 over at GS, where one of the audio guys from Microsoft regularly chimes in, and there seem to be several reports of flaky behavior with 1803 over there as well. Be warned though - right now the thread is mostly 3 or 4 knuckleheads yelling at each other over forced updates.

guitardom 05-18-2018 08:32 AM

Its easy to just roll back to the previous build if you want to. I may be off here, but the backup of the previous "setup" stays on your system for about 2 weeks.

The Weed 05-18-2018 09:39 AM

Or you do the right thing and image regularly - and get guitardom's utility to stop Windows updates :o

ric982 05-18-2018 01:56 PM

Ok - so this is the OP.

1) First - Yamaha Steinberg is aware that Windows 10 1803 trashed their driver. I asked them if they were working with Microsoft to make sure that this does not happen on the 'next' update and he said they were. Not sure if that has any bearing on Version 1803.

2) I tried to uninstall the driver through Windows
Control Panel>Device Manager>Sound, video and game controllers>Steinberg UR824: Driver tab: Uninstall Device" and did not click the 'delete software' box. This is not the correct way to do this and led to (3).

(3) When I tried to use the Steinberg Tools for UR824 to reinstall driver software, it wouldn't let me select any software. So now driverless. After a somewhat long chat session with Steinberg USA, they gave me a support number to call and the person there was very helpful.

4) What we did was:
a) Windows Control Panel>Program and Features
Select Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver
Uninstall
b) Go to
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads.html
Click pull down on 'Downloads Hardware'
at bottom of list is:
Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver
- select and download that
- unzip and install

Now UR824 working OK.