Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Phantom cymbal (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406230)

Brightshine 09-06-2019 06:42 PM

Phantom cymbal

I’m using Superior Drummer 3 in Pro Tools 11. When playing back the midi data a phantom cymbal will play that is not in the midi data. It does not happen on each play. One playback it’s there, the next it’s gone.

Any idea what’s causing this?

Thanks!

Ben Jenssen 09-06-2019 07:11 PM

Re: Phantom cymbal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brightshine (Post 2537382)
I’m using Superior Drummer 3 in Pro Tools 11. When playing back the midi data a phantom cymbal will play that is not in the midi data. It does not happen on each play. One playback it’s there, the next it’s gone.

Any idea what’s causing this?

Thanks!

Any number of things can be the cause of this.
Have you installed any phantom cymbals lately?
Any pets around the vicinity of a midi input device?

I'm sorry, but this isn't much to go on.
Have you tried any troublshooting?
Google?

Brightshine 09-06-2019 08:34 PM

Ok. I recorded using my Roland TD 25k kit. Triggering Superior Drummer 3. The midi data is residing in Pro Tools 11. When I play back the midi part, at the same location, a cymbal will be triggered. Looking at the midi data, at that location, there is no midi data. But a cymbal can be heard, not every pass, but randomly. One pass I may hear it, the next pass I won’t hear it.

If I knew all I wouldn’t be asking on a forum site like this. You say there could be multiple reasons it could be happening. Name a few and I will see what I can find out.

Thanks

amagras 09-06-2019 08:39 PM

hidden track sending MIDI to SD?

BScout 09-06-2019 09:00 PM

Simple as a bad sample. One of the edited sample clips in Superior Drummer 3 must have a cymbal in it and they should have removed that sample. Wouldn't be the first time sample libraries missed a bad sample. If you can find the bad sample, many sample playback engines allow you to remove it from being played/mapped. I can't tell if you can do this in Superior Drummer but since you can import your own samples, it should be possible.

If there are options for "round robin" or randomized sample playback, turn them off so the same samples trigger each time.

musicman691 09-07-2019 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2537393)
Simple as a bad sample. One of the edited sample clips in Superior Drummer 3 must have a cymbal in it and they should have removed that sample. Wouldn't be the first time sample libraries missed a bad sample. If you can find the bad sample, many sample playback engines allow you to remove it from being played/mapped. I can't tell if you can do this in Superior Drummer but since you can import your own samples, it should be possible.

If there are options for "round robin" or randomized sample playback, turn them off so the same samples trigger each time.

Could be the cymbal only shows at certain velocity levels or range of velocity levels. I don't know about SD3 but East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Gold in some of the string samples at certain velocities you hear people talking in the background, noises in the samples (the hall where they recorded the samples - Benaroya Hall in Seattle - sits right over the subway).

The op doesn't say what kit piece he's playing that has the phantom cymbal but I'd start looking at kick then snare and lastly toms (rack & floor). Also turn off any overhead and room mics and just use any direct mics on the kit pieces.