Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   MBOX2 Pro Buying Used/Upgrade Question. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=260189)

malibuproducer 11-26-2009 11:00 AM

MBOX2 Pro Buying Used/Upgrade Question.

Hello folks-
So I'm considering buying a used MBOX2 pro at a great price, but the owner (A used music store in NYC) only has previous version 7.3 of PT in it and no transfer of ownership.

Am I correct in assuming that in order to make this work for me for the future I need to purchase the "official" PT8 LE Boxed version" from Digi/Authorized Store? If so, am I then covered?

Thanks

Bender 11-26-2009 02:25 PM

Re: MBOX2 Pro Buying Used/Upgrade Question.

I have done this before to help a friend get started. I picked up PT8 at Guitar center.

musicalavtech 11-28-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malibuproducer (Post 1503053)
Hello folks-
So I'm considering buying a used MBOX2 pro at a great price, but the owner (A used music store in NYC) only has previous version 7.3 of PT in it and no transfer of ownership.

Am I correct in assuming that in order to make this work for me for the future I need to purchase the "official" PT8 LE Boxed version" from Digi/Authorized Store? If so, am I then covered?

Thanks

If you need to buy PT8 anyway, why not buy a new Mbox2Pro that comes with PT8 and warranty?

emulin 11-29-2009 10:58 AM

I agree - shop around for a new one with PT 8 included, I have seen some pretty good prices recently. It may be more cost effective than buying used and purchasing PT 8.

As to used digi gear, from recent experience, I would not buy anything without a registration transfer.

I just got a used digi 001 with PT LE 6.1 to "supplement" my Mbox2 mini/PT 8 system. No reg transfer. I want to put it on an old WinXP SP2 box, digi will not let me download the 6.4 upgrade as it claims the activation key is "invalid" even though I am typing exactly what is in the front cover of the manual.

glenbird 11-29-2009 12:58 PM

I'm basically asking the same question in my original post:

Mbox 2 with 10.5.8 mac Laptop
I have a very old Laptop Powerbook G4 that I used to run protools LE Free on.
I've since gotten a new Mac and Upgraded to PT 8.
I can't get access to the computer any more as my husband is always on it - so I want to set up my laptop again.

Powerbook G4
1 Ghz PowerPC G4
1 MB L3 cache
1 GB SDRAM

I want to get a MBox2. I have firewire inputs and an external hardrive.
Will my laptop run the protools 8? And is there a way of getting the protools 8 from my husbands computer to mine?

Or will I need to get the protools 8 on a cd?

I was thinking of buying used as I can't afford a new out of the box model.

Also people have been selling used mboxs with the LE 7.? (the one before 8)
could I run that on my laptop?