Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Third Party Interfaces (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Pro tools 10 and Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=323993)

danwillmore 06-12-2012 01:08 PM

Pro tools 10 and Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2

Hello. I have recently bought P.T 10 and the Studiolive desk. I have managed to hook it all together and getting it working to a point. I am having problems setting up a click and headphone mix. I am trying to send them to a headphone amp. I assume i need to send it to my Aux outputs. However i can't see them when i got to my sends output section. I have been to setup and I/O settings but can't see my 6 Aux outs. Can anyone help me?

albee1952 06-12-2012 02:57 PM

Re: Pro tools 10 and Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2

Try going to Setup>IO>output tab and hitting the DEFAULT button. If the paths are not enabled here, Pro Tools will not show them or allow them to be selected and used.

danwillmore 06-14-2012 10:36 AM

Thanks I have tried doing that already just to get it to see the desks inputs. Somebody mentioned that i should create new pathways? what do you think?

Emcha_audio 06-14-2012 11:01 AM

If pro tools doesn't see the pathways with default option, I highly doubt you'll be able to successfully create pathways manually.

WombatStudio.Org 06-14-2012 02:38 PM

I run SL 16.4.2 and PT 10 every day ...

If clicking Default in the I/O Setup doesn't work, does the SL 16.4.2 show up under the hardware tab, and is it selected as your Playback Engine?

WombatStudio.Org 06-14-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danwillmore (Post 1939486)
I am having problems setting up a click and headphone mix. I am trying to send them to a headphone amp. I assume i need to send it to my Aux outputs. However i can't see them when i got to my sends output section. I have been to setup and I/O settings but can't see my 6 Aux outs. Can anyone help me?

I thought of this last, but I am copying it to the start of this post so the rest will make sense:

Think of the SL's 16 channels as your INS and your OUTS and you use the Firewire button on that channel to set it as an OUT (from ProTools) ... If you want to route that channel to a SL Aux (1-6), you use that Aux's MIX button and the FAT CHANNEL encoders. (I'll bet this short part was all you needed =)) ...

I just read your post again and assume you have the things I asked, but how you've worded this makes me think ... well, let me just tell you how I use mine ...

To route ProTools tracks to your SL Auxes, you have to bring them back on a Firewire enabled SL channel and add that channel to the Aux Mix of your choice.

Going through Setup -> I/O ...
Input Tab -> Left as Default, 1-32 all stereo pairs
Output Tab ->

If you select Default, 1-18 is assigned to your 16 channels and 2 Track In L/R
- I renamed "2TrackIn L/R" to "Main Out"

My MAIN OUT goes to 17-18 which comes up on my SL "2 Track In" and I activate the firewire button on there as it is coming into the board via Firewire.

Your Auxes will NOT show as OUTs in I/O Setup ... What would make it easy IMO would be to delete all the other outs and then add back what you need ... (because they default to stereo and mostly you want mono) ... Setup each mono channel you need and select the output to make it on the matrix.

By example:
Tracking using SL 16.4.2 ...
01. SubKick
02. Kick
03. Snare
04. Snare Bot
05. Hat
06. Rack 1
07. Rack 2
08. Floor
09. SR OH
10. SL OH
11. Ride
12. Room
13. Click (From ProTools [Firewire button active on SL])
14. Bass
15. Guitar
16. Vocal

I have the Furman HDS-6 and HR-6 setup right now, so I have 4 mono channel and 1 stereo channel for all headphone mixes)

Aux 1: Furman Ch 1 Vocal
Aux 2: Furman Ch 2 Bass
Aux 3: Furman Ch 3 Guitar
Aux 4: Furman Ch 4 Click
L/R: Furman Stereo Ch 5/6 Drums

(While tracking the drums occupy the stereo mix in the Furman (headphones), but subsequently it's the ProTools "mix" and is used for overdubs and other sends are used for Furman Ch 1-4, Aux1-4 respectively.)

So, to setup that "Click" in ProTools: Setup -> I/O on the Output Tab click "New Path..." it's mono, call it "Click" ... Pick in the visual matrix which channel you want your click to be in on your StudioLive (I picked 13) and now on your Click track you can select the Output to be "Click" and enabling the Firewire return button on your StudioLive will accept that input from your computer.

After drum tracking is done, then we want to do over dubs.

So as we added a Click output, let's add the others we need. Under ProTools: Setup -> I/O click "New Path.." Pick mono or Stereo and name it what makes sense to you (VocalOut, MonOut1, 2, 3 ... whatever) and then either pick the output of that track or put a send on that track to send to the Channel you want that track returned on.

Simply, you could create (ProTools Outs 1-6) and assign them to (SL channels 1-6) and on each Aux mix turn up the same numbered channel to be that particular Aux Send. Basically, I think the step you're missing is activating the firewire on the channel to get the return ...

To route ProTools tracks to your SL Auxes, you have to bring them back on a Firewire enabled SL channel and add that channel to the Aux Mix of your choice.

I try to get nothing returned from ProTools except what I want because of hearing the latency delay or whatever ... So I make assigns that don't exist in ProTools or have use the MuteTone plugin to automagically handle my input monitoring while tracking for me ... But you can cross that bridge when you get there ...

Disclaimer: I have rambled and been distracted while composing/posting this ... I think your answer is up there somewhere ... If not, I promise any specific question will get a much clearer response ...

Think of the SL's 16 channels as your INS and your OUTS and you use the Firewire button on that channel to set it as an OUT (from ProTools) ... If you want to route that channel to a SL Aux (1-6), you use that Aux's MIX button and the FAT CHANNEL encoders. (I'll bet this short part was all you needed =)) ...

David Every 04-21-2013 05:32 PM

Back on the subject of Presonus and PT10.....

I have used Trasher 10 to reset all prefs. But PT10 still will not remember the Input settings for any track, and often crashes and has to be reloaded. After it reloads, and i set all tracks to "No Input" it is usually ok to work with the Presonus 24. I can then set a recording input as usual and do my tracking, then save the session, but it NEVER remembers track input settings.

Can anyone shed any light on this or has anyone had similar experiences ?

Anotherstate 06-28-2014 09:46 AM

Hello Engineers...
I am having or I'm missing some simple (click this or that in my I/O Set-up, obviously) as I have read many posts saying the same thing,
"If you select Default, 1-18 is assigned to your 16 channels and 2 Track In L/R
- I renamed "2TrackIn L/R" to "Main Out"

My MAIN OUT goes to 17-18 which comes up on my SL "2 Track In" and I activate the firewire button on there as it is coming into the board via Firewire.
"
I have done this and ACTIVATED the Firewire Button under 2-Track-in on the SL. Turned up the knob for some volume & NOTHING no Main Out??
I am just trying to get this SL 16.4.2 ai happy with my PT 10.

It's new for me, this theory of 17-18 coming in via Firewire to the SL 2-track.
I did hit the DEFAULT when in the setup I/O and renaming 2-trackIN to MainOut.
"Control or Apple" Click on any of these procedures? I wish they would explain more "How Clearly in the SL PDF Manual".

Thanks for any of your suggestions.:o

David Every 06-28-2014 02:45 PM

I had similar issues with my 24.4.2 and I struggled with it for a while. I ended up assigning the PT output to the last two channels (23/24) and this seems to work much better. You do give up two channels but it seems to be stable.

Anotherstate 06-30-2014 06:53 PM

Thanks for your reply. BUT I'm still hoping I can get ahold of a CS from Presonus or Avid, to give me the answers. OR anyone on DUC. I appreciate your time if you know.... :-)