Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Aggregate Device: Pro Fire 2626 & Fast Track Ultra 8R (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=324344)

RambleOnMusicUK 06-20-2012 02:07 PM

Aggregate Device: Pro Fire 2626 & Fast Track Ultra 8R

Hey folks,

I've been trying to set up an aggregate device to increase my number of XLR inputs from 8 to 16.

Over the past few months I've been using the Fast Track Ultra 8R without much problem. At a Sound Tech Conference I asked an Avid/Pro Tools demonstrator if it would be possible to expand this setup through aggregate devices and he recommended the ProFire 2626.

So, I'm now the proud owner of both the FTU8R and the ProFire 2626. Both are installed with their latest drivers on the Mac (running OS X 10.7.4), and both are sending signal to the driver software on screen when sent from an audio source. I've also recorded audio with them both individually when selecting either device in the "Hardware" and "Playback Engine" parts of the PT10 setup menu.

I've set up the aggregate device to include both pieces of hardware, and selected the new aggregate device in both "Hardware" and "Playback Engine" in the PT10 setup menu.

I have also been through Hard Disk > Library > Preferences, right clicked Get Info, and made sure all the permissions were "Read & Write".

The problem I'm encountering is that it's still only showing the original 8 inputs in the line selection under I/O on the mix window.

If anyone could be of help, that'd be grand!

Cheers.

Pro Tools 10.0.1 (updating to the latest update when it downloads!)
Mac OS X 10.7.4

RambleOnMusicUK 06-20-2012 02:41 PM

Re: Aggregate Device: Pro Fire 2626 & Fast Track Ultra 8R

I've not got both interfaces working as an aggregate, had to go into Set Up I/O, click 'Default' in Inputs and Outputs, then rename the channels.

The Fast Track Ultra 8R is now recording with a half second delay though. I reckon it's a clock issue.

clausiii 06-21-2012 02:41 AM

Why don't you just get an 8 channel preamp with Adat Out?

I messed around with a 2626 and a 610 building an aggregate device with them. It worked, but not perfect, they had different latencies (i sent the same signal to both interfaces and recorded them, the 610 was a few samples behind the 2626´s signal) and the CPU usage was higher. In general this is not supported by M-Audio. It´s working, kind of, but not supported.

mostapha 06-21-2012 04:56 AM

If I'm not an idiot, the 8R is USB and the ProFire is firewire. I'd imagine there's no way to get them to sync up completely.

My suggestion: get rid of the 8R and follow clausiii's suggestion. The focusrite octopre mk2 seems like it'd be good for the price, though I haven't used it.

RambleOnMusicUK 06-21-2012 12:37 PM

I've synced them fine now using the S/PDIF connection on the breakout cables with the ProFire 2626 as the slave.

The problem I'm now encountering is the signal output breaking up and losing gain until it vanishes completely.

Strangely, if I reset the clock on the ProFire 2626 driver window to internal then back to S/PDIF it works fine... for the first play through. Then the second play through it starts crackling and breaking up again, losing gain until it stops working.

Really bizarre problem.

RambleOnMusicUK 06-21-2012 12:57 PM

Turns out I've just been an idiot.

I left the master clock source as the Pro Fire 2626 in the aggregate device. It was causing all kinds of bother.

If I have any further problems I'll add them to this thread, along with an idiots guide to stumbling through them.

clausiii 06-22-2012 12:30 AM

Tip: if you really want to do it that way, look into the Mac's AudioMidi Setup and experiment with the "drift" setting (check/uncheck).
As i said before, aggregate devices work in a way, but there's a far more easier way to get 16 channels analog inputs, with no workarounds, it will not reqiure any more settings to look after, and -most important - it's stable!
Just get an 8ch pre with Adat out.

RambleOnMusicUK 06-24-2012 05:17 PM

Cheers dude, that's my next upgrade plan anyways (8ch pre).

It's all working and stable now I've stopped being a 'tard. Your advice is much appreciated!