Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How do you create a Session template ? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=239107)

kt90 02-11-2009 12:55 PM

How do you create a Session template ?

Can anyone offer advise on how to set up a session template in pro tools ? I know it can be created but i need info on how it's done and how to open up a new session with a template ?
All info appreciated.
Cheers
Keith

albee1952 02-11-2009 01:22 PM

Re: How do you create a Session template ?

This is my method. Create your template session with the proper sample rate and bit depth(this can be created on any drive, including the system drive as you will never actually run it). With your new blank session up on the screen, add all the tracks you will need, add plugins if you want(even calling up presets) and add aux sends and maybe even some VI's(I usually have tracks set with ezdrummer in multi-track mode) and save and close when you are done. Now you can opt to make the file Read Only but I don't bother. Whenever I want that setup, I simply create a new session on my chosen audio drive(same sample rate and bit depth) and immediately go to File>Import Session Data and option click on a track(which will choose all tracks) and click DONE. All the settings and tracks will appear in your new session and the file allocation will default to the correct folder for your new session. If you open the template session and start working with it, intending to save it as something new, your audio may not go where you expect(which is why I use my method).

flommer 02-11-2009 02:08 PM

On the Mac, it works a little differently from how albee describes it..

Get everything set how you want it (tracks, routing, plugs etc.) then save it.

Then, from the Finder, do a "Get Info" on the session document. Somewhere in there, you want to check the box for "save as stationary".

Now, when you want to make a new session from your template, open Protools first (don't open the session to launch Protools). Then, open the template from the file menu. PT will ask you "do you want to create a new session or edit the template?" If you choose new, you will be given a file save dialog that allows you to name the session and move where you want it stored. Note that it will put your new session folder in the template folder if you don't navigate up one level... This is all for PT7.4 and the process may have changed a bit for 8 (I don't have PT8 yet :( )

It all sounds a lot more complicated than it is...

There are 3 good videos on Digi TV called "Music Template Creation" where Phil shows a bunch of good ideas, like creating your groups, memory locations with view settings, etc etc... Check it out:

Accelerated Videos

filosofem 02-11-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flommer (Post 1351497)
the process may have changed a bit for 8

Indeed it has. Saving and Starting Session Template files (.ptt) in Pro Tools 8 is as easy as clicking 'Save As Template' and 'Quick Start Session Dialog'. ;)

filosofem

flommer 02-11-2009 06:46 PM

Damn... I almost bought the upgrade tonight, and started the long download. I talked myself out of it (shakey financial season and all)....

But now you've given me another reason!!!

kt90 02-13-2009 02:05 PM

thanks for all your help.