Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   What now? "must be the same length for the Clip Slide command to complete during reco (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=401790)

Arno Peeters 11-04-2018 10:11 AM

What now? "must be the same length for the Clip Slide command to complete during reco

I'm recording a podcast and while I record 4 channels, I like to move clips around on the timeline for the presenters to be able to comment on it.
Was no problem before, but with 1218.10 I get this:
Quote:

Could not complete your request because the clips on Track "AUDIO" do not appear to match in file size, duration, or position for multichannel processing. These clips and their corresponding audio files must be the same length for the Clip Slide command to complete during record.
What on earth does this mean?
Even copied it to a fresh track (nope) and consolidated a clip) nope...
Reconfigured I/O setup to stereo instead of multichannel: no sir.

What to do?

EDIT: tried this in a fresh session: all fine. imported the problematic track: same problem. Very weird.

john1192 11-05-2018 03:26 PM

Re: What now? "must be the same length for the Clip Slide command to complete during

Hi Arno, was the track that is problematic from an older session ???

cheers john

Arno Peeters 06-03-2019 06:39 AM

Re: What now? "must be the same length for the Clip Slide command to complete during

Sorry to answer so late: no, not from an older session.
Today it happened again: I Googled the error-message
Quote:

Could not complete your request because the clips on Track "Audio 1" do not appear to match in file size, duration, or position for multichannel processing. These clips and their corresponding audio files must be the same length for the Trim Clip Gain command to complete during record.
and ended up at my own post :(

Repaired disk permissions and set drive to ignore ownership, but the error stays: during recording I cannot do anything to clips: fade, move, splice...
Saved a copy of the session, still the same problem.

Any ideas?

Arno Peeters 06-13-2019 03:12 AM

Found my answer in an older post:
Quote:

You've got mono tracks that have been recorded at separate times then moved to a stereo track.
Split stereo whichever tracks you're having trouble with to mono and you should be good :)

That indeed fixed it for me. Now the only thing is to make sure it never happens again. I use a simple dirty trick to prepare a session for a podcast; I import a bunch of items and drag them onto the playback track. Than I switch that track to Tick base and lower the session tempo, making all clips spaced (to be able to record commentary in between) and than switch back to Time-based. Somehow that messes things up, apparently.
Just posting this in case someone else is looking for the same error-message.