Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Pitch II does not work properly! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=352081)

Cartoonguy 03-09-2014 12:13 PM

Pitch II does not work properly!

I have used the Pitch Shift plug in that comes with Pro Tools for years to pitch voices up maybe one semitone. It always sounded great, but now I have Pro Tools 11 and when I use Pitch Shift II to pitch, say, one semitone, it comes out with very noticeable distortions and kind of bubbly sounds here and there, like it's underwater. Not really useable for anything serious.

This surprised me because I had been using this feature on older versions for broadcast work. Never a problem. So I got an old copy of Pro Tools 8 and tried pitching the same sample up one semitone. Lo and behold, it sounded perfect. Same thing in PT 11 and it sounds terrible. Totally unusable due to the noticeable distortions, or whatever it can be called.

Why is Pitch Shift II in PT11 proving to do such a terrible job compared to the old Pitch Shift in PT8? I am using a brand new iMac, by the way.

Sparky1 03-09-2014 02:16 PM

Re: Pitch Shift II does not work properly!

Is there a way for you to reload the plug-in? Maybe it's just not happy...

Sparky

Cartoonguy 03-09-2014 04:41 PM

The plug in just came with Pro Tools, so I don't know how to do that, but I will call Avid on Monday to ask.

bradch00 03-10-2014 08:29 PM

I tried the plug-in with a slight distorted guitar and it didn't seem to impart anything that wasn't already there…. I moved it up a 5th and 7th.

What settings are you using and I'll try those?

Cartoonguy 03-10-2014 08:36 PM

I'm doing this with voices, not singing, but actors doing voice for animation, so very different than a distorted guitar. You could try pitching some voice up 1 semitone and see how it sounds for you.

mrtomcat 03-10-2014 09:59 PM

Other than it needing a tremendous amount of resources it's working really well on my end.
I am not experiencing any distortion

Cartoonguy 03-11-2014 07:00 PM

Good news, sort of. I got to speak to a very helpful Avid Support guy and he tested the issue right then on his own machine and found the same issue as me. That is, the output quality is noticeably inferior. He suggested I used Pro Tools 10 as it is included with 11 and comes with the original Pitch Shift plug in. So I installed PT10, tested and it works great, just as before.

That's really good, but I am still amazed that Avid releases an updated Pitch Shift plugin which is so noticeably inferior in the output quality that it is useless, at least the way I need to use it.

tanjerinepost2 03-19-2014 01:20 PM

I have the same problem and on an animation project, also you used to be able change duration with the old version of Pitch . I know that Time Shift will do that but the pitch shift in Time shift isn't nearly as good as the old Pitch. The quality on Pitch II even dropping a semitones is just rubbish... Can we have the old one back please avid .

Cartoonguy 03-19-2014 01:30 PM

I have heard that Avid recognises that this is an issue with Pitch 2 and are looking into it. Shocking to me that this was not noticed before it was released. I don't get that at all, but hopefully they will fix it. For now, using Pro Tools 10 just for pitching does the job.

brummy17 09-11-2014 09:10 PM

has anyone heard whether Avid are close to resolving this problem? The results of Pitch 2, and even Waves pitch plugs, are terrible in PT 11!