Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Are we not due an update??!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406098)

JFreak 09-02-2019 06:54 AM

Re: Are we not due an update??!!

I am not getting into policies but surely everyone understands they need to sort out that HDX thing first; even though they are working with many other things at the same time, the big buzz about next version will likely be HDX voice upgrade.

Sam C 09-02-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2536953)
I am not getting into policies but surely everyone understands they need to sort out that HDX thing first; even though they are working with many other things at the same time, the big buzz about next version will likely be HDX voice upgrade.

Honestly your unwillingness to understand why most of feel we are being ripped off is frustrating. So if your not going to get into policies maybe stop defending?

moogboy100 09-02-2019 10:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Honestly, I think we are very due for an update... if only to make Pro Tools 64-bit ready for Catalina (because it's not)!!!!!

Pro Tools app is full of 32-bit Quicktime components still. And Avid Link has 32-bit components inside it as well.

JFreak 09-02-2019 10:33 AM

Not defending. IMO Avid should have made their mind regarding this HDX voice thing half a year ago. I'm just waiting what happens, nothing more. If they cannot make a release that works with all cards and they spend a whole year doing just that, they fail in so many ways it would have been far lesser defeat to just accept some pct of cards come back because of the firmware update.

toolz 09-02-2019 03:47 PM

HDX voices is paramount, otherwise, it's just been a year of bug fixes for our subscription, which is weak.

Sardi 09-02-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2536975)
Not defending. IMO Avid should have made their mind regarding this HDX voice thing half a year ago. I'm just waiting what happens, nothing more. If they cannot make a release that works with all cards and they spend a whole year doing just that, they fail in so many ways it would have been far lesser defeat to just accept some pct of cards come back because of the firmware update.

Then they should realise they screwed up and perhaps give everyone an extra year or 6 months extra on their plans.

It is extremely tiring seeing defense for a company that quite frankly, is taking the mickey with these plans that we have to pay for in advance with the promise of feature updates.

If they can’t deliver, then that’s on them. I can’t take an extra fortnight to complete a job because I’m encountering difficulties and then bill my client for the extra work. Why should they?

I’m sorry, but it doesn’t work that way. They get away with it because of the reinstatement fee that no one wants to pay, thus they keep you hooked. Eventually, this won’t be enough and they will lose customers... perhaps in droves. At that point, it’s too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYR123 09-02-2019 08:59 PM

If only avid would not have to chase apples tail all the time they might have the ability to actually have forward thinking designs instead of trailing all the time, chasing the latest Apple update

Sardi 09-02-2019 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2537006)
If only avid would not have to chase apples tail all the time they might have the ability to actually have forward thinking designs instead of trailing all the time, chasing the latest Apple update

I’m sorry, but that really isn’t the case at all. No other developer has the issues that AVID have with OS updates.

Yes, it’s is extremely old code base but honestly, there’s apps out there that are getting on to 10-15 years of existence and they do not have these issues. Apple’s Mac OS has dramatically changed in that time and yet these developers don’t have anywhere near the issues, if any, that AVID has with Pro Tools.

I’ve said this so many times, but they needed to rewrite the app from the core a long time ago. If it meant having concurrent teams with one rewriting and one updating/maintaining the current version, so be it. This is the cost of being in business.

At the end of the day, this is a large organisation, not a mom and pop one man operation.

I’ve used this software for almost 25 years now. Do I want to switch? No. But enough with the excuses. This is solely an AVID issue and they need to address it.

I’m curious. Not being a video guy, does Media Composer suffer the same issues Pro Tools does?

foxes 09-03-2019 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2536994)
Then they should realise they screwed up and perhaps give everyone an extra year or 6 months extra on their plans.

It is extremely tiring seeing defense for a company that quite frankly, is taking the mickey with these plans that we have to pay for in advance with the promise of feature updates.

If they can’t deliver, then that’s on them. I can’t take an extra fortnight to complete a job because I’m encountering difficulties and then bill my client for the extra work. Why should they?

I’m sorry, but it doesn’t work that way. They get away with it because of the reinstatement fee that no one wants to pay, thus they keep you hooked. Eventually, this won’t be enough and they will lose customers... perhaps in droves. At that point, it’s too late.

+1000

QuikDraw 09-03-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxes (Post 2536716)
An update is got to be due this month, that’s what we’re paying for! Avid are taking the pee, they are pushing many including myself to another DAW completely.

When they doubled the price, I updated for 2 more years at the original price, and I started using Studio One for all new work. No problems, no crashes, I've mostly gotten used to the S1 workflow. Then I had to go back to PT for an older project. Latency was a bit high, so I switched my sample buffer. Crash!

I don't work with other studios, so PT compatibility is not important to me. I think I'm pretty much done with Pro Tools. Paying for updates that bring nothing new, and dealing with crashes, not to mention the high CPU load that I don't get in S1. Pro Tools just makes no sense for me any more.