Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Need advice: Ivory grand or Garritan Steinway (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=232007)

audioluche 11-18-2008 07:57 AM

Need advice: Ivory grand or Garritan Steinway

Hi,

I would like to have some advice from those who tried the two (or one!) and know wich sound's the best in your opinion and wich work great in pro tools.

I will mainly use it for pop/rock songs (even metal in a project i'm doing now) so i wonder if Garritan Steinway could sound good in these applications.

My setup: osx 10.4.10, PT 7.4.2, HD 3 accel, 1.5 gig ram.

Thanks for your input!

Luc

EGS 11-18-2008 08:12 AM

Re: Need advice: Ivory grand or Garritan Steinway

I can only speak for Ivory. The quality is truely stunning. Go to the Synthogy site and listen to the audio samples. Cheers.

TimNielsen 11-18-2008 09:46 AM

You might also post this over the Virtual Instrument forum, might get a better response from musicians using the VI pianos.

rinky 11-18-2008 10:50 AM

No doubt, Ivory's the way to go!

Vaporhead 11-18-2008 11:16 AM

+1 for Ivory. It's pretty damn amazing. Also, there are four separate Grands, and now four really cool Uprights to choose from.

HearInc 11-18-2008 11:58 AM

All Ivory for me too. I use the Steinway and Yamaha the most, but the Bosendorfer sneaks in here and there. I gotta get the expanders one of these days.

BradLyons 11-18-2008 01:56 PM

BOth are truly amazing plugins and yield stunning results. You'll hear more about Ivory as it's been out longer, however it is completely deserving of that praise. I must say that I'm impressed mightily with the Model D Pro from Garritan, wow!!! IMHO, it's really going to come down to what YOU want. The great thing is, you can't go wrong with either.

Stig Eliassen 11-18-2008 02:00 PM

I really like Ivory too. Synthogy also recently released Ivory upright pianos which sometimes could be just right in a pop/rock song.

P A M 11-18-2008 03:19 PM

Ivory no doubt, - and also check-out the "Italian Grand" expansion, - its a great addition.
- on a side note, - this plug is just as stable as Digi´s plugs and run great and consistent.

Nice

Cheers

Keybeeetsss 11-18-2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradLyons (Post 1306156)
BOth are truly amazing plugins and yield stunning results. You'll hear more about Ivory as it's been out longer, however it is completely deserving of that praise. I must say that I'm impressed mightily with the Model D Pro from Garritan, wow!!! IMHO, it's really going to come down to what YOU want. The great thing is, you can't go wrong with either.

I agree with what he says.. I think the answers ur getting here are mostly ffrom "Ivory Only" users & not both...They are both wonderful...It's really about what ur preference is, how much Hard Drive space can u spare, & whether u need A Bosendorfer...(wouldn't think so for Rock music buttt) Anyways, just my 2cents....& yes I have both...