Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   routing within pc (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411972)

rhumphries 09-21-2020 02:49 PM

routing within pc

What's everyone using to route signal within their PC? i.e so I can route audio from a web browser and into protools, etc.

On mac I've used Soundflower. On PC I've been using Virtual Audio Cable so far, but it gives me lots of dropouts. What else is around that works well.

Darryl Ramm 09-21-2020 08:33 PM

Re: routing within pc

You can avoid any third party routing software by recording a file from the Windows “Stereo Mix” device and record with anything and import the audio file into Pro Tools.

albee1952 09-23-2020 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2578401)
You can avoid any third party routing software by recording a file from the Windows “Stereo Mix” device and record with anything and import the audio file into Pro Tools.

Indeed, I have never been able to make a direct path into PT without going out and coming back into inputs on my interface. Pretty sure you could do it with Audacity(free) or some other free software. You might also consider Wavelab Elements(which is also handy for burning audio CD's and mastering):o

rhumphries 09-23-2020 04:39 PM

Quote:

Indeed, I have never been able to make a direct path into PT without going out and coming back into inputs on my interface.
Yeah, that's how I do it at my studio where everything is terminated on the patchbay, but I'm working from home a lot these days and trying to figure out a way to do it in the box.

@Darryl Ramm, Are you able to use the "Stereo Mix" device as an input to Protools using Asio4all? I experimented with it today but had no luck so far.

Darryl Ramm 09-24-2020 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhumphries (Post 2578580)
@Darryl Ramm, Are you able to use the "Stereo Mix" device as an input to Protools using Asio4all? I experimented with it today but had no luck so far.

I would not inflict ASIO4ALL on myself. You can't just "ASIO4ALL" the input you have to aggregate that with an output in ASIO4ALL... Pro Tools cannot work without an output... and you cannot aggregate to a HD Native interface with ASIO4ALL.

rhumphries 09-25-2020 09:07 AM

Thanks for your insight. It's been helpful. My home setup isn't using an HD Native interface at the moment, which is I think I need to use Asio4all-- so I can monitor Basehead, Vocalign, etc through PT. If there is another option, I open to it. I've been Mac-centric for the past 15+ years so it's taking me some time to catch up with PC best practices.

Philharmonic7 10-19-2020 12:32 AM

I know you mentioned virtual audio cable, but I suggest downloading VoiceMeeter Potato. It’s the same developers as virtual cable, but it’s a more complete software. The GUI looks like a virtual mixer, and I use it as my virtual router within the PC ecosystem. It can be daunting trying to figure it out, but there’s a ton of tutorial in YouTube to get you started. Give it a shot.

BobbyDazzler 12-09-2020 04:33 PM

On a related note, does anyone have trouble with Protools forcing across the board sample rates?
I have a HDNative>Omni system at 48k (post standard) and I'm trying to run with Source Connect Now (which uses 44k1).
I'm using a Zoom F6 as the I/O for Source Now and it works fine until I launch ProTools, at which point I get a pitch shift and glitches on the return loop.
I've tried all the settings in the Zoom Audio Driver but it makes no difference at all, as soon as PT launches the clocking falls apart.
Edit.... Fixed it. The Windows sound settings seem to override the specific OEM driver settings.